Virginia

Changing my name

Hey VA Knotties, quick question.

I got married May 18 and would like to get the ball rolling to change my name next week since I will have time off from work. What were the steps you had to take to get it done? How many copies of your marriage certificate did you need? Any tips for a newly(ish)wed? Thanks!

Re: Changing my name

• First you have to update your SSN card.  I was told to get 5 certified copies of the marriage certificate.  I think DMV needs one, although many other places will take a copy.  Do DMV second, then work on passport and everything else.
  • Thank you!
  • I'm so hurt that you didn't just ask ME this. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    I'm so hurt that you didn't just ask ME this. 
    Shut up I thought you were all "totally new" and whatnot in VA. 

Anyway, we're driving down to Dare Co. tomorrow to get 108345 copies of our marriage license and then I'm pounding the pavement (or whatever) to get this thing done! I WANNA BE MRS. L TOO!
  • We have our original and 2 copies of the marriage license. You really don't need a bunch b/c nobody keeps them. You just show it and they hand it back. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    We have our original and 2 copies of the marriage license. You really don't need a bunch b/c nobody keeps them. You just show it and they hand it back. 
    Whaaaaaaaaaat

That's good to know. I was about to get literally five copies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards