Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Signing the license during the ceremony?

Has anyone signed their marriage license as part of their ceremony? If so, where did you fit it in? I'm inclined to think either before or after the ring exchange makes sense, but I'm curious what others have done. In my state, the officiant and witnesses sign it - not the bride and groom.

We're having a very short ceremony that we're writing ourselves (we're having a friend perform the ceremony). We aren't including any extra unity rituals - just a quick intro, declaration of intent, vows and ring exchange. I really like the idea of being 'officially' married before we recess down the aisle. I also feel like it's one less thing to worry about or potentially forget about after the ceremony. 

Re: Signing the license during the ceremony?

• Options
    We did it right after the ring exchange, before we were pronounced husband and wife.
  • Options
    After the rings and the kiss the bride bit. 
    But before the exit (music)

( here you have to sign the cert. During the ceremony - officiant, witnesses and bride and groom)
  • Options
    I really, really want to, however, I can't.  My state the bride and groom do NOT sign the certificate.  (Grrrr, drives me nuts.)
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    Here's what we are doing... rings, unity candle then signing. 

@SilverSarahB  I was at a friend's wedding in a state where the bride and groom didn't sign it so they had a fake marriage license (like a keepsake version or something) and they signed that instead. The guests didn't know the difference. Just a suggestion...
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I've seen it where the bride and groom stand at the altar and watch while the officiant and witnesses sign. This usually occurs right before the recessional. It still makes for a cute photo-op, if that's what you're going for.

Signing a piece of paper yourself during the ceremony just to sign something is silly.

• Options
    Thanks, ladies. I agree with itsmz that signing a piece of paper for ourselves is kind of silly. I'm still trying to picture this I my head to see if it makes sense for us to include. I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    That's a good idea, Linger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards