Getting in Shape
Options

Tips to stay motivated?! 8 months out

Hi there! Any brides at the 8-10 month stage having trouble keeping motivated? I would like to lose 15 lbs and am overall eating healthy but need to workout more. I like Pure Barre classes but need to up my cardio and eat a little better. I think it's hard when you're a bit farther from the wedding too but obviously I would like to lose weight the safe way while I still have a lot of time! Any tips on staying motivated and good habits?!

Re: Tips to stay motivated?! 8 months out

• Options
    I didn't really get motivated until my wedding dress came in and didn't fit (I had about 6 inches between where the zipper stopped and where it needed to be).  I then proceeded to watch what I ate (I did not count calories or cut anything out I just ate smaller portions and followed the recommend portion sizes on boxes and containers) and started working out about 5 times a week.  During my BodyCombat classes I would keep repeating "wedding dress, wedding dress, wedding dress" every time I felt tired or wanted to quit.

• Options
    I'm a little over 9 months out, we signed up for our first half marathon in November - that is really motivating me!  

I also got my wedding dress this weekend, so I totally agree with @Maggie0829!  I have the picture on my phone.  I can't wait to do a side by side after my wedding day!  
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • Options
    I went through ups and downs with my motivation regarding wedding goals so I'm kinda useless.. BUT I knew I didn't want to have chunky monkey arms in my wedding photos (my insecurity) so I just kept that in mind. Our E-pics were a good reminded of how I wanted to slim down. 

A HUUUUGE reason for people to jump off the motivation wagon is because they started doing too much too fast. You can't just suddenly go from 0 work out sessions to 6 days a week ya know? It's easy to burn out in the beginning, and it's a reason half of people that start going to the gym, stop within 6 months. (True facts, I'm studying for my AFAA right now ;) ) Small changes (like reducing dairy intake, making a point to eat a cup more veggies per day, not eating after ___pm, etc) and  adding 1 or two work out sessions a week to your current session will help keep you interested and motivated. 
    Also, setting specific goals help. When i burn out at the gym I completely change my schedule and focus on something else. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP's. I am about 4 months out now, and I still use my photo of the day I bought my dress in my phone as motivation, even though I know I am smaller than that day.  There is nothing better to me than a true physical photo reminder of what I actually looked like.  I find that in my mind, I can convince myself that I looked better than I actually did, but if you have a photo, there's not much you can do to fight that evidence.  We had our e-pics taken a little later than usual since we didn't use them for our save the dates, so I also use those photos as a reminder as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    What keeps me motivated is just not feeling like crap. I feel so much better when I workout, not only physically but mentally. I understand my body more - I know the difference between good aches and bad aches, between physically incapable and mentally doing something really hard. I can push myself a lot harder now then I ever could before.

• Options
    I agree with @bwils35. I just feel better and am able to manage my stress better when I'm eating well and getting in some physical activity.

I find motivation to be very different for everyone. I'm trying not to use my wedding as my sole motivation. I obviously want to look the best I can on my wedding day but I also want to lead a healthy lifestyle and show my family (kids some day) a good example.

Something that has worked for me is signing up for an event that requires preparation. My next is a half marathon in October. If you aren't a runner you could look for biking events, walks, swims, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options
    @NonosGirl makes the perfect point (sorry, quotes don't work on my machine)!

Don't make this about one day. Yes, you want to look your best for your wedding, but it shouldn't be the sole reason that you're doing this. Otherwise you will go through this for every life event - I need to lose 10lbs for my high school reunion, I want to drop 10 more for Christmas pictures ... 

Make small changes, and stick to them. Start with one or two, then add more as the weeks pass. Don't do too much too fast, or you risk burning out, like PPs said.

It sounds like you have lots of time to do this. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KJM711KJM711 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks girls!!! It's just a matter of putting it all together! I feel like I'll do really well with eating for a few weeks, then do really well in working out , etc but need to combine them all and keep thinking "wedding dress wedding dress wedding dress!"

• Options
    Im 10 months out as well and in the same boat! Some days I have a heck of a time finding motivation to get to the gym but I actually started taking my measurements weekly and its made me feel more accountable. I dont care if Im not going down for a couple of weeks but I sure as hell dont want to go back up! Its been working for me! :)
  • Options

I'm about 8.5 months out so I also feel like I have plenty of time. I would also like to lose about 15 pounds. I know it's doable but if I keep losing during the week then gaining it back during the weekend then I'll really be in trouble! I'm going dress shopping next weekend and plan on buying a dress a size smaller than I am now. I know - it's not recommended. I gained weight while in grad school and have already lost half of it now that I'm finished with my Master's. I love to workout but also love to eat and drink on the weeekends. I think it just comes down to discipline. Sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, OP, I'm with @xcalygrl on this. Buy what fits you now. As someone who used to work in a bridal salon, I can tell you horror stories about brides who did this same thing. Some dresses have less than a half a size to be let out, so you'd be looking at having to have pieces ADDED to your dress if things didn't work out.

Let me be your cautionary tale; I've been here a year, been working like a dog, and have had NO RESULTS. It's a mystery. I track my food, watch my portions, work out 5x a week ... and there is no change. I may be the exception, but it can obviously happen.

Also, the one thing that most people forget is that bridal/formalwear sizes are WAY smaller than standard sizes, so you will have to order up. What's the big deal? No one will know what's on that tag but you.

I'm not saying that you CAN'T do this. I'm all for anyone who is making positive life changes. Make healthy living and being active a part of everyday life - don't stop after the wedding - and your results are going to be better than if you only think of it as getting down a size for the wedding.

A wedding is one day, being healthy should be for a lifetime!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi! I am getting married in May and I also need to stay focused :) I love Pure Barre and I have seen dramatic results in the 2 months I've been going. How often do you go? I try to go at least 3 times a week (it's far from my house)... but if you go 4-5 times a week, you won't need cardio because it truly is a full body workout. If you enjoy PB, you should just try to go more often! 

Also, I try to find healthy/in shape girls that inspire me and tape them to my mirror where I get ready in the morning. It may also help to tape pics to your fridge and pantry so you remember not to snack stupidly. My fiance is used to my pictures of ladies all over LOL. 
  • Options
    oh.. i also use and love MyFitnessPal app... it's a definite to keep track of my calories and progress!
  • Options
    Thanks! I have been going to Pure Barre about 3 times a week lately. I would like to do cardio once or twice a week as well. The eating has been so so but I need to lessen the carbs. I started a food diary which has helped to see all the little snacks etc! Thanks for all the encouragement- we have 8 months we can do it!!!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat! 11 months until the wedding, and I've already gone through the "motivated/burn out" cycle a couple of times. I think the mistake I'm making each time is putting too much pressure on myself to completely change my lifestyle overnight, so I definitely agree that making small changes over time is the way to go! 

We also signed up for a half marathon in November and a couple of 5k's in the meantime. I always keep an eye on my group-on emails for fun offers like kick-boxing or crew lessons just to mix it up a bit!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
  • Options
    I'm a little over 10 months out until my wedding. I signed up for a few half marathons between now and then and also pay for a couple group classes (TRX and Nike Training Club). I find that having something to work for and also putting in a little money into it helps me stay on track. I also have a friend who works out with me, so we hold each other accountable. Struggling a little bit with the healthy diet (I have a horrible sweet tooth) but just trying to make small and hopefully long-lasting changes one at a time.
  • Options
    I use instragram to keep me motivated. There are so many fitness accounts, and it's really supportive. I find new workouts to try, there's tons of progress pics from other users (i think it's hugely inspirational to see how far others have come) and there's always something motivational being posted. I love it and I'm obsessed. 
  • Options
    Thanks!! Are there any particular people to follow that would be good (I'm new to Instragram)...or do you just search things like diet, health, weight loss?
  • Options
    I find I get stressed when I obsess too much, leading me to eat MORE. Calorie counting has never gone well for me because of that. I think it's worth doing for some time to get an idea of the calorie and other macro counts in foods to get an idea of portion control and what foods to eat a lot vs what foods to only eat once in a while, but past that it seems to backfire on me. If you do want to track, myfitnesspal is a great app and website. 

Most gyms let you buy some sort of fitness class pass. I did this at my school gym so now I'm trying to go to a class each day- there's zumba, kettlebell, pilates, stand-up-paddleboarding, yoga, circuits, etc. It pushes me harder and longer than I would on my own and it's a lot more fun than plugging away at an elliptical forever. 
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm 8 months out, but taking epix and dress shopping in 8 weeks. I 've been working out regularly since april & lost 15lbs, but lost motivation in the summer to loose the other 15lbs I wanted to. I started up again last week with the c210k app. I love that it builds you up slowly, so as pp said, you dont do too much too soon & burn out.

To get motivated (i'm a visual person), I filled a jar with 15 marbles, one for each lb I want to loose. Everytime I loose a lb (I weigh in only once a week), I take a marble out and put it into another jar. To track my 4x a week exercise, I bought post-it flags & labled four "week 1", four "week 2" & so on, until I had 8 weeks worth, and stuck them to my wall. Every time I work out, I remove a flag. I chose rewards to give myself at the end of every 4 weeks. It's been working really well for me.

I use myfitness pal also & love it.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    KJM711 said:
    Thanks!! Are there any particular people to follow that would be good (I'm new to Instragram)...or do you just search things like diet, health, weight loss?
    Definitely do a bit of searching. I'm a bit of a hashtag whore =P I like to look at motivation, fitness, girlswithmuscle, healthspo, etc. 

If you'd like a friend, my IG account is beastofabombshell 
    I post some of my progress on my IG account, but i've been slacking lately so its mostly just motivation pictures right now lol 

ETA: I'm a big fan of fitsporate, femalemotivation, slimfitbean (she posts lots of food and recipes!), gymknowledge (they post various workouts/proper form for each).  There's a million awesome accounts, but if you do your hashtag searches, you can find them all easily. 
  • Options
    Thanks- I just followed you :)! I found a lot that way and also weddingmotivation, weightlosstransformation, etc. Good idea! I am following a few trainers too.

For blogs, I really like Mama Laughlin and Undressed Skeleton.

I just started the Advocare 24 day challenge. A few friends did it with great results so I figured it would be good to jump start things. I'll report back on my progress :)

Thanks for all your great ideas fellow brides to be!!!
  • Options
    SoreyFitnessSoreyFitness member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I'm about 9 months out! :) We're getting married in June!! What about you? 

First off, is 15lbs realistic? I just ask because sometimes the goal is too extreme, and it can hold me back...like PFT I'm never going to get to X weight so screw it! Give me the cupcake!
    • I focus on having protein, veggies/fruit, and a healthy fat at every meal. I did the Whole 30 a few months ago for the first time, and I absolutely loved it. It's not a fad diet by any means. It's basically eating stuff from the ground and skipping processed stuff. :)
    • I carry healthy snacks and shake packets with me all the time. Just in case I am out and get hungry -- the snacks help me from going to fast food places. 
    • I do a shake once a day just because it helps me stay focused and it's easier to prep than a salad, but its a total personal call (if you need shake ideas just let me know--I have an embarrassing amount of recipes lol) I don't do more than 1 because I know I'd go nuts. 1 shake is just easy for me to fix for lunch or breakfast. :P
    • I lift weights 2 times a week and do high intensity interval (HIIT) workouts 3 days a week.1 day I get to pick what I want to do (hiking, rock climbing, walking the dog, yoga, pilates, etc). HIIT workouts are short so you can be done in about 25-30 minutes or less. :) A lot of the HIIT workouts use your own body weight to tone your muscles as well, and they blast fat faster than traditional cardio. I workout at home most days to DVDs because it's easier for me than driving to a gym (I'm in the boondocks lol)
    • Don't starve or deprive yourself. Every single time I diet, I end up binging on the third day. I think it's mental, but I have a small (about 100-250 calorie) treat every day....it can be whatever I want but it has to be in my calorie limit. Does that make sense?
    • Find a group to support you -- whether it's here or facebook. I'm a good private group onFB where I share my progress with other girls and it helps me stay focused. :) I can add you if you want if it would help, but there are a bunch of threads here too :) my profile is fb.com/kaleesorey if you'd like me to add you to it
    • Get enough sleep -- They've shown 8 hours helps your metabolism
    I hope that helps! :) If you have any questions or want to see what I've been eating (I lost 1-2lbs a week and am at goal weight. Now I am working on toning) I can send them to you, but I'm not a nutritionist or anything. Just love this kind of stuff :P I also have my meal plans on my blog (soreyfitness)

• Options
    Hey y'all!  I have til July til I see my future hubby again and wear that lovely gown.  I want to whittle down two sizes and lose 25 lbs by then.  I love working out about as much as I love drinking bleach while holding a lit match to my skin.  However, the amount of embarrassment I'd have for failing at my goal is stronger than my dislike for gym time.  I also failed my AF PT test today so I don't want to fail again.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with a goal!
  • Options
    @KJM711 I thought I would share: I found a new Instagram account today called "yourdailyshake" :) they post smoothie/shake recipes. And they all look delicious.
  • Options
    Thanks again for all your help! Advocare was helpful to start with and I've just been doing Pure Barre and eating smaller portions... I've lost 5
    Lbs so far... 10 to go!
  • Options
    When I am struggling with my lazy days or wanting to eat the unhealthy stuff, I check out my running motivation and fitness motivation boards on pinterest.  Those pins do wonders for my motivation!. 
  • Options
    what i have done is posted a picture of the model  in my dress and a picture of me in the same dress side by side on my mirror
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards