Nevada-Las Vegas

No reception...

13»

Re: No reception...

• missax said:
    In Response to Re: No reception...:
    Well, I think quite the opposite of most people here. If you can't afford the reception, just don't have one. If your family and friends go to Vegas to attend your wedding and already know about your financial restrictions, I think they will understand. If they find it rude, they just have to stay at home. I don't think struggling into debts is the best solution.

If they travel to Vegas, they expect to spend money on meals and entertainment. It's not one paid meal that will change something in the end.
    Posted by SnowWhiteMontreal
    I can't agree with that; for two reasons.  First, they shouldn't have to share their financial issues with anyone, and making the assumption that they don't choose to tell everyone they know that they're in bad financial shape, that means people will be surprised there's no reception.  I'm sure if they know in advance the guests will still go, but if a family member invited me to a destination wedding and said ther'ed be no reception, I'd judge...   Second, my opinion is that if you're in such a dire financial situation that you don't have an extra $1k to throw a reception for your wedding guests, well, then to be blunt, you should not be traveling to Vegas to get married in the first place.

Travel is not cheap, hotels are not cheap, dining out is not cheap, honeymoons are not cheap, and if someone is in such a situation, spending even more money on flying off to get married somewhere is just financially irresponsible. 

Money is one of the most common, if not THE most common, cause of arguments in marriage, and ultimately failures of the marriage.  Spending money you don't have to get married in an expensive tourist destination, going into a marriage in bad financial shape, etc. is just asking for trouble down the line.  Can't tell you how many friends I know who 'moved in together to save money' or got married to 'save money' are, well, no longer married.
    I couldn't agree with this more. It's beyond rude to not do something even if it's getting sandwich trays from jason's deli and hanging out in your suite.

As for the person who "eloped" with guests... that's the silliest thing i've ever heard. You didn't elope if you had guests attend whether you sent invitations or not. If you were going to truly elope they wouldn't have known to go in the first place.

Well this convo got serious!! But I think MIXXAS is right. If it was a true elopement, no one know, that's the reason why its called in elopement. If you invite people in advance then its a wedding. I think you should do something for them. Pizza and beer, that cant be that much money.

Im a traditional wedding and a sit down reception. But its fits our budget. The only problem we have run into is the alcohol. Its too expensive to have an open bar but I didn't want to be "cheap" and have my guest pay for their own drinks. They spent so much money coming o celebrate with us. How could I not buy their drinks. We decided to just put a certain about, about $800-1000 towards an open bar. Once that is up then our guest will have to pay.

• I agree with most of your post @missax but @wrigleyville's comments were rude. Im a firm believer that you can be honest and criticize constructively without being offensive and thats what I look for on this board.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards