Wedding Etiquette Forum

Who gets welcome bags

I've been wondering about welcome bags. I get welcome bags for people who have to get one a plane to come to my wedding. But what about people staying at the hotel that are technically local. There are people that are only an hour away but are staying over becuase it's a late reception, a fancy, hotel, an opportunity to be out and do something special. Do these people really need a welcome bag? I said this to my wedding coordinator and she made a face like that was wierd. 

What are your thoughts on only out of town guests getting welcome bags as opposed to all people in the hotel. 

Re: Who gets welcome bags

• I have the SAME question!!!
  • Hi - Anyone staying at the hotel. A) it's the polite, correct thing to do; b) there is no way for the hotel to know who flew in. much easier for you. 

• Agree with PPs that anyone staying at a blocked hotel really should receive a welcome bag. Imagine the time you'd spend figuring out who's flying in or not - what a pain that would be.
  • Either be genuinely welcoming and give them to everyone staying in the hotel or don't bother.
  • snippet17 said:

I've been wondering about welcome bags. I get welcome bags for people who have to get one a plane to come to my wedding. But what about people staying at the hotel that are technically local. There are people that are only an hour away but are staying over becuase it's a late reception, a fancy, hotel, an opportunity to be out and do something special. Do these people really need a welcome bag? I said this to my wedding coordinator and she made a face like that was wierd. 

What are your thoughts on only out of town guests getting welcome bags as opposed to all people in the hotel. 

No one needs or has to get a welcome bag. Give a welcome bag to anyone that is staying at the hotel. Either give the bags to all guests/couple/family staying at the hotel or give it to none of them.

All of this. Welcome bags are not required. But if you do them don't try to decide who is "worthy" of one and who isn't. This an all or nothing situation.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Welcome bags aren't necessary.  But if you're going to do them, do it for everyone or no one.
  • Think of it like other wedding stuff - either everyone gets one or no one gets one, just like you wouldn't serve champagne to some guests and soda to others.

Also, it will be much, much easier for the hotel staff. Most hotels keep the bags behind the front desk and then give them to anyone checking into that room block (unless you're putting names on the bags, which I don't recommend since the hotel staff will have to dig through all of them instead of just grabbing one). They won't really know who flew in and who drove, and if it's a busy weekend, they won't have time to bother with that.
  • Everyone or no one. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • one more question - what if people are traveling in but staying with family rather than at a hotel?  Would I still make them a welcome bag?  And one for the family they're staying with as well?

Thanks!

• I gave them to anyone staying at hotel...and it is actually the MOST practical because the hotel just hands them out to people in the block. They will have no way of knowing who is outta town and wh isn't..They just have a general note in the block to give them one.

(and even then, many of my guests didnt get one..I had word of mouth spread to tell them to go ask if they didn't get it)

• kryan32 said:

one more question - what if people are traveling in but staying with family rather than at a hotel?  Would I still make them a welcome bag?  And one for the family they're staying with as well?

Thanks!

I would skip those.  Just have them for people staying at the hotel.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    fyrefly76 said:
    Just because you're local doesn't mean you won't appreciate a bottle of water (so you don't have to buy one for $3 from the mini bar), a list of weekend activities, and anything else that would be included in a gift basket.
    This.  I'm often a local, staying in a hotel.  I always appreciate a bottle of water, snacks, or aspirin.  Even though I live locally, that's not the first thing I think to pack.  I'd make sure to give to everyone at the hotel, or none at all.  It's a nice gesture, and if you can do it, I would.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have never heard of this in real life, just on TheKnot.  Just not common in my region.
  • Another vote for all or none regardless of how far they've traveled.  I don't think anything of it when I don't get a welcome bag, but I would if I saw other wedding guests at my hotel with them.  Plus like PPs have said, it's WAY easier on the hotel staff and lowers the risk they'll give them out incorrectly.

And there is no need to do bags for people staying with local family- in addition to being unnecessary that sounds like it'd be hard to coordinate, and I'd be afraid I'd forget one house and offend someone.
  • KJirasKJiras member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Agree with PPs for all guests staying at the hotel, or none at all. Also, my hotel won't allow us to personalize them by name (not like I want one more thing to do anyway!) so your hotel may have stipulations on handing them out. No welcome bags are necessary for those staying with friends/family - that would be crazy difficult to coordinate/track and as a guest in their friends home they likely will have access to water/snacks/etc. where as hotel guests would have to purchase such things.
  • I wouldn't worry about those staying with family. The hotel welcome bags are usually little things like candy and water and guides on what to do in the area. If family is hosting them, they can just grab a glass of water, and I'm sure the family will have food/snacks at the ready. Plus, the family is more likely to say, "We should go here," or, "Here are directions to a great restaurant." Welcome bags are sort of a replacement for those amenities. :)

If you're really concerned and have cute maps or guides or something, you could always give a few stacks to the families who are hosting so they can all pick stuff to do together.
  • We are doing welcome bags as well. It is a destination wedding, so deciding that everyone will get one was a no-brainer. Still trying to decide how to distribute. I agree it's a tricky thing. Especially when some people aren't staying in the hotel. What if they decide to stay in a different hotel or rent a condo? Do you take them to the wedding and just let people know? Have you thought about that?
  • Thanks for the advice about bags for people staying with family - I'll just stick to making them for those staying at the hotel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards