Hawaii
Options

Maui-Honeymoon

Hello there! How's everyone's Monday? I hope it's been going well for all you knotties. =)

Does anyone know which city/location is the best place to stay in Maui? Is West Maui better than South or vice-versa? My fiance lived there about 8 years ago and he said there should be much more to do now than back then.

I want to start re-searching/budgeting for our honeymoon.

What types of things are there to do? Places to eat? Nightlife? Etc? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maui-Honeymoon

• Options
    Charmed59Charmed59 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Best would depend on what you are looking for.

Starting from the north, Kapalua is a wonderful resort with excellent tennis and golf and beautiful beaches.  It is rather upscale, and doesn't have much of an evening scene.  It is secluded.

Next down the coast is Kaanapali.  This is a bigger resort with a range of accomodations and activities.  Again there is golf, a bit less tennis, nice beaches.  The advantage of Kaanapali is the beach walk that takes you from one end of the hotels to the other, and it's close proximity to Lahaina. Lahainia is a very cute whaler village with lots of shops, bars and restaurants and most importantly a harbor where you can pick up snokeling, sunset sails, and parasailing adventures.  

Continuing down the coast, Wailea/Makena is the next big resort area.  Wailea is similar to Kaanapali in there is a a walk from one end to the other, so you can sample restaurants at all the hotels.  And their is a small shopping center in the middle, and it is close to a town with nightlife (Kihei). There is tennis and golf and snorkeling off the beaches.The difference is Wailea is more spread out, and a bit more upscale.  If you are going to take day trips to Hana or perhaps going upcountry to zipline, Wailea is a more central location.

Hana is on the south of the island.  It is a beautiful drive to reach there, but it is a remote part of the island.  There's lots of great hiking and nature site seeing on that side of the island.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thank you!  I'm writing these down...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally like the North-west area just south of Kapalua (Napili & Kahana). It's quieter, more rugged and you can get great ocean front condos. We always stay at the Kahana Village and I cannot recommend them enough! Condo #3 was our wedding condo and it was SO gorgeous. Anyway, I like the snorkeling and kayaking in the area, and hate crowds, so it works for me. But, with it being quieter, there's less of a nightlife (read: none i Kahana really - save the Maui Brewing Company and Roy's).

Ka'anapali is way more bustling, and I always think of it as the main tourist strip. Gorgeous beaches, and lots of restaurants.

The south area of Wailea has several big and more expensive resorts, so there tends to be fewer kids in my experience and it's gorgeous down there too. If we didn't like Kahana so much, we'd probably do that area. It's also quieter than Ka'anapali, but there's more to do than in Kahana!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Hawaii for our honeymoon as well :) We are staying on Maui the first week, in Ka'anapali. It's a bit pricey, but we did a lot of research and ultimately decided that it was the best for us. There is a LOT to do, and it is also beautiful and romantic.. the best of both worlds!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Kihei and Wailea are differnet enough they are worth calling out.  Kihei tends to be less expensive than Wailea -- Wailea has high end resorts, higher end condos, lavish mansions, etc.  Kihei has strip malls, a range of condos, and restaurants within walking distance.  I didn't love Kihei (I am a spoiled brat and love fancy hotels) but it was incredibly convenient to not have to get in a car in order to eat / get some toiletrees, etc.

I've never stayed in Kahana / Kapalua but I have driven by and LOVE how pretty it is.  I wouldn't mind having a quiet escape, but again, it just depends on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great! I'm jotting all this down. Thank you ladies! Tanq- beautiful pic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BeardGonsalezBeardGonsalez member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mamas Fish house!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards