Connecticut

student photographers

Does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable photographer?  Our budget is extremely tight, so we're thinking of investigating student photographers (yes, I know you get what you pay for, but we're paying for this wedding ourselves and can't afford to spend in the thousands).  We ideally want someone who could shoot some formals, the ceremony, and maybe some shots at the reception if our budget would allow.  We'd appreciate any suggestions you all have!

Re: student photographers

• We hired Lindsay Vigue out of Bristol, I've known her since high school. We just had our engagement photos at Gouveia Vineyard. She's great to work with, very laid back but attentive. http://www.lindsayviguephotography.com/
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
  • I don't have any names for you but I'm not against the idea in theory.  Just take a look at their work and make sure you feel confident in their talent.

One thing I learned at my own wedding is that if you don't have a DOC, the photographers and the DJ often end up guiding your reception (telling you when to cut the cake, or asking when you plan on doing parent dances).  Even if you go with a student photographer, I'd maybe want to go with someone who has shot at least 1 wedding before.
  • demkoj1demkoj1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2013
    Michael Dzienis... He's just starting his own business, worked for a photography studio for years that is now closing. We used him. Our photos came out amazing and his prices couldn't be beat! If you want I can send you a couple of our photos so you can see more of his work. Let me know :)

• I think with enough searching, you can probably find a great student photographer! I would start with local colleges and universities near you. I am not sure where you are located, but you could contact a photography professor at Paier College of Art in Hamden. They have a large photography program and may be able to reach out to their best students looking to build a wedding portfolio. http://www.paiercollegeofart.edu/pages/faculty/list.html

I would also suggest contacting professional photographers and asking for a 4 hour package. You can save a good amount of money that way, and still have professional coverage. I recommend Eric Brushett and I know he does custom packages,but contact any professional photographer you like, and see what they say. The worst that can happen is they say now. Also, if you are getting married on a Friday or Sunday, or even an off-season date, ask vendors if they give a discount. You would be surprised what people will offer if you just ask!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards