Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

2 cellos OR cello + violin

So we're almost finished with our ceremony music search, and it comes down to this <drum roll, please> . . . 

Do we choose a cello duet?

Or violin and cello?

Thoughts?  Thanks, Knotties!

Re: 2 cellos OR cello + violin

• Options
    I'm a cellist, so I would say, the more cellos the merrier!  :) I would just make sure your two-cello ensemble can get wedding music arranged for that group of instruments. Usually, violin and cello is a little more standard.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options

I'd say it really depends on what you'd like played at your wedding. For most things, two cellos will be just fine as long as they have proper arrangements like PP said.  

Maybe familiarize yourself with the two different ensembles on YouTube and then go with which sound you like better.

My real vote is viola and cello - sigh, but no one wants to make many of those arrangements.

• Options

Yeah, if you want to have a violin and cello, make sure the arrangement is good.  The ranges are different, so having the violin too high and the cello too low will sound terrible.  Same goes for two cellos.  If arranged well, they'll sound absolutely gorgeous.  But if the arrangment is bad, it can be a muddy disaster, particularly if they're playing low notes that are close to each other.  I'm also a fan of the viola and cello idea, but yeah, arranging for viola is a PITA.

What songs are you using?  Are you going to find already published music, or are you having someone arrange it for you?  I'm a music geek, so I love talking about these types of things :)

• Options

Yeah, if you want to have a violin and cello, make sure the arrangement is good.  The ranges are different, so having the violin too high and the cello too low will sound terrible.  Same goes for two cellos.  If arranged well, they'll sound absolutely gorgeous.  But if the arrangment is bad, it can be a muddy disaster, particularly if they're playing low notes that are close to each other.  I'm also a fan of the viola and cello idea, but yeah, arranging for viola is a PITA.

What songs are you using?  Are you going to find already published music, or are you having someone arrange it for you?  I'm a music geek, so I love talking about these types of things :)

Oh my gosh, I have played some pretty terrible arrangements before! Sometimes the arrangers just don't know how to reduce to two voices. But I'm sure your musicians will have something that works well :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    aekcaekc member
    First Comment
    Thanks for all the advice!!  Also, you just taught me what an arrangement is (= I am not a musician!). :-)
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Cello and violin sound good.
  • Options
    I agree - cello and violin.  The two different voices compliment themselves very well.  Just think about a quartet (2 violins, viola, and cello) - The combination of violin and cello would give a closer sound to a quartet at a (hopefully) reduced price.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards