Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Venue not allowing "non-certified" wedding cake

I need some advice! I am early in the wedding planning and searching for venues in Boston.  It is really important to my fiance that his mom makes our wedding cake (she is not certified, but she has made cakes for money before).  I asked the venue if we would be able to bring our own cake for dessert and they responded that it would be fine, we would just have to prove it came from a certified bakery.   We have an appointment with this venue today - is this something that I can negotiate?   Will I run into this problem with other venues?   It's not even necessarily a cost-saving issue - it's important to my fiance - and he hasn't had many strong opinions on the wedding planning so far!

Thanks for your help!
Jodi

Re: Venue not allowing "non-certified" wedding cake

• Options
    If your FMIL isn't affiliated with a "certified bakery" then she can't do your wedding cake if you use this venue.  I think you and your FI will have to decide if it's more important to use this venue or have your FMIL bake your wedding cake.  But don't lie to this venue that she is certified.
  • Options

Yes, you could run into this problem with other venues.  Venues do this as an insurance policy for themselves.

Like Jen said you have to make a decision between going with this venue or having your FMIL bake your wedding cake.

Another idea would be to have your FMIL bake a cake for your rehearsal dinner instead.

• Options

Yes, you could run into this problem with other venues.  Venues do this as an insurance policy for themselves.

Like Jen said you have to make a decision between going with this venue or having your FMIL bake your wedding cake.

Another idea would be to have your FMIL bake a cake for your rehearsal dinner instead.

I like this idea.  It's a nice compromise.
  • Options
    As I have interviewed venues when one of our girls is getting married, I found some who would "look the other way"on the cake coming from a commercial, licensed kitchen, but most would not.
    You really can't blame them though.  They are liable for ANY food poisoning that occurs at your event so allowing cake made in a non-commercial, unlicensed kitchen brings about a lot of risk to them.

Many, many years ago there was a bride who posted on the cakes board.  Her grandma made ALL the family wedding cakes.  Well, this bride didn't check with her venue and when grandma came to deliver the wedding cake for 300 guests it was refused.  There was no wedding cake for the reception, and the family had 300 servings of cake on their hands!

I think having mom do something for the rehearsal would be a great idea.
  • Options
    you dont want to run the risk that the person at the venue said it was ok  but then when the date of the wedding comes not evernone at the venue was on board with this and they refuse to accept your cake. i would have her make the cakes for the rehersal dinner and the bridal shower and maybe one for your bacholorett party as a comprimise. 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

I like this idea.  It's a nice compromise.
    Agreed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards