Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Hymn to remember Grandparents

2»

Re: Hymn to remember Grandparents

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @mariakhristine  You could mention your grandparents during the Prayer of the Faithful. My family usually has those loved ones, who were very close, mentioned by name at that time in the mass. It doesn't break anyone down, but it's a touching way to remember those who aren't with us physically. In addition, if your grandmother had a favorite hymn, consider playing it during communion, a time when the congregation will quietly praying. You could make a note in your program that it was grandmother's favorite hymn. 

I ditto @mobkaz suggestion for "I Am the Bread of Life" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4CapSBM8UA

The hym brings a beautiful, uplifting message.

I have never seen unity candles used at Catholic weddings, but I attended a wedding where the priest allowed the bride and groom to light a candle with their baptismal candles that their mothers had saved. 

edit - spelling

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @MariaKhristine.....I also wanted to mention that another way you could honor your grandparents would be by having the DJ play one of their favorite songs during the reception.  
  • Options
    Thanks so much, mobkaz and mairepoppy. My fiance and I will look at those tonight (still trying to figure out the song, but it is so helpful to have options/ideas!). And with the hymn coming after communion, I think "I am the Bread of Life" would be great and would fit in well.

The Prayer of the Faithful is a good idea also, thank you. I hadn't thought of saying the names out loud there, but you're right, that might be a good place. I would like to do a special song because she loved music and singing, so I'll talk to my grandpa about other ones she loved. (The one I know she loved the most is already playing for the mothers' entrance, Hail Mary/Gentle Woman.)
  • Options
    The prayer of the faithful is the part of the mass where the petitions and intentions are read and the congregation responds 'We pray to the Lord' or 'Lord hear our prayer.' 

• Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think the prayer of the faithful would be most appropriate.

But you could also easily have a specific hymn played during the communion processionals and that would be fine too.  I wouldn't necessarily mention it in the programs though, just let it be known via word of mouth and in your hearts that you picked that hymn for your beloved family members and that should be enough.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No need to call names. It wasn't what I was planning. Perhaps it was unclear; I'm not denying that. But I also never said anything about there being a formal announcement, nor did I mention many of the things I was accused of by other posters. (In fact, some of the things I was accused of had already been specifically mentioned, such as the fact that we have discussed this with all of our family members.) 

If you look back at the history of postings, I unfortunately had to defend myself against behavior I never mentioned taking in the first place, and I also had to repeat myself several times. It was very frustrating. "Inserting hooplah" wasn't aimed at any one person specifically; it was the culmination of many people making assumptions. If there wasn't enough information, someone could have asked or clarified. 

I didn't intend to come across as rude. Just frustrated. Regardless, in future posts I will provide more detail. 
  • Options
    On Eagle's Wings. Here I Am, Lord
  • Options
    kstan08kstan08 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I think memorials are absolutely a celebration. To include my grandparents in the most joyous day of my life would make me all the happier. Memorials celebrate a life that has left a legacy and contributed so much to those left behind. As she said, her grandmother was close to her. So, in my opinion, as long as she felt the presence or a wink down to earth from Granny during her wedding that made her fill up with warm fuzzies, more power to her! I'm using my grandma's pearls and have brooches in my bouquet that were hers. To each her own! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am a fan of of incorporating a loved ones favorite a flower or carrying something that use to belong to them like a piece of jewlery, handkerchief, pin, etc. You and those closest to you will know the meaning, but it will be a suttle thing. You will miss the ones that can't be there and to expet you not think of that on your wedding day is not reasonable. The moment of prayer is beautiful thing to add because it gives everyone who has lost a loved a moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards