Chit Chat
Options

Everything happens for a reason

So a while back I had decided on the spot to quit the place I was working. I was treated horribly (to put it mildly). Basically the employer thought that it was a man's job and I had no business working there. He also thought that women should not work at all yet his wife is a doctor...

Anyway, I got a job through a temp agency and it was a much better job (not in my field / degree I graduated with but still a good job). Anyway something happened and they suddenly had to let 90% of the people go. 

At first I was upset by this but now I kind of see it as a blessing in disguise because we are in what I would say is a heat wave for where I live. I know this is probably nothing for others but for we live its a heat wave. Anyway, because I currently am not working, I am able to be at home with our cats during this heat and make sure that they're water is full and cold for them throughout the day (I have had to fill it a couple times already) and try to make it as comfortable as possible by having the AC on. 

Anyone else have a situation that turned out to be a blessing in disguise?

Re: Everything happens for a reason

• Options
    mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I've had MANY blessings in disguise in the last few years.  My H lost his job and was unemployed for two years. I call it a blessing because it helped us put our lives into perspective and value the little things. We were living a pretty frivolous lifestyle; living on a budget was challenging but benefit us in the end.

I'm from So Cal so we also experience heat waves (110+); my dog just lays on my kitchen floor and drinks ice water, I don't babysit him though; he stays inside for the most part and goes outside to do with necessities.
  • Options
    OP, I get the feeling that I'm missing part of your story.

Did your AC fail and you were able to save your animals because you were home instead of at work? And that's why it's a blessing?
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, I think I'm missing something.  It's 100 degrees here and Miss Kitty stays home alone in the air conditioning just fine.  And lays in the sun coming in from the windows like a crazy lady.
  • Options
    I'm confused as well. My dog just stays home in the AC with water when we're having a heat wave. Did your AC fail?
  • Options
    My office is actually TOO cold.  I have to turn on a space heater.  When it's literally 100 degrees out.  Not kidding.
  • Options
    LMc0322 said:
    My office is actually TOO cold.  I have to turn on a space heater.  When it's literally 100 degrees out.  Not kidding.
    The air conditioner at work broke this morning. I work at a preschool and during he summer iWeb host a summer camp. We had 50 kids inside because it was too hot to go outside and the building was close to 85 degrees. It was MISERABLE. Still, I would take that over no income. 

• Options
    It's 90 degrees here, and our cats CHOOSE to go outside and lie on our back porch. I am so confised, but yes, I have had lots of blessings in disguise.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    kathrynrf said:
    LMc0322 said:
    The air conditioner at work broke this morning. I work at a preschool and during he summer iWeb host a summer camp. We had 50 kids inside because it was too hot to go outside and the building was close to 85 degrees. It was MISERABLE. Still, I would take that over no income. 

Oh barf.  That sounds awful.
  • Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    Maybe OP doesn't have a/c?    I still don't think being unemployed so I could refill a water dish is a blessing, but I think it's pretty elitist to assume that everyone has A/C.
  • Options
    @QueerFemme
    She said that she had her AC on in her Op.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    LiLe422 said:
    @QueerFemme She said that she had her AC on in her Op.
    My bad. Reading fail. Please proceed.
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

I mean, personally, I would never leave a pet outdoors if the temperature was over 75-85 degrees.  I would have them inside with the A/C on.  If I didn't have A/C, I would go buy a window unit.   But, I doubt I'd say home to hand feed them icewater.

ETA:  of course, I don't leave my pets outside, ever... even if the weather is perfect.  If they are outside, I'm outside.

• Options

I mean, personally, I would never leave a pet outdoors if the temperature was over 75-85 degrees.  I would have them inside with the A/C on.  If I didn't have A/C, I would go buy a window unit.   But, I doubt I'd say home to hand feed them icewater.

ETA:  of course, I don't leave my pets outside, ever... even if the weather is perfect.  If they are outside, I'm outside.

We are not currently living in our own home. FIL doesn't want two large dogs inside his house. If we had our own, they would be inside when it gets hot. But they prefer to be outside when its good weather. They want to be inside when its hot or raining.

that sucks.  I don't know how people live with their inlaws without killing someone! 
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    As CMGr said yes I am trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Plus this time of me not working gives me time to find a decent job in my field which was hard to do with the last one I had because of the hours I worked. 

Also, my AC was on when I made this post but is now no longer working. It stopped about 2 hours after I posted.

Our cats drink a lot of water and they have a habbit of knocking over the water bowl so more bowls = bigger mess to clean up. 

I apologize if my original post was not clear on that. 
  • Options
    Ugh, hope your AC is fixed soon!
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    I hope so too otherwise it will be going with out AC until we can afford to buy another one. Going without AC would suck but it wont be the end of the world. I will just have to come up with some creative ways to cool the place down. I'm always up for a challenge. Lol :)
  • Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    I didn't think about the tub. That is a good idea. I will have to try that.
  • Options
    I wish AC existed around here.  We're in the phase of summer where its balls hot.  Yeah, people of tropical climates would laugh their asses off at us, but we're Vermonters, and we're not used to 95 degree weather with 100% humidity.  We always have a couple consistent weeks a year that are like this, and it's awful, because NO ONE has AC.  I don't even have AC at work, even though it's technically against the rules.  I dunno, days like this, I'm jealous of people with AC.  I don't even have it in my car.  My wedding is gonna be unbearable.

ANYWAY, yes, I've had those moments.  I went on a crazy-ass path for the first few years after high school.  I went to one school far away, and had so many health problems that I had to return and do community college for a while, and then ended up in an in-state school that I didn't really like and was below me academically.  It was a frustrating process, but by going to this school, I ended up meeting some amazing people, including my FI.  Everything happens for a reason, even if it takes you a while to see it!
  • Options
    I get what you're saying, OP.

I was in a similar situation. My job had to let a bunch if us go. I was upset and all that, but it forced me to look for another job which if course I like better. I mean, at no point was it good I lost my good paying job, but now my better paying job doesn't make miserable... and I wouldn't have found this job had I not been laid off.

I'm not sure if I believe in fate and everything happening for a reason, but I do believe that when one door closes another one opens for those who take the initiative, KWIM.
  • Options
    tarratall said:
    I foster cats and have 3. They drink our shower water too after we wash up. Human tea.
    @tarratall

My cats do that too.  H says they're drinking "mom/dad soup."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

LiLe422 said:
    tarratall said:
    I foster cats and have 3. They drink our shower water too after we wash up. Human tea.
    @tarratall

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a cat that does this! I shoo the little stinker away because I don't want her drinking soap, but she's stealthy. Silly kitties.

Anniversary

• Options

LiLe422 said:
    tarratall said:
    @tarratall

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a cat that does this! I shoo the little stinker away because I don't want her drinking soap, but she's stealthy. Silly kitties.

Anniversary

• Options
    We rented our current apartment site unseen from 1500 miles away, and were told it was a first floor apartment.  When we got here and I realized it was actually garden level, I was pretty annoyed.  But this week when it's 100 degrees outside and stays 75 in the apartment without a/c since it's buried, I'm loving the garden level life.  Definitely a blessing in disguise.

My ignorance is showing.. what is a garden level apartment? Are you in a basement?
  • Options
    hlvonb said:
    I will just have to come up with some creative ways to cool the place down. I'm always up for a challenge. Lol :)
    When our AC was out, we made a janky swamp cooler by putting a bowl of ice water behind a regular fan and ran it. It worked really, really well. My fiance used it when he lived in a house in Middle Tennessee with no AC (which is something I didn't know existed until he told me because sweet jeebus it's hot as shit here all the damn time).

• Options

LiLe422 said:

tarratall said:

@tarratall

Our beagle likes to lick our toes dry after we shower, and pokes her head in to let us know she's waiting! Pets are seriously entertaining.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    LMc0322 said:
    We rented our current apartment site unseen from 1500 miles away, and were told it was a first floor apartment.  When we got here and I realized it was actually garden level, I was pretty annoyed.  But this week when it's 100 degrees outside and stays 75 in the apartment without a/c since it's buried, I'm loving the garden level life.  Definitely a blessing in disguise.

My ignorance is showing.. what is a garden level apartment? Are you in a basement?
    More like a half-basement.  We're buried up until about waist high.
    Oh ok! Yeah, that sounds like it would be way better in super hot weather like this :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards