October 2013 Weddings

Pass along for your men

So my FI and I just went out and got his suit for the wedding we ended up going to moores and bout his suit if anyone is like me and wondering the differencebetween a suit and a tuxedo its the buttons lol. so we got everything he needed at moores they just finished a buy one suit get the second suit or sport jacket free so we just went and bout two suits shirts ect. that he needed about $2000 worth of clothes for $1000. keep an eye out for their sale to come on again just to say tuxedo rentals are $200 for a day if you have your fiance and groomsman they could all get a new suit to keep for around $250 each.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pass along for your men

• It's not just the buttons, ftr. I know @SewinLoveWithDMB could go into this in more detail since she's a prof of fashion... but, it also has to do with the pants (I believe tux pants have a satin/different material stripe down the leg) and the cut of the jacket. Suit jackets, I think (please, correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) hit higher on the body than tuxedo jackets. The lapels are also, to my knowledge, dramatically different. 

But, that's awesome you were able to purchase him two new suits for that price.
  • edited July 2013
    We were hoping to do the same thing and have the guys buy suits instead of renting tuxedos, but I actually don't know of Moore's in our area and it would have been rather expensive. We ended up renting tuxedos from Jos. A Bank.

Although the buttons do differ from a tuxedo and a suit, there are other differences as well. As stated by @lplions, the big, noticeable difference is the presence of satin. A tuxedo will have a stripe of satin on the pant legs and satin in the lapels. The buttons on the tuxedo are also often faced with satin too.

Generally, tuxedos are worn with shirts with pleats that have French cuffs. You can also wear a French cuff shirt with a suit, but you definitely see it with a tuxedo. The shoes worn with each also differ.

There are some points in that article that aren't always correct or perfect, but it's pretty good.

Choosing tuxedo vs. suit generally sets the entire tone for your event. To be absolutely dress correct, a tuxedo is only worn to evening formal affairs. A formal day time affair would then signify wearing of a morning suit, which is a whole other outfit for men. (Think the guests at Kate and William's wedding). However, I find this is not being done as often anymore and honestly, it makes me kind of sad.

Our wedding is also in the morning, and FI chose a grey tuxedo. It's technically not "fashion correct for the time of day" but it's not a battle I was ever willing to have or make - whatever makes him happy is good for me. He chose a grey tuxedo (since he originally wanted grey suits and this looked fairly close and was easy for all the men to rent.)

OP - I'm sure FI and his groomsmen will look great!

Edited for clarity.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• The trim on a tuxedo can also be grosgrain as opposed to satin. 

Another major difference is the structure and build of the pant, specifically in the waistline. Whether for purchase or rental, there would typically be side buckles built into the side of the waistline. This feature runs consistent from rental, to off the rack, to made-to-measure, to bespoke.

The shirt for a tux would be a tuxedo shirt (with many options for trim and details), where as a suit would be a choice between a dress shirt or a sport shirt. Either of those could have french cuffs, but the other trim would also be different, especially in the structure of the paneling at the buttons. You would typically never wear a tuxedo shirt with a suit. 
  • We are renting the guy's tuxes from Men's Wearhouse. We have groomsmen that live all over the country, so this was a perfect option since they have locations all over. We got a great deal on the rentals and my FI gets his for free, plus a $500 credit towards a new suit.
  • We're renting tuxes from a local guy because none of the chains impressed me.  Whereas the local guy, well, he's local, his prices beat all the competitors hands down, he's personable, and even made some GREAT suggestions when I dragged FI in to talk with him.

And, multiple 5 star Yelp ratings.  :)
  • The trim on a tuxedo can also be grosgrain as opposed to satin. 

Another major difference is the structure and build of the pant, specifically in the waistline. Whether for purchase or rental, there would typically be side buckles built into the side of the waistline. This feature runs consistent from rental, to off the rack, to made-to-measure, to bespoke.

The shirt for a tux would be a tuxedo shirt (with many options for trim and details), where as a suit would be a choice between a dress shirt or a sport shirt. Either of those could have french cuffs, but the other trim would also be different, especially in the structure of the paneling at the buttons. You would typically never wear a tuxedo shirt with a suit. 
    If you get a tuxedo with grosgrain, then you should ensure that the tie is grosgrain as well (or matte silk). Also, since tuxedo pants do not have belt loops, you should get suspenders to hold up your pants, or when renting get the adjustable pants in the smallest size you can wear
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards