October 2014 Weddings

Wedding Dress Search

I was wondering has anyone thought of trying on dresses? If so since dresses cost so much would getting it early and making payments on it sound crazy? I looked at all the wedding dress trends and they haven't changed much since 2009. Besides I want something simple I really don't like the 3D flower look or layers like a cake topper. Any suggestions?!

Re: Wedding Dress Search

• I know it might sound crazy, but I have looked at dresses twice so far! I couldn't help myself... and it was so much fun, I'm definently glad I went! I figured that eventhough our wedding is a little under 2 years away I might as well to go and see what styles were out there. I'm not sure how soon I will buy a dress, but if I find "the one" and its this season (meaning you can't buy it next year), and I'm sure its my dream dress I just might go for it. But I would have to think it over and be absolutly positive, since theres always new styles coming out. If you want something simple and you find a dress that you absolutly love I don't see the problem with buying it ahead of time- as long as you are sure thats the dress you want :) 
  • As crazy as it sounds i already have my dress! Eeekkk!! : I watch what i eat and i have a personal trainer so Im not worried about not fitting into it I tried on so many styles and thought i knew what i wanted but my best friend picked one for me to try and it was perfect!!! It was so different from what i had in my head and if i had looked at it I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought but it ended up being the one. I can't wait to wear it!!
  • Personally, I found a dress pattern that I really like, and my aunt is a really great seamstress. She's going to make it for me. :)  I don't think there's any problem finding one early that you love. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I've been to 3 appointments already. I've also looked at many many websites. I'm kinda picky so I don't see a problem with looking early.
  • i have been looking on websites. there is a bridal place here where i live and i am going to go look and get ideas of what i want. my friend she would maybe make my dress for me.
  • No that doesn't sound crazy! I bought my dress about a week ago after online shopping for five months and trying on a bunch. It was just the right one for my body and I felt fantastic in it. The only thing that stung was the price tag. I much appreciate my FI for putting in the dough for it but if he hadn't I had the option of financing. Honestly, you don't know what will happen and you could lose out on your perfect dress because its too expensive.
  • I've started looking around myself but haven't seen anything I like.  Has anyone bought a dress online without seeing it in person?
  • PrettyGirlLostPrettyGirlLost A Land Filled with Unicorns and Cat Hair member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    EVIC2014 said:
    I was wondering has anyone thought of trying on dresses? If so since dresses cost so much would getting it early and making payments on it sound crazy? I looked at all the wedding dress trends and they haven't changed much since 2009. Besides I want something simple I really don't like the 3D flower look or layers like a cake topper. Any suggestions?!
    I held off on dress shopping until I had my venue secured, but once that was taken care of in March I made appointments at bridal salons in April. . . and I found The One and already have a deposit down, lol!

My consultant suggested not getting measured or placing the order until September or October of this year, and they offer a payment plan option.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I made my first dress appointment for next weekend! I was also worried it's too soon to be looking, but I have ZERO idea what I want or what looks good on me so I think it's good to go so I can at the very least get an idea. 

Plus FH and I already have the ceremony & reception venue, colors, theme, and (somewhat) centerpieces planned. I think looking for the dress makes sense now that we have all of that nailed down.
  • I've had my dress since February 2013.  I bought it without trying it out or seeing it in person.  It's a vintage dress, so there was no ordering or I'll think about it.  I love it, but if will need some alterations.

Best wishes to everyone.

• smalfrie19smalfrie19 Home of SB XLVIII Champs member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    My dress is bought and paid for since dec. its in the closet and needs some aesthetic alterations but nothing else

Anniversary
  • I just bought my dress also.  It was the perfect dress, it fit my theme and it wasn't white!  I really didn't want to purchase it now but I was afraid that since it was Christina Wu spring collection it would be out of production when I was ready.  It's ok though, it won't be in for six months and one of my bridesmaids will store it at her home (:
  • I've been to one appointment and have been relentlessly scouring the internet for dresses I like, but if I find one I do like now, I'm definitely going to hold off on measurements and ordering it, because I gained weight and am trying to lose it still.  Plus, if I like something I see right now, it might be on sale next year when I do order it.  I'm trying to get my bridesmaids to go try on dresses right now though, because i want them to at least narrow it down to a couple styles they like.
  • Dresses scare me. So I am avoiding it like the plague. Luckily there's still time to avoid it safely. But eventually I'll have to agree to find one. I suppose... LOL
    October 2014 September Inspiration: Colors

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Tesa1987 - I feel the same way!!!!!!! 

Visit The Knot!   Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards