Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wegman's Wedding Cake

My fiancee and I are on a pretty tight budget. Our wedding is in December and we've been considering our options for cake. I had originally picked out a bakery that I thought was reasonable but a coworker of mine, who is also getting married, went there and got a quote for $600 for approximately 100 guests. We don't have that kind of money to spend on a cake that most people wont even eat! 

I have been scoping out grocery stores, and tasting lots of cakes (not good for my wedding diet plan!) and have decided that Wegman's has the best tasting cakes. We get sheet cakes from there for work functions and their sheet cakes are very reasonable ($40 for a full sheet). The cake is delicious too! 

I was considering a "show" cake - 2 layers for cutting and saving the top tier for anniversary and a sheet cake. 

Has anyone done this before? How about Wegmans cakes? Good option? 

Re: Wegman's Wedding Cake

• Have you checked to see what Wegman's charges for a display cake as well as for the sheet cake? It may be a lot less than a smaller bakery that specializes in wedding cakes, or it may not. 

Other options you may not have thought of:
    - You can actually get bakeries to do a display cake in which only one layer is actually cake (the other are styrofoam or something of the sort). That's the layer you cut for the photos and all, and then they wheel the cake into the back and cut pieces for everyone from the sheet cakes they have waiting there. That option can be totally budget friendly and no one knows the difference.
    - I also know that our bakery offered an option where you could pick one of their pre-designed cakes (ie - more of a standard wedding cake, you don't get to design your own) and then pick off a shorter list of cake flavors. This was quite budget friendly (starting at about $150 for a wedding your size.) I don't know if lots of bakeries do this or not, but it's a nice option.

Not sure if I actually answered your question or not, but hope I could help a bit.
  • My cousin did the display cake with sheet cakes in the back, and it was fine. We're doing the same thing for our wedding as well.
    Wegmans should be fine, check yelp reviwss for your store, and also price compare local bakers with the sheet cake plan. Our Bakers sheet cakes were very reasonable. (Basicly, everything allispain said already)

Anniversary
  • fake cakes known as cakes made out of foam and decorated can cost just as much as a real cake. it takes just as much time to decorate a dummy cake as it is a regular cake and almost all places charge the same amount.. wegmans might have tiered wedding cakes that they make and they will be much cheeper than a bakery cake from a bakery.. 

do you have a giant near you? they make some good cakes we have their sister grocery store where i live stop and shop and they do tiered wedding cakes 
  • What do you mean by "a cake that most people won't even eat"?

• I don't know where you are from but I live in Bettendorf, IA and for my cake I'm going to, Cakes by Kay. This is a one women bakery and she is amazing. Also reasonably priced.  For 100 guests your cake would probably be around $150.  

• I just love Wegman's!  Their ultimate chocolate and vanilla cakes are out of this world!  Just a suggestion, but Wegmans lastest kick are the little tiered cakes, could feed maybe 2-4 people at most.  Why not get one of those decorated in white and then the sheet cakes? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards