Wedding Etiquette Forum

What qualifies as a destination wedding?

I've seen so many posts popping up with people claiming they're having a destination wedding only later to find out the wedding is really only a 3 hour drive for almost all their guest. IMO that's just a wedding, not a destination wedding. When I hear the words destination wedding I think of weddings in other countries (Caribbean islands, Italy, Brazil...) or even Hawaii if everyone else lives in the states. Or the states if they live in Europe, etc. I also think of them as a wedding and honeymoon in one. I just don't get it when people live in, say, Florida, but get married in New York because that's where the bride and groom grew up (and maybe their parents/family still live there) and call it a destination wedding. But maybe I'm wrong.

Technically, what is a destination wedding considered? Just curious really.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

Re: What qualifies as a destination wedding?

• I think its a DW if everyone, bride and groom included have to travel 3+ hours. If it is a hometown or current location, it's not a DW. I'm not sure what is it 'technically.' 
  • I don't think there's an official definition for it (which is probably why it's used loosely and differently by so many people). 

I always think of a DW as one where the vast majority of people (including the B&G) have to travel to get there. Distance wise, I usually think of needing to fly or take a long (talking several hour) road trip to get there.
    *********************************************************************************

• "Destination" is the key word here I think. I consider a wedding a "destination wedding" when it's taking place somewhere that's considered a vacation spot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I remember reading somewhere that it's considered a destination wedding once it exceeds a certain amount of miles from the homes of majority of the guests. I forget what the exact number of miles was though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That definition doesn't make any sense to me. So because BF and I live some distance from his family, if we were to get married in the town we're living in, that would be a destination wedding?
  • That definition doesn't make any sense to me. So because BF and I live some distance from his family, if we were to get married in the town we're living in, that would be a destination wedding?

This is why I don't like this rule.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think it's where you're getting married in a place that is more like a vacation destination. Hawaii, Mexico, the Carribean, Europe, etc.
  • Well, if you ask my FI's crazy aunt, he and I are having a DW because we're getting married in my hometown, which is 111 miles from HIS hometown, and where he and I live right now.

We are getting married in a small town in Central PA that you only go to if you REALLY like baseball. 

IMO, it's a DW if EVERYONE has to travel, including the B/G, because it's not where they live, not where their families live, not where they're originally from, etc. and/or if it's a fun location that people actually want to go to -- such as the Outer Banks. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • im having my commitment cermony 8 hours away. ive been calling it a long distance wedding.
  • Yep, I think if everyone has to travel to get there, it's a destination wedding.
  • I would say if it's not where the bride or groom lives, nor where their family lives or where they grew up, then it's a destination. Not *everyone* has to travel, but if it's not the hometown of any of the families involved, then it's probably a destination wedding.
    Anniversary
  • If it's close to where the Bride and Groom currently live or where they grew up/their family lives, it's not a destination wedding, it's a wedding with a lot of OOT guests.

I think it can be called a destination wedding if it's either a) a vacation spot that isn't close or b) the majority of people, including the bride and groom, are traveling many hours to get there (many as in 4-5+).
  • ashleyep said:
    I would say if it's not where the bride or groom lives, nor where their family lives or where they grew up, then it's a destination. Not *everyone* has to travel, but if it's not the hometown of any of the families involved, then it's probably a destination wedding.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.
  • *********************************************************************************

• oh how i wish we could see who flagged us.

• Really someone flagged every single person on what is probably the least offensive etiquette discussion I've ever seen?
  • Well, if you ask my FI's crazy aunt, he and I are having a DW because we're getting married in my hometown, which is 111 miles from HIS hometown, and where he and I live right now.

We are getting married in a small town in Central PA that you only go to if you REALLY like baseball. 

IMO, it's a DW if EVERYONE has to travel, including the B/G, because it's not where they live, not where their families live, not where they're originally from, etc. and/or if it's a fun location that people actually want to go to -- such as the Outer Banks. 

I like this definition. Its what I was thinking but apparently couldn't get the words from my brain to my keyboard lol

And wth is up with the flags???

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• I was flagged for spam on this one.

@knotporscha @knotjackie

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

• I've been calling my wedding "semi-destination."  Where I am getting married is 5-6 hours away from where my fiance and I live.  Almost all of my fiance's family and friends are in the local area where we live so they will all have significant travel.  However I'm originally from is 3-4 hours from our wedding location), my parent's "vacation/beach" (technically their only) home is in the town we're getting married and most of my family lives less than an hour and a half away.  I usually think a destination wedding is one where you have to fly somewhere (usually a vacation spot) where the bride and groom don't have ties to other than it being a fun place for a wedding or favorite vacation spot.  I agree there isn't one definition of DW.  I'm sure a lot of people invited to my wedding will call it a destination wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    I think it's a destination wedding if the bride, groom, immediate families, and majority of the guests have to travel to the location where the ceremony and reception are taking place and stay at least overnight.  The location doesn't have to be a "vacation" destination.
  • Now I see the flag option has disappeared. I wonder what the deal is with all of the flags.

And to the OP- I would think a destination wedding is where the wedding takes place in a typical vacation spot.

Well, what's a "typical vacation spot" ?  For everyone there's a different answer.  Not everyone goes to, say, the Caribbean on a vacation; some people live right around the corner from a "typical vacation spot."

I think that a destination wedding would be one that requires all the principals and the vast majority of the guests to make overnight travel arrangements because none of them live in the area where the wedding is taking place-regardless of whether or not it's a "typical vacation spot."

• I think that a destination wedding would be one that requires all the principals and the vast majority of the guests to make overnight travel arrangements because none of them live in the area where the wedding is taking place-regardless of whether or not it's a "typical vacation spot."
    I don't think there will be a consensus here. I don't agree with this personally, we all have our own definitions. There really is no right or wrong answer, though I think we are all in agreement on certain aspects of what makes a wedding a "destination wedding."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards