Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Too much Wedding Cake?

My Fiance lovessss Cake and that was the first thing we talked about literally (lol) planning our wedding. I just need advice, Is 7 tiers too much cake? 7 is his lucky number, and so it's 7 everything with him.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Visit NewYork.Weddings.com

Best Answer

Answers

• It depends on how many guests you have, how big the tiers are, etc. There's a lot of factors that affect the outcome. If you'd like seven tiers but don't want to go cake overboard, consider doing smaller tiers.

Anniversary
  • My Fiance lovessss Cake and that was the first thing we talked about literally (lol) planning our wedding. I just need advice, Is 7 tiers too much cake? 7 is his lucky number, and so it's 7 everything with him.
    I am going to wager a guess and say yes, 7 tiers is too much.  How many guests are you having?
  • The big number seven idea is neat. I don't see the problem of having 7 tiers if that's what he wants. Just do small tiers or go with what JaneAustensGhost said. 
  • MrsHarper23MrsHarper23 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

chibiyui said:
    It depends on how many guests you have, how big the tiers are, etc. There's a lot of factors that affect the outcome. If you'd like seven tiers but don't want to go cake overboard, consider doing smaller tiers.
    Thanks! I do have to think about that.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

JoanE2012 said:
    My Fiance lovessss Cake and that was the first thing we talked about literally (lol) planning our wedding. I just need advice, Is 7 tiers too much cake? 7 is his lucky number, and so it's 7 everything with him.
    I am going to wager a guess and say yes, 7 tiers is too much.  How many guests are you having?
    The guest list isn't done yet
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

I'm having 14 guests and a cake that feeds 250.  I love cake too.   Have the cake you want.

After I cut the cake, I'm sending it back to be cut into pieces for everyone to take home (in cute cake boxes and shopping bags so they can take more than one.)  We're also taking some along on our honeymoon.  My mother in law is going to freeze some, and give some to her neighbors.    And of course, we'll eat lots of it.  

If you do all that and still have leftovers, you can throw them out.

So while it is a lot of cake, this truly is one of the very few times where you can say "It's your day, do what you want."  (The other time is when deciding which dress to wear.) 
    I love that idea! Knowing him he would want to take the cake home, what's left of it anyway lol

• The big number seven idea is neat. I don't see the problem of having 7 tiers if that's what he wants. Just do small tiers or go with what JaneAustensGhost said. 
    I thought of that too. Having two cakes, bride and groom.
    Thanks! Yes I will definitely think about it.
  • scribe95 said:
    P.S. Are you going to have 7 kids?
    That's another thing on his list...
  • I am having 25 guests, but I'm having a 4 tier cake. I found a baker who will do some of the tiers as dummy tiers (styrofoam cake circles). They decorate them just like the rest of your cake and most people wouldn't be able to tell. You get the look you want without having all that extra cake. Just as a side note, sometimes cake articles will tell you this can be cheaper, but it usually isn't. Most of the charge for cakes comes from the decorating.
  • I am having 25 guests, but I'm having a 4 tier cake. I found a baker who will do some of the tiers as dummy tiers (styrofoam cake circles). They decorate them just like the rest of your cake and most people wouldn't be able to tell. You get the look you want without having all that extra cake. Just as a side note, sometimes cake articles will tell you this can be cheaper, but it usually isn't. Most of the charge for cakes comes from the decorating.
    Yeah, it's usually not cheaper.  In that case, I'd just go for the real thing and give out the leftovers to guests, neighbors, etc.  :D
  • I think it would be a great idea to do 7 smaller tiers or possibly even 7 small cakes, which would end up with less cake than a 7 tiered cake, since the bottom few tiers might have to be huge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards