Wedding Etiquette Forum

My brother's finacee asked my sister to be a bridesmaid but not me, very little advice out there

2»

Re: My brother's finacee asked my sister to be a bridesmaid but not me, very little advice out there

• I understand being upset.  My SIL chose my twin sister to be a BM because my sister is considered "the pretty one" while I am "the sporty one".  Yes, she actually told my brother that my sister would look better in pictures, and that my "big shoulders" might ruin the BM dress she had chosen.

You just have to be gracious and let it go.  Please don't let this ruin any family get togethers - life is way too short.
  • WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    jm22jm said:
    I understand being upset.  My SIL chose my twin sister to be a BM because my sister is considered "the pretty one" while I am "the sporty one".  Yes, she actually told my brother that my sister would look better in pictures, and that my "big shoulders" might ruin the BM dress she had chosen.

You just have to be gracious and let it go.  Please don't let this ruin any family get togethers - life is way too short.
    How awful and shallow---Your SIL should be ashamed of herself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jm22jm said:
    I understand being upset.  My SIL chose my twin sister to be a BM because my sister is considered "the pretty one" while I am "the sporty one".  Yes, she actually told my brother that my sister would look better in pictures, and that my "big shoulders" might ruin the BM dress she had chosen.
    What the actual f.cuk? That's shallow BS! Geez man. 
    ~* Matron of Honor *~

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • jm22jm said:

Seriously?? That's awful! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    I can completely relate. When my brother & his fiancee were planning their wedding they had said they were only having a best man & maid of honor. I helped my SIL with wedding details...her gown...planned & financed her shower etc. A month before the wedding, someone took great pleasure in telling me that not only was there a huge bridal party, all of my siblings (4) were it in. The biggest shock to me was that my sister was asked. They hardly knew each other (sis lives in another state) and the one time they did meet my sis called her a "whore."

I was completely devastated. I couldnt even attend the shower the next day, I hurt so bad (never mind my eyes were swollen so bad from crying). Without my asking, his FI called me up & started to cry as she told me that she didnt want to hurt me but that she wanted my sis to feel a part of the family! (didnt matter that I felt excluded from this family affair). My brother visited and told me that he always thought it would be me standing up there with them...but because we (sis & I) didnt get along they didnt want a fight to break out! We've never fought in our lives!! He asked me to do a reading and I simply said, thanks but dont throw me a bone.

I went to the wedding of course, and it was an extremely difficult experience. After the ceremony, everyone walked away to have pics done. I saw all my siblings go one way as I walked the other. As I was walking away, someone from the brides side approached and told me that I was a better person then she was, because if she were "ditched" like I was, she wouldnt have attended & she offered to buy me a drink. I skipped cocktail hr and went up to my room and cried for an hr. I then fixed my makeup, went to reception and let that woman buy me a drink (I had several more). :)

Turns out there was a huge fight...cops called...bride/groom sent to their rooms. A big disaster! I had NOTHING to do with it, but my sis & 2 of my brothers were involved! HA! Allow me to say KARMA!

It still stings (6 years later) when I visit them and see their wall of pics with everyone there....all that wonderful history...and Im not included but...I feels absolutely perfect that I wasnt included in the drama that ruined the wedding either. :)

I really am sorry that you are hurting. I have no different advice then other pp's...but to say time will heal unless more hurt is thrown on it. Chose your battles wisely.

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • jm22jm said:

Woah...that's horrible!  First of all, I'm glad you rocked the athletic body : ) but a) that's horrible that be did that, but b) why did your brother tell you that? 
  • I know that a bride has no obligation to include anyone in the wedding party, but it seems really shitty to me to pick one sister and not the other if you're not close to either. Especially since in that case you're really just extending the invite to the FSIL as a courtesy or to even out the wedding party numbers.

OP, I'd be upset too and I completely understand, but at the end of the day I think you need to move on and get past this. 
    Anniversary
  • LAM2228 That's pretty cruel...Your SIL was a JERK for that... (and I'm being nice by calling her just a jerk) and so was your brother.  He should've manned up on that one.  

Either way, you've moved passed it for the most part, just as others of us who've been left out have. That's still what OP needs to do. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards