Plus-Sized

So Nervous!

Hello ladies!

I'm a newbie here..recently engaged and I have to say - I have so much anxiety about dress shopping! I've been reading the boards here for some time, and I'm familiar with the designers that are best for us curvy ladies, but I still can't help but feel so scared at the thought of having to go try on dresses. I'm a street size 26, and I have noticed that quite a few designers have dresses that go up to a size 26, which makes me think, what now? I keep hearing that my wedding dress I will most likely have to go up a size or two, but since I'm already at the top, what are my options? I can't really afford to spend a crazy amount of money on a dress, so which designers aren't going to cost me a ton but offer some of the larger sizes? Thanks so much!!

Re: So Nervous!

• DeeDee28x said:
    Hello ladies!

I'm a newbie here..recently engaged and I have to say - I have so much anxiety about dress shopping! I've been reading the boards here for some time, and I'm familiar with the designers that are best for us curvy ladies, but I still can't help but feel so scared at the thought of having to go try on dresses. I'm a street size 26, and I have noticed that quite a few designers have dresses that go up to a size 26, which makes me think, what now? I keep hearing that my wedding dress I will most likely have to go up a size or two, but since I'm already at the top, what are my options? I can't really afford to spend a crazy amount of money on a dress, so which designers aren't going to cost me a ton but offer some of the larger sizes? Thanks so much!!

Alfred Angelo and Mori lee are good, budget minded designers that go up to a size 30-32 (in the $700-1500.00 range), Bonny dresses also go up to that size and are in the same price range.

you can also try going non-bridal store.  Igigi.com and Sydney's Closet has some really gorgeous dresses.  Just pay particular attention to the size chart and return policy.

• I had a lot of anxiety about dress shopping too....I looked at MILLIONS of dresses online and I went to a bunch of different shops, but the best dress designer that I found was Alfred Angelo. I wear a 20-22 normally, my dress is a 20 and it is TOO BIG!! I highly recommend them.....You will find the dress that you will look AMAZING in, just gotta have faith!!
  • Also keep in mind that places like David's Bridal which do carry sizes 28-30. Usually you purchase the higher size for 100 dollars more. It's a pain, but its doable. Just ask your consultant!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was EXACTLY the same way! I was so, so scared... I called DB to talk to them before I made an appt, and asked them if I should even bother coming in to try dresses on because they wouldn't fit. They were so, so sweet and told me YES! Come in!!!! They explained that a lot of dresses they have in store don't fit even much smaller women, but they will get you into one. And they did! By all accounts I am over a size 26, and I found a size 26 dress that I fit into, and they showed me how they would alter it to fit!!! :) They were so, so kind, and when I was flustered and nervous, they calmed me down. I was worried I would have to order online and be stuck with something I didn't like because of online return policies, but they really did allow me to have a great experience!! :) I say go to david's bridal and see! 
  • PS: I got my dress on the clearance rack for $250, and had to do about $190 of alterations, plus a bustle! So still, I am getting it for under $600! 
  • Thank you all so much for the input! I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna check out DB and Alfred Angelo and see how I do..I've heard so many horror stories about DB, but I'm gonna try it out. There's also a few dresses from AA that I've seen online that I've basically fallen in love with...I can't wait to start trying on dresses. I just hope they have lots for me to try on :)
  • Keep in mind that all designers, and styles will fit differently. I was scared to go shopping, but I found dresses I could try on. My sizes ranged from my street size to two above it. And don't hesitate to flat out ask the bridal shops what they have. If they're good they'll understand why you're asking these questions. 

Just my two cents. Happy dress hunting!!!!!
    October 2014 September Inspiration: Colors

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I found that when I called DB to schedule my appt, I told them my worries and they were so, so kind!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards