June 2014 Weddings

June, but I want a dark reception ..

My brain is fried. I put $400 dollars down (non-refundable) on this beautiful reception venue and then I got to thinking .. that's not where I want my reception. This is how I always pictured my reception: evening, dark, smooth jazz music playing, romantic setting, dimly lit with candles as everyone eats their food. And then it of course switches to being fun and upbeat once everyone stops eating and the dancing starts (my favorite part).

I fear this place will make it feel so much less formal. Like a picnic. I have looked at pictures that were taken at other weddings there and I cringe .. yes, it's beautiful! But just not me! (and my fiance doesn't really have a preference, so it's all one me). We have to end the reception at 9:30. It will have just gotten dark (I live on the east coast) at this time. My venue is on a lake and it prides itself on having tons of windows so you can see the lake. I just made the decision to book there WAY too quickly so I feel obligated to have my reception there. I just don't see how it's possible to have this romantic/jazz/candle-lit reception when it's super bright. There are so many windows that it'd be really difficult to cover them all .. and with what?

I don't know what I'm asking .. I'm just really bummed about this and needed to vent. Help me find my sanity?

Re: June, but I want a dark reception ..

• Can you have reception start later and end later so you have more time in the dark?  Can you talk to the venue about suggestions? Would it be out of budget to talk to a rental furniture company, about drapings or curtains?  A my FSIL she had tall drapings covering most of the walls of her reception venue to match her color scheme,

Anniversary

• I got caught up in the excitement of wedding dress shopping and picked something my mom really liked but now I'm not so crazy about - I have to decide if I want to pay for another dress. 

If you can't get your venue to accomodate a later reception then it comes down whether or not you're willing to forfeit $400.  If it means that much to you, then you just have to find a way to trim that money from somewhere else in the budget (assuming budget is a factor) so that you can have the setting you want. You shouldn't feel obligated to have it there.  At the end of the day it's a business transaction for the venue.  They may not be happy that you cancel but that's why they build in a non refundable deposit in the contract. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards