Chit Chat
Options

thanks!

edited July 2013 in Chit Chat
thanks for the helpful ideas

Re: thanks!

• Options
    CMGr-We have spent a TON of money already for deposits.  I just feel like why should I move my wedding date because of a mistake she made..again, selfish, but really??  Should my fiance kind of bring up that I am worried his family won't be there? Like, everyone is excited, I feel like someone should say like "wow, we are super excited, and we will be there at the wedding"...just some sort of acknowledgement ya know?
  • Options
    This is true, I shouldnt have called it a mistake, i should have said unplanned, because thats what it was. I just feel like a bitch about all of this. I dont really feel like i am being judgemental, I just wish someone would acknowledge my feelings in all this..
  • Options
    Wow. Just WOW!  You get ONE day! and even if she is due the day before your wedding that does not mean that A) she will deliver on that day and B) if she does that your in laws will miss your wedding. Your FSIL and her BF, FI whatever may miss it but is that REALLY something you can hold against them. Call you vendors and if you are THAT bothered about it being SOOO close to "YOUR SPESHUL DAY" then move it out a month. At the end of the day, all that will matter is that you will be married to the love of your life.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah... lets hope nobody called you a mistake before you were born. Especially not a family member. Because that would be cruel and hurtful and... oh wait...
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Ok, well I guess I can switch my dates as suggested. Thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    Again, thanks for the kind words, and I will be sure to keep this to myself. 
  • Options
    Thank you Libby.  I guess that is what I was trying to get across, about it being hard to be excited..I am veryyyy excited to be an aunt for the first time!! I would never talk to his family about my feelings on this issue. I do have issues with control, and you're right, I don't have control over any of this. Over all, I just hope his family makes it because I would be sad if they weren't there.  getting married, I just feel like it's two families coming together (and it would be a bummer if his family was not there).  I really really didn't mean to come off as being selfish at all-but if wanting his family to share the day with us is being selfish, then so be it. I love his family very much and that's why I am upset they may not be able to come to the wedding.  I am keeping all this to myself-which is why I started this question..I thought maybe someone was had been in a similar situation. So thank you Libby for your advice. :)
  • Options
    Look into changing the date if you can and be supportive of FSIL. She is bringing a new life into this world, that's kinda a big deal. Also, for what its worth, back when I worked for an OB/GYN none of the women gave birth right on the due date, it's really just a well educated guess based on either last period or guessed date of conception(depends on the doctor)
  • Options
    Again, I said I knew I was feeling selfish. And I have also said that will contact the vendors About moving the wedding date. You know, I really was just venting here. I really could have done without the name calling. Think about putting yourself in this situation and the thought of your in laws missing your wedding. Would you be sad/care about that at all? Or would you say 'we'll that's just amazing news!! I really don't care if my in laws would be at the wedding at all!' . I do care about my fiancée feelings too. I hope they come to see their last child get married. Again, I know having a baby is a huge deal!! This is awesome that my In laws will have a grandchild..but wouldn't it be a little odd if you didn't care at all if your in laws came to your/their son's wedding? Yes it is just a day-well aware of that. Having a baby is a huge life event too. I care that my in laws see their son get married. Thank you for the legit advice about calling vendors to change the date.
  • Options
    MollyL86 said:
    This is true, I shouldnt have called it a mistake, i should have said unplanned, because thats what it was. I just feel like a bitch about all of this. I dont really feel like i am being judgemental, I just wish someone would acknowledge my feelings in all this..

No one here is going to validate your emotions here. You're being judgmental and a super diva.

• Options

Keep in mind that regardless of your feelings about the pregnancy and FSIL, the baby didn't ask for this. Calling the baby a "mistake" is uncalled for. Also while their engagement might seem hasty, it's her life and her decision on if they are ready for that commitment.

If the due date really bothers you that much, consider talking with your vendors to reschedule. If you are going with the same ones, I highly doubt they will make you pay down another set of deposits. Depending on your area, dates might still be pretty open especially since you're having a winter wedding. If you decide to keep your date, know that the baby might be born on a completely different date so it might not be an issue. Even if it was due the day before, I doubt FIL's would miss their son's wedding anyways.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Change your date, or risk not having your in laws there. You cant control when a baby comes, but you can control when a wedding happens. & stop being a brat about this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I understand feeling sad about the potential that your in-laws might miss your wedding and seeing their son be married. Good luck.
  • Options
    I get feeling a little bummed at the possible letdown that his family won't be there, but there's really not a lot you can do about it, so I suggest focusing on enjoying planning your wedding and then enjoying the actual day with people who ARE there rather than getting upset about a "what if."

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    What a wretched, selfish way of thinking --that a baby is going to ruin your wedding! There's no validation or support for this because it's not deserved.  If I were in your shoes, I would be entirely happy and I'd just be looking into moving the dates. Worst case scenario, in my family, my parents would attend the wedding and then rush over to the hospital since the baby isn't going anywhere.

I seriously feel bad for the family you are marrying into. Could you imagine how hurtful any of this would sound if you were any member of that family, particularly your husband's parents and sister?

What if it were you, would you feel obligated to plan your pregnancies around one day in someone else's life, 9 months later?

I judge the hell out of you.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    This very thing happened to my mom and dad when they got married 43 years ago.  My Aunt was due to deliver my cousin on their wedding date, and guess what, she was born 2 days before the wedding.  Obviously, my aunt and uncle weren't there, but everyone else was.  It was no big deal.

If you can't move your date, don't worry about it.  These things happen.  Just enjoy your wedding day with the people who can make it, and then go and enjoy time with your new niece or nephew.  It might actually be cool if you shared an anniversary with his or her birthday-a double celebration.

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013

If you're going to move your wedding dAs for the term mistake... I wouldn't say it to your family, but I don't see the big deal. One of my cousins was a "mistake" baby, and the family still loves her. Mistakes aren't always a bad thing... heck, chocolate chip cookies were invented by mistake

Did you seriously just compare inventing chocolate chip cookies to somebody "slut-shaming" their FI's sister ( why else would it matter that they've "only been dating since February"?) because her pregnancy interfering with their wedding plans? Seriously?!?!?

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    I was an unplanned baby. I'd be a little hurt if a family member ran around calling me and my life a mistake.
  • Options
    And just change your date if you're worried about inlaws not being there. Most vendors will allow you to take an open date in their calendar without penalty -especially if you give them enough notice that they can re-book your former date.

We held off setting a firm date because my sister was trying to conceive and it was important to me that she and her husband be at our wedding. We got an all clear when she announced she was due 6 months before the wedding.
  • Options
    To use the word "mistake" implies  an unwelcome error.  Like stage said, "accident" would be a lot more appropriate.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    My third was a delightfully unplanned 'surprise'.  Wouldn't change it for the world!  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    My FSIL is due 2 days after my wedding. FI and I know that it is possible for her baby to come earlier or later than expected. It's not a big deal. I don't know about your FSIL, but mine doesn't want a huge crowd at the hospital the day the baby is born - she's just having the father of her child and her bff there and I believe everyone else will visit the next day. At most, it would probably be your FSIL, her FI and her parents at the hospital instead of your wedding.

Take a deep breath. You've had your freak out, now get over it and move on.
  • Options
    Harry87 said:

PDKH said:

I was an unplanned baby. I'd be a little hurt if a family member ran around calling me and my life a mistake.

My aunt did, and I don't have a relationship with her anymore.

OP, the world has collided and fate has left you in a situation, and it's fine to feel a little bummed about that part. But remember, this baby is going to be your niece / nephew! YOUR little one who will look up at you and call you auntie. Please don't start resenting the baby now.
    Secondly, if you could think of this baby in a loving way, I bet your venue would be much more open to switching your date without any problems. "We simply can't miss the birth! This will be our first time as Aunt and Uncle!" will get you so much farther than "Yeah, we have to move the date because my stupid sister went and got knocked up and like, they won't show at the wedding. UGH!"

Solid advice here. And I'm sorry your aunt is a jerk. I'd cut off contact too. That's so reprehensible.
  • Options
    That would be a tough choice for me to make: the birth of my daughter's child or my son's wedding. You're about to join a new family. Please take their situation into consideration. You're the one who has the ability to change dates, your FSIL has no control. Call your venue and get a list of open dates, then contact the rest of your vendors. Most likely, they will be willing to work with you, as long as they won't be losing any money.

Remember, you get one day for your wedding, not the seven months leading up to it. Other people are allowed to give birth and otherwise live their lives while you're planning your wedding.

• Options
    TXKristan said:
    I got stabby when I first saw the word "mistake".  And I also originally thought OP was being selfish. 

Then I think about all the times I've put my foot in my mouth when having a knee-jerk, emotional reaction.  And I know how I felt like sh!t afterwards.  

She slept on it.  She recognized it was the wrong thing to say.  She's moving on.

I encourage ya'll to do the same.
    This is kinda what I meant but said a lot better. 
  • Options
    HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    The story gets told pretty often in my family about how my grandmother cried for days when she found out she was pregnant with my mother.

It is a mistake to have a one night stand and get pregnant. It is an accident when the condom breaks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards