Knottie Tech Help

Banned Users - Open Discussion

So let's talk about this: "As a company we have banned some regular users who we received numerous complaints about. While we want members to share opinions, constant negativity and bullying will not be tolerated."

Let's discuss this calmly and in an adult fashion. Can we have an explanation on how the warning and banning process really works? Can we talk about what the point of abuse flags are? Can we discuss how "private" complaints about users will be handled in the future? If I complain to you about a user a number of times, how will you go about determining whether or not that qualifies for a ban?

Again, I'm looking for a calm, reasoned discussion here.

Re: Banned Users - Open Discussion

• Why weren't they given warnings?
  • Thank you PDKH.  I am hoping we see some feedback to answer the questions you have asked and to clarify what policies and procedures will and will not be used in the future.
  • edited August 2013
  • LMc0322 said:

As someone pointed out, this decision that they were too negative and contributed nothing positive to the boards came after quoting one of them TWICE in the TK magazine?  Oh, ok. That makes sense.

Right, which is why I'd like to know how "as a company", The Knot makes decisions on which users are ban-worthy and which are not. At this point, it seems very arbitrary.
  • @KnotPorscha and @KnotJackie are never going to explain their decision or have an open discussion with us.  That would require them to actually work and explain things.  All KJ explained in the other thread was that "a user can be banned at anytime.  See? It says in the TOS."
  • I haven't had very many qualms with The Knot until now. This is extremely disappointing. The things people do for money, I guess.
  • Like I said in the thread on SB, I don't think I've done anything ban-worthy but now I'm looking back over my previous posts. Does my occasionally excessive use of caps qualify as "forceful?" Hard to know. I've never been warned, but that doesn't seem to matter here.
  • I want to understand how posting on this website really works.  So if someone complains privately, a user can get banned without warning?  I'm confused because both people (and I only saw two people - maybe I'm wrong) did not have any abuse points.  In fact, they have a huge number of "love it's" on their accounts.  If they aren't safe from the banhammer, what makes someone like me safe?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.
    I'm curious about these things too.

I'm also curious as to how we are expected to post in the future?  What opinions and negative comments are we allowed to express w/o getting warned or banned?  What specific language is acceptable? What should our attitude in posts be, and how can anyone really even determine that based solely on text and without any sort of tone?  What is TK's "vision" for us? 

I'm sorry, but I feel like this site is turning into a police state, and I'm leery to post anything.  I too am not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Sorry, I should also add that unless contacted, normal "protocol" we discussed will stand moving forward.
  • I want to understand how posting on this website really works.  So if someone complains privately, a user can get banned without warning?  I'm confused because both people (and I only saw two people - maybe I'm wrong) did not have any abuse points.  In fact, they have a huge number of "love it's" on their accounts.  If they aren't safe from the banhammer, what makes someone like me safe?

I'm also curious as to how we are expected to post in the future?  What opinions and negative comments are we allowed to express w/o getting warned or banned?  What specific language is acceptable? What should our attitude in posts be, and how can anyone really even determine that based solely on text and without any sort of tone?  What is TK's "vision" for us? 

I'm sorry, but I feel like this site is turning into a police state, and I'm leery to post anything.  I too am not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.
    In the past, when there were questions like this, they just said that if it didn't break the TOS, then you were free to post what you wanted.  Now, I have no idea what can and can't be posted.

In the past, when there were questions like this, they just said that if it didn't break the TOS, then you were free to post what you wanted.  Now, I have no idea what can and can't be posted.
    Exactly!  I try very hard to not violate the TOS, but am I not allowed to be a little snarky now and again?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks for calming it down and bringing this to a conversation. Some things I want to address and then we'll be focusing back on bigger picture items:

1 -- All users who were banned today received a PM with reasoning 30 minutes before the ban took place.

2- The users were well aware of their reputation and complaints we were receiving. It is no secret to anyone on here that these members were notorious for loud and attention grabbing behavior on the boards.
    While we did work closely with them, their overall presence on the boards was negative and degrading to most and kept other members from taking part in conversations (no, not just the sensitive ones - more "regs" than you would think). We cannot discuss details, but we received well over 40 complaints, the most of any active users. The overall team, not just me and KP, decided this was best for the community.

3- The magazine team that chooses quotes from community is in no way connected to us. However, due to recent circumstances, all future quotes in the magazine will be run past me and KP before publishing.

We appreciate all the feedback - and we are seeing it all. However, this decision with today's users will stand as it has been an ongoing discussion and issue for months.
    So you banned them because you believe that they were preventing users from participating in the discussion. 

But you blame their banning on the fact that they drew attention to themselves.

Logically, that means I should post less and avoid drawing attention to myself so I can avoid being banned.
  • @KnotJackie - I have to be honest. All your points make it evident that TK clearly considered these two users a PITA and thought it would be easier if you wanted them gone.

And who is the rest of the overall team that makes this decision? How were they warned? Did you go around the flagging system? What is protocol for banning after getting complaints? If I told you that Miss Hart has been harassing me online and offline for months, what would you do?

Look, I'm not trying to stir up shit. I'm just saying that you should admit if your decisions are arbitrary. And if your decision wasn't, please explain yourself.  

• @knotjackie @knotirene @knotporsha

What is KnotCarly's tk email address?
  • Also, Stage would repeatedly ask if her posting something that was not what an OP wanted to hear would get her banned and TGs always said No.  So now you just changed your minds without any warning?  Does this mean we have to now agree with posters who have terrible etiquette plans?
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I cannot believe how much this post has sucked me in.  But I have to add.....that "ban hammer" SN you are using in place of Stage and Linger's own SN???  Beyond lame.  Is that supposed to be some cyber Scarlet Letter to warn/threaten other users??

• @KnotJackie and KnotPorscha - I'm really confused. If you didn't approve of Linger and Stages pithy remarks, why did you encourage the to get some action on the Snarky Brides board? Here is the heading your created for them: 

Brides Beware: These Knotties have opinions and aren't afraid to share them. Get ready for some real, honest feedback! (Leave your sensitivity at the door)

You also reviewed and removed all their flags, within the last week. They were working with you to keep within the new TOS. While I appreciate that you received many complaints through PMs about them, I wonder why you continued to reassure them that they wouldn't be banned?

I guess I'm one of the few regs who enjoyed Retread's company. But I can understand you banning her, because she deliberately continued to post remarks after being warned. I don't understand how you can consider a 30 minute warning to be sufficient. Were you 'reaching out' to Stage and Linger when  you received the PMs? 
    This is another thing I forgot, but makes the TK Gods actions completely confusing. It really feels like @knotjackie and @Knotporscha are telling us one thing, and doing the complete opposite behind our backs.
  • @KnotJackie, @KnotPorscha

Seriously. Is there a reason you can't answer the individual questions I and others in this thread have posted?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards