Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Programs?

Are ceremony programs necessary? We're doing a fairly basic ceremony so do we need them? Just looking for thoughts/comments. Did you have them for a simple ceremony? Why or why not? Thanks :)
 Visit The Knot!                                           image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Programs?

• The ceremony isn't religious or in a church so that's not an issue. Thanks for the input. I'm leaning more towards not having them.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One less detail to worry about!
  • Yeah, don't worry about them if your ceremony is nothing too out of the ordinary. No one will miss them. 
  • I find them rather pointless unless there's something complicated about the wedding. It's a wedding. I know what's coming, I know who the stars are, and I don't really need to know who is playing a supporting role in the production. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think they are a waste of time and money unless you are required by a church to have them.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, they aren't necessary. I did mine because we had a bi-linguel ceremony so I thought it might help people following along having one.
  • edited July 2013

We are doing programs but I made them myself and they are fans so that if people are hot they can fan themselves - overall they cost me less than $50 for 140.

ETA: Outdoor ceremony in July (hopefully)

• We are doing programs but I made them myself and they are fans so that if people are hot they can fan themselves - overall they cost me less than $50 for 140.

Another good example of when programs can be nice

• We did programs because I wanted to, and because they doubled as fans.  I also got to keep them after the event and incorporate one into my wedding scrapbook.

They aren't necessary, but much like a lot of other things about weddings, they are fun trim.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• We are doing programs but I made them myself and they are fans so that if people are hot they can fan themselves - overall they cost me less than $50 for 140.

I'm also having an outdoor ceremony in July- How did you make yours? I was planning on skipping programs altogether- but that's a great idea.
  • I think they are a waste of time and money unless you are required by a church to have them.

They can be useful for explaining unfamiliar parts of a ceremony or to provide tributes to the memories of deceased relatives.  That doesn't make them "a waste of time and money" unless you don't have these issues at your wedding.
  • @ CNJ2021 -  I got a package of yellow paper (my wedding colors are yellow, orange, and red) and printed my program on the paper - used a slicer to cut them all in half.  Then I got some red and orange card stock from AC Moore (I folded the card stock in half and got two programs out of each sheet - depending on your program size you could get more) as well as a box of the jumbo popsicle sticks - Hot glued the popsicle stick to one side of the card stock and the program paper to either side.  I also added some silver sparkly ribbon for a little extra touch.  I also used decorative paper punches to round the edges and make them look pretty.  Hope this helps!  If you need any help just PM and I'll send you some pictures of mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards