Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

To Booze or Not to Booze?

Allrighty then.  Our ceremony will take place at 2pm, and the luncheon reception starts around 3:30.  There will be salad, sandwiches, chowder, fruit, cheese, and the wedding cupcake tower.  We do plan on having a champagne toast ... but am wondering if hosting any booze beyond that is even appropriate?

Re: To Booze or Not to Booze?

• In my group alcohol is expected. Only you know your group. It's fine to not serve alcohol and it is fine to serve it. But don't feel that you need to have a full bar. Especially for a wedding at that time. Beer and Wine would be perfectly fine

On another note: 330 is WAY late for lunch for a lot of people. I know myself and DH would have eaten before going to your wedding, so any food that was served to us would more likely than not go to waste.

• 3:30 is an over-generous estimation, perhaps.  We listed on the invitations a "late lunch reception" to follow the ceremony, which starts at 2pm.  I honestly don't expect the ceremony to last longer than 30 mins, so its more likely that folks could start eating around 2:30, as I think of it.  Although we'd start eating later because of photos, that doesn't mean our guests can't dig in.

Its a very small intimate shindig, and all of them family.  I believe everyone is planning ahead in anticipation of the schedule :)

I'll check into the price of having some light table wines or beer made available.
  • edited July 2013
    Definitely don't change the menu. It sounds great and people WILL eat it. I would have booze because its a complete given in my circle that weddings will have booze regardless of time of day. That said, it's perfectly fine not too and guests will be much less likely to grumble about a dry reception during the day. You could always just have mimosas and bloody Mary's and some beer?
  • Oh you just gave me an idea!  I can research "day cocktails" and go with offering beer and a signature cocktail that is light and picnick-y to go along with the food theme.  Perhaps something based off of lemonade or mint.
  • When I go to a wedding I like having a drink or two.  With that said, I think if you want to offer booze I would go simple with beer, wine and a mixed drink.  With your wedding being in the afternoon people will most likely (but not always) drink as much as if it were at night.  But of course serving no alcohol would be fine as well.  But if you do go the no alcohol route I would nix the champagne toast as well.

• If you can afford it, I would offer booze. If you're thinking beer and a sig cocktail, I always like mojitos, margaritas, and arnold palmers in the afternoon.
    *********************************************************************************

• Beer and wine, or beer and a signature drink would be a great idea.  We served beer, wine, red sangria and a white wine/pink lemonade spritzer with fresh raspberries.   Our venue didn't allow hard alcohol. If they had, I would have done vodka/pink lemonade
  • Rhaethe said:
    Allrighty then.  Our ceremony will take place at 2pm, and the luncheon reception starts around 3:30.  There will be salad, sandwiches, chowder, fruit, cheese, and the wedding cupcake tower.  We do plan on having a champagne toast ... but am wondering if hosting any booze beyond that is even appropriate?

If your reception venue doesn't restrict you against having booze, and you can afford it, I don't see why you shouldn't have it.
  • My standard response: do what fits your style and budget.

I'd have beer and wine, perhaps, but nothing more (read: my budget/my style!).

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Have booze but maybe pay by consumption rather than per person? Since people will probably drink less?

Anniversary

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Booze is not the question, it is the answer. 

Seriously, though, I think it's perfectly fine to serve alcohol beyond champagne if you want it & can afford it. Beer and wine would be fine, or you could add or only offer a signature drink or two. Think sangrias, spiked arnold palmers, etc. 
  • I would definitely have booze!  We had a 12 noon ceremony, cocktail hour was 12:30-1:30, and reception was 1:30-5:30.  We had a full open bar, and I know my guests appreciated it.  For weddings, special occasions, and holidays, day drinking is definitely appropriate. :)
  • Booze, light cocktal can be served at brunch. So 3:30 which is really still part of tea time..then

champagne toast, signature cocktal, all purpose wine , water, with flavored punch.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards