New York-New York City

restaurant needed for small, low-key wedding meal.

Hi,

I am getting married while on holiday in New York. There will only be 10-12 of us and we'd like to have a nice meal that evening to celebrate.
We don't want any sort of fuss, no decoration or private venue etc., just somewhere which isn't too expensive but has a pleasant atmosphere and tasty food.

Can anybody suggest somewhere that might be nice? Not knowing NYC we don't really know where to start! We're staying on 40th St, between 8th & 9th, so somewhere relatively local to that might be good.

Many thanks :)

Re: restaurant needed for small, low-key wedding meal.

• I am having my rehearsal dinner at Spring Natural Kitchen at 474 Columbus (at 83rd St).  They have a side room (open to the main space but a little more private) that seats about 30 people.  So for 10-12 people they might give you half the room. It's not an especially "fancy" place, think brick walls and perhaps a little loud, but their food is consistently delicious.  Farm to table.  They quoted me $55/person for 3 courses including wine/cocktail.  From your location you would take the A/C/E subway up 4 stops to 81st St.  They have a sister restaurant Spring St. Natural down in Soho.  Call or email them and ask for Rus.

• What kind of food and what's your price range?  Chowhound.com and Yelp.com are great for finding good restaurants. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Lasagna is an excellent Italian restaurant. I went on a couple  of dates here and my mom hosted my graduation dinner here for about 10 people. they are in Chelsea on 8th ave at, close to the 23rd st stop on the E/C train lines.

Here's their contact info:

196 8th Ave
    (between 19th St & 20th St)
    New York, NY 10011
    Neighborhood: Chelsea
    (212) 242-4551

Congrats and hope this works out for you. if you want a different cuisine type let me know.
  • Bobo Restaurant downtown is absolutely adorable and very intimate. They have a small garden/patio area which seems to sit about 20 (with retractable roof in case of rain) and the building itself looks a bit colonial/rustic - beautiful adn they describe it as 'french bohemian chic', equipped with chandeliers and fireplaces. Very reasonable pricing as well. It's not a far distance at all either.

181 W 10th St  New York, NY 10014
    (212) 488-2626

bobonyc.com

• Where will your wedding ceremony be?
  • Bali Nusa Indah
    between 45th & 46th Street on 9th Avenue

They are an Indonesian/Thai and can put together a custom meal for you.
    Go beforehand or call and ask for Melianna.  Say you are a friend of Leesay and that I recommended you go.  

They can do a variety of dishes for all to share including chicken and beef sate, spring rolls, shrimp fritters, basmanti rice, special salad, curry chicken and other tasty dishes that even the most American of tastes would enjoy.  She will block off part of the restaurant for you and your family.  You can put together a nice meal with unlimited wine and soda.  I believe they also have beer.  She will let you bring in your own champagne for the toast and you can bring in your own cake and she will serve with coffee or tea.  You don't give your date, but she would be flexible with you.  Be sure she is there on the date that you book.  The food and service will be exquisite. I figure it would cost you about $30 per person.  If you need a "spot" person here in NY, let me know.  Best of luck.
    Llise
    lliseramos@gmail.com

Telephone/address:   

651 9th Ave  New York, NY 10036
    (212) 265-2200

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards