Moms and Maids

Mason Jars? Can someone explain this to me?!

Mobile: Mason Jars? Can someone explain this to me?!

Ok, I got married in 2009. Its not THAT far removed from today, right? Can someone explain to me how a dang Mason Jar is a gift? I saw this in another thread and if someone gave that to me as a gift for being in their bridal party then I would be so confused. A little compact mirror? Sure. Jewelry? Ok. Even a little personalized pen set for my purse, but a JAR? Please, can someone enlighten me? I don't understand! 
~* Matron of Honor *~

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Mason Jars? Can someone explain this to me?!

• An empty jar? That's silly. A jar with homemade goodies in it would be awesome, though, if the giver knew the receiver liked that kind of goodies.

The only other reason would be if a BM collected vintage Ball mason jars or something, and the bride ran across a hard to find size/color/handle/something and wanted to give it for her friend. I don't know enough about vintage mason jars to know if that's a thing, but maybe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No, can't explain that. Mason jars are for making jelly and they'll do as candle holders, during a power outage. 

• Liter-size Mason jars also make excellent water glasses. When we moved into our house (an old farmhouse), the previous onwers left a box of Mason jars in the basement. I'm not a canner and we didn't want to throw them out, so I use them as water glasses. I like to drink a lot of water!
  • Just an empty jar?! We had looked into giving mason jars with cookie/cake/spice/soup mixes as favors since I am a big baker and love to cook! But, I've never heard of just an empty jar. I would be confused myself if that were to happen! 
  • Just an empty jar?! We had looked into giving mason jars with cookie/cake/spice/soup mixes as favors since I am a big baker and love to cook! But, I've never heard of just an empty jar. I would be confused myself if that were to happen! 
    I would like the mix in a jar.  If any are left behind, you can take them home and use them at a later date. 

I think that bride was having mason jars monogrammed and those were the gifts for the wedding party. Someone suggested she write a personalized letter to each bm and gm and put those in the jars, which was a very nice idea.

• I'd totally take a mason jar full of booze as a present.
  • It isn't just a jar, it is a MASON jar.  Those are much cuter then regular jars.  Duh!

But yeah, giving just an empty jar, even personalized on the outside, is just plain dumb.  That is unless the person collects mason jars and then it would be an appropriate gift.

Now if you fill that baby up with chocolate or cookies or booze or money, then I would certainly love that random jar :)

• Grabows14Grabows14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    IMHO I have no idea how this trend started, but I want it to die. Especially I want it to die on Pinterest. You cannot drink out of these.... so country chic
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I don't understand if it was just a plain jar. But there are many different creative ways to incorporate them. My fiancé's last name is Kerr so we are looking at fun ways to incorporate a Kerr jar (similar to a mason jar) in our reception and I am in love with some centerpiece ideas! 

The trend goes along with the new trend of a country-chic wedding. Although from the South, my wedding won't be country-chic, however I love being able to have cute way to incorporate our name in the wedding! 
  • Now I like to eat and say the bride gave me a whole set of mason jars filled with pickles, sauces, jellies and jams then I would very happily receive those jars and not judge the shit out of her.
    I once got a small mason jar filled with home made salsa, and I think that was the best wedding favour I've ever seen! And, for the record, I still use the jar now, to transport things like milk and smoothies to work. If it had been given to me empty though... well, I'd have left it on the table!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @scribe95 it's just my preference before I got engaged I never saw mason jars before or if I did I never saw them used as anything other than a jar for jam... It's hard to imagine so many brides use them now as gifts or vases or whatever
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Grabows14 said:
    IMHO I have no idea how this trend started, but I want it to die. Especially I want it to die on Pinterest. You cannot drink out of these.... so country chic

I'm living proof that one can drink out of a Mason jar.
  • GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    That's weird.
  • My guess is this bride was more concerned with keeping her "country chic" theme than her bridesmaids.
  • scribe95 said:
    Eh, I've been drinking out of mason jars at various family members' homes for a decade. Never thought there was anything weird about it
    I don't think drinking out of them is weird. I think giving them as gifts is odd. 
    ~* Matron of Honor *~

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Beer bread mix in a jar is awesome as well.
  • I've seen it at a craft show I participate in, but haven't bought it myself. I'll look around when I go this fall, but in the meantime this one looks like a winner: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-beer-bread-mix/
  • Because it's RUSTIC, and they saw it on PINTEREST!  Ergo, it's the chic thing to do. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Now I love the idea of cake in a jar or brownies in a jar. What a great Christmas gift! And I love baking so I would love something like this. Woohoo, now I know what I am doing this Christmas. I'll betcha it's cheaper (with the dry ingredients) compared to the "chic" mason jars they are selling at crafts stores too. Hahaha
    I do this all the time for family members and friends at Christmas. Everyone seems to like and appreciate them, and there are loads of recipes online! I also have half a dozen "gift-in-a-jar" recipe books at home.

http://marymae.tripod.com/jarlinks.htm (lots of various jar recipes)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/johnnys-grub-rub/detail.aspx (really good meat rub; not a jar recipe, but I made it into one, and the men in my family loved it.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't see what the big deal is about the mason jar rant.  People use them for lots of things and if you don't know the context in which the gift was given then it's not fair to judge.  A lot of people like to decorate with them.  I received one as a favor with m&m's at a wedding.  It's not that serious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, but that's a favor. When that's the gift for being a bridesmaid - where you should shop as though it's their birthday - it's not cool.
  • I get that but I don't see anymore detail in the post regarding the context of the gift and if it was personalized.  They sell personalized ones to use as a cup/mug.  All I'm saying is it's possible that there was a little more to it.  Maybe I'm just not so quick to judge.  I know you are supposed to get gifts for the wedding party like you are shopping for their birthday (which I am doing) but not everyone does. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2013
    I just know that if I buy a dress to be in a wedding, show up on time, smile for the photos, and do absolutely everything asked/expected of me ... and the bride gives me a mason jar as a gift ... it's not gonna matter whether it's personalized or not. If there's something in it, like booze, candy, beer bread mix, brownie mix, something that shows she thought about me, then it'll be okay. Otherwise, I'm going to smile, say thank you, and toss it in the trash on my way out the door.
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Mobile: Mason Jars? Can someone explain this to me?!

Ok, I got married in 2009. Its not THAT far removed from today, right? Can someone explain to me how a dang Mason Jar is a gift? I saw this in another thread and if someone gave that to me as a gift for being in their bridal party then I would be so confused. A little compact mirror? Sure. Jewelry? Ok. Even a little personalized pen set for my purse, but a JAR? Please, can someone enlighten me? I don't understand! 
    The mason jar thing has gone completely off the rails.  It's cute as a cheap alternative to buying a bunch of vases/tabletop candle holders, but that's about it in my book.  As a drinking glass?  No.  As a gift?  No.  As a hanging candle holder?  God no.

ETA:  As a drinking glass **at a wedding** - no.  As a drinking glass at home, who cares, if it works for you, go for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards