October 2014 Weddings

Quick intro

Hello everyone! I am super happy to be joining you all! My fiance (I love saying that) proposed to me this past Sunday in downtown Annapolis, MD. The proposal was perfect! However, now that we have told everyone and the word is out it is time to start planning our wedding. I am SO overwhelmed! I don't even know where to begin. Reading some of your posts I feel behind already. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Quick intro

• Congrats on your engagement and welcome to our board!

Snoop around on the knot Community/Wedding boards, and you will find tons of useful info. on everything you need to know as far as planning your wedding.

You've got a lot of time before your wedding, so relax and enjoy it with your new fiance. Deep breaths help too :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• YAY!  Congrats and welcome!  My advice to any new bride-to-be is to sit down and decide what kind of wedding you want and what "speaks" to who you and your fiance are as a couple.  Do you want something casual and small or elaborate and huge?  This decision will snowball and help you make other decisions relatively easily, such as time of year and venue options.  My favorite thing to do is stalk Pinterest for ideas--that's how I found out I LOVE rustic/shabby chic weddings so much.  I probably wouldn't have gone for this theme, the venue I chose, or the time of year without Pinterest!  

Once you have an idea of the type of wedding you want, find a veteran bride or find some to-do lists online and make a monthly to-do list for yourself.  I know it sounds crazy, and may seem to make everything MORE overwhelming because you see everything you have to do on paper, but it works!  Once I wrote everything I needed to do, I felt SO much better.  I didn't leave anything out either.  I wrote "research bakeries and find inspiration photos" for April, "go on cake tasting and share ideas with baker" for May, and "sign contract with bakery" in June.  I also wrote down when additional deposits or payments need to be made.  For example, I need to make 3 payments to my photographer, so I wrote it on my to do list.  It makes it easy to break things down into months. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Once you have your budget and vision, I would hightly recommend booking your venue and then follow with your caterer and photog and other vendors you are really "set on" feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
    Anniversary
  • Glad to see another Maryland bride! Congratulations! My fiance proposed back in September and we are now in planning stages for an October 2014 wedding. Id say first thing first is to figure out a date and get a venue! Things are definitely filling up for next year so if you are planning a 2014 wedding, you need to get to it! After the venue and date is booked, you can relax a little bit! Our venue will be in Frederick, Maryland!
  • Congrats on your engagement! I would recommend talking with your fiance and figuring out what type of wedding you want. Do you want a big wedding, a small wedding, etc. then I would figure out a budget that's realistic for you guys to do.  I would also see if anyone else is helping to pay for the wedding, or if you're paying for it yourself.  I would go to pinterest and get ideas and inspiration.  It's super easy to go WAY over your budget, so remember to keep that in mind with planning.  Then you can pick a date, or if you fall in love with a venue and your date is flexible you could go about it that way too.  But the next steps I would take then would be to get a venue, everything else I feel like stems from the venue--it really does set the tone, IMO.  Then you should probably get big things out of the way, since most places are booking well into 2014 already, like the DJ, Photographer and Venue.  I spoke to one DJ and he's already booking for 2015!!

Good luck, remember to breathe, relax, and have fun.  You have plenty of time to plan--no need to stress about it :-) And remember we're here too!!

Congrats again
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm also recently engaged (July 28). I'm starting the planning, which is overwhelming, before going back to teaching this fall. We live in St. Peters, MO, which is a suburb of St. Louis. This is my fiance's second wedding so he's giving me free reign, but it's difficult to not have his opinion...Hopefully I make it through this experience and sit back and enjoy it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards