Wedding Woes

Re: .

• Does it really matter what the price was if you love it? Chalk it up to a great deal and move on.
  • I hope you realize that designer dresses, while fitted to you, are still based off of a line. Vera Wang makes a line of dresses. Unless you're talking about getting a tailor to specifically make a dress for you, you will have a dress that someone else might also have. That's how they make their money. I have never ever noticed if someone had the same wedding dress on.
  • After getting engaged, my fiancé gave me a budget of $2,000.00 to spend on my dress. I was planning on getting a designer one, because quality and fit are very important to me. Well, I went to David's Bridal with my grandmother about 3 weeks ago when I was out of state. She really wanted to take me, and I thought that was a good idea, to make her feel involved in the process. So my plan was to try on some dresses and look around, just to SEE what they had and see what styles looked best on me, so that when I went to a designer wedding dress boutique, I knew what souilette I wanted.
    I tried on about 8-10 dresses, before finding one that I was completely crazy about and didn't want to take off. I even tried on a different one after that just to be sure. I was so in love with that dress... And I still am!
    The dress was only about $500, and it fit, looked, FELT designer! I sent my mom and sister a picture of it, and they were so shocked of the price and that the dress was even in David's Bridal in the first place! I bought the dress, and it will arrive at my house in September...
    Since then, I have been getting nervous about my purchase... I don't doubt that the dress was MADE for me, and I absolutely love it. But I guess I'm just thrown off by the fact that its from David's Bridal, where it seems like EVERYONE goes to get a good deal...
    When it all comes down to it, I guess I'm just very bothered by the fact that other women out there will have the same dress as me... And my wedding isn't until February, so what if someone I know gets engaged and married within that time, and she buys the same dress that I bought? I know this may sound crazy, but all of these possibilites are rolling around in my head and I'm getting anxiety wondering whether or not I should have just paid $2,000 and bought a designer dress.
    Have any of you women ever felt like this? Or do you feel like this now about the dress you bought?
    Please-- no negativity. I know it may seem like I'm being over dramatic, but I am only getting married once in my life and I don't want to mess things up. I really just need words of encouragement right now.
    Thank you!!

You do realize that a 2k designer dress is still a middle range heavily mass-produced dress that could pop up at any other bride's wedding. And that $300 flimsy tee shirts at Nordy's still can get those obnoxious holes around where your belt or jeans waist is located second wearing.

So which is bothering you more, that you have a mass produced clone dress or that someone's going to think shopping at David's Bridal is beneath you?
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • No, I'm not embarrassed to say that I got it from David's Bridal at all. I have told multiple people where I got it from, and I am not ashamed because its a gorgeous dress. Believe it or not, I'm not superficial, and I didn't mean for it to seem like that.
    It has just been on my mind so much and I think I'm working myself up about it.
    But the fact that its a massed produced dress is what bothers me I suppose... I guess I figured so many people shop at David's Bridal, that if I got a designer dress, there are probably less people out there who will have it?
  • I doubt that.  Honestly, my dress was a grand, mid level designer and I found 2 different people on the Knot w/it.  Why does it matter so much that noooooooooooooooooo one else "have it"?  It's a dress, it's special b/c it's YOUR WEDDING DAY dress.  I guarantee you probably had a dress for prom or another special occasion that someone else had.

If you want something really uneek, you're going to have to go tailor designed.  And 2 grand probably won't get that done for you.
  • I showed my designer dress to one of my friends and her reply (after saying that it was pretty) was that it looked just like her friend's dress who is getting married about a month before me. This isn't shocking, it's a Jim Hjlem so it's not like it's some unknown designer. 

This does not make me love my dress any less. If anything, the only doubts I'm having is if I should have spent so much money on the dress in the first place.

Be happy you have a dress you love for a wonderful price, even if another bride wears it the weekend before you with your whole guest list in attendance it will look different on you-especially to your groom. 
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    "I know it may seem like I'm being over dramatic, but I am only getting married once in my life and I don't want to mess things up."

You know something's going to get messed up, right? Whether your friend wears the same dress a month earlier, or your cake isn't quite right or whatever? It'll be something. Hopefully it's nothing tragic (You know, like someone actually dies or is seriously injured) and you'll be able to move on. Yes, I remember all of the little things that weren't exactly how I wanted them, even 7.5 years later, but mostly I regret stressing over those things in the first place. 

And I'm with NOLA. Add $1500 to the booze budget! 

Finally - am I the only one skeeved by the whole "my fiance gave me a $2,000 budget for my dress?" Why is the budget distribution not a team effort?

• Moonraffe & DG1-- you're right, that's a great way to look at it. Thanks for the positive input.
    DG1-- my fiancé and I are not living together until we are married. Right now I am not working, and we are spending the summer doing fun things together. When I am working, him and I take turns paying for different things when we are out and about. Money and keeping tabs on each other and who pays for what is not really something we do or have any interest in doing... When we are married, and we live together, what's mine is his and what's his is mine...
    Call me old fashioned, but there is no "I payed for half, now you pay for the other half."
  • My wedding dress was only 249.00 and I love ot it was a 700.00 dress reduced I did sell my first dress from them . We just went to a wedding in january and my others half,s neice wore the dresss i sold I did not realize at the time it was when I brooyght it she just had worn that  dress. If it had not been a family member who wore that same  dress I would have kept it. 
  • My wedding dress was only 249.00 and I love ot it was a 700.00 dress reduced I did sell my first dress from them . We just went to a wedding in january and my others half,s neice wore the dresss i sold I did not realize at the time it was when I brooyght it she just had worn that  dress. If it had not been a family member who wore that same  dress I would have kept it. 

Um....what?
  • If you love you dress then that is all that matters. Use that $1500 for something else, like some extras for your reception, or put it towards your honeymoon

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    IHow many weddings do you go to? What are the chances you are going to see this dress again? And what does it matter!? Who cares if someone else has your dress, it's not like they are going to wear it to your wedding! People aren't going to whisper "Oh she has the same David's Bridal dress that Janet wore last year."

Be assured that no one is going to care. You are going to look beautiful and that is what is going to matter- not who made the dress. The tag isn't going to show, you won't have "David's Bridal" written across the train. Only you and your grandmother will know.
  • DG1 said:
    Finally - am I the only one skeeved by the whole "my fiance gave me a $2,000 budget for my dress?" Why is the budget distribution not a team effort?

No, you're definitely not the only one.  And her explanation didn't really address why the budget isn't a joint project and her FI is unilaterally deciding.

OP, take the money you saved and use it toward your education.  All that "him and me," "payed," "souilette," etc. made my head hurt. 

• I bought my dress at David's. Since then I have noticed through facebook that at least 4 of my friends from all over the country (and one of FI's friend's wife) have worn this same dress in the past 3 years. It doesn't bother me in the least because I know I will look special in it no matter what. In fact, seeing it so much reinforced my thoughts on what a wonderful dress it is for the price!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • SBmini said:

IHow many weddings do you go to? What are the chances you are going to see this dress again? And what does it matter!? Who cares if someone else has your dress, it's not like they are going to wear it to your wedding! People aren't going to whisper "Oh she has the same David's Bridal dress that Janet wore last year."

Be assured that no one is going to care. You are going to look beautiful and that is what is going to matter- not who made the dress. The tag isn't going to show, you won't have "David's Bridal" written across the train. Only you and your grandmother will know.
    I already stated above that it has NOTHING to do with the fact that I bought the dress from David's Bridal. Let the tag show that says "David's Bridal."
    Again, that is not my problem.
    And I care if someone else has the same dress as me. That's the whole point of writing on this board.
    Although my objective was to get woman's opinions (even if they don't agree). But please don't act like my feelings are invalid.
  • Heffalump said:

DG1 said:

No, you're definitely not the only one.  And her explanation didn't really address why the budget isn't a joint project and her FI is unilaterally deciding.

OP, take the money you saved and use it toward your education.  All that "him and me," "payed," "souilette," etc. made my head hurt. 

What about that bothers you?

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2013
    DG1 said:

The fact that it isn't obvious bothers me.

• GBCK said:

Heffalump said:

DG1 said:

The fact that it isn't obvious bothers me.

Ok? Every relationship is different and has its own dynamic. My fiancé is the love of my life, and I am so thankful to have such an amazing man. You don't know the things that have happened in my life, or anything about my fiancé and I. What we do works for us, without a doubt. I wouldn't change one tiny bit of our relationship.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

I already stated above that it has NOTHING to do with the fact that I bought the dress from David's Bridal. Let the tag show that says "David's Bridal." Again, that is not my problem. And I care if someone else has the same dress as me. That's the whole point of writing on this board. Although my objective was to get woman's opinions (even if they don't agree). But please don't act like my feelings are invalid.
    You read my comment the wrong way. I am not attacking you- I am simply trying to explain to you that you have nothing to be concerned about. If you want us to recognize your feelings, a good first step is to recognize ours and not attack us when we try to help you. 
  • cofkelcofkel member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I have a semi-expensive designer dress. I found it because a girl I knew wore it in her wedding and I loved it. So I bought it. Aghast, the same dress, can you believe the cute designer boutique I got it from sold me a dress they had already told to another bride in my town? Me neither but lucky for me they don't give a crap and just want to make money- just like DB.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Look at how many other flags are in this thread.
  • @KnotPorscha : Hey look, someone else abusing the flag system.

• Ooh BURN, my abuse cherry's been popped!
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • What the hell?! How did I miss this clusterfuck?

Anniversary

• did no one quote OP?? or am I blind?
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I'm curious enough about what dress OP got to risk getting a flag for existing.

That and I don't care in the slightest about flags.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• MYYY dress only cost $220 from DB and that included tax and shipping and if some other woman has this dress well screw her because KNOW it look gorgeous in it and my FI is going to thing I wore it best. :D 

*read this in the most obnoxious stuck up voice you can imagine*
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards