Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Sleeping on a plane

Anyone have any helpful hints for sleeping on an airplane?  When we go to Hawaii, our return flights are always overnight and I NEVER get any sleep.  It really sucks, but those are usually direct flights less than 6 hours, so I can deal.  

However, next week, we are going to Italy and the trans Atlantic portion of our flight is overnight, in addition to the two other connections we have to make to get there and I can't imagine not being able to sleep on that flight.  Aside from getting drunk, does anyone know any good ways to get some sleep?  Any good OTC sleep medicine that will help knock me out even if I'm uncomfortable?

Re: Sleeping on a plane

• Options
    I'm probably not going to be much help,as I typically fly business class on international flights and I pop an ambien to sleep. However, I always bring ear plugs, an eye mask, and make sure I have socks (if I'm wearing flip flops or sandals.) I also wear comy pants if I can. Avoid caffeine as well.

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

I'm a business traveler and we are flown in coach.

I always bring a firm full-size pillow (this doesn't count as your carry-on). I wear a hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up and sunglasses (sleep masks aren't my thing). Always have my i-pod on shuffle and just zone out.

Sometimes I'll fall asleep on my pillow on the tray table, other times, I just "hug" the pillow holding vertically and lean foward.

I never take any pills because I want to be fully alert in case of an emergency.

ETA: Reclining back on a plane and trying to sleep has never worked for me. But after I started leaning forward, that was the magic solution!

• Options
    Wear comfy clothes and bring an eye mask. I don't do well with ear plugs, so soothing music on my ipod works better for me. I like nightquil's new "z-quil" or whatever they call it. 2 of those and I'm knocked out! Also, bring one of those neck pillow things.

I'll have to remember to put that on my list of things to take to Hawaii. Our flight is much longer tahn 6 hours :(
  • Options
    I have a really hard time with this too. I always get a window seat, and stuff my hoodie in the nook there and lean an sleep. I actually take ambien too. Just a half though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    itzMS said:

I always bring a firm full-size pillow (this doesn't count as your carry-on). I wear a hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up and sunglasses (sleep masks aren't my thing). Always have my i-pod on shuffle and just zone out.

Sometimes I'll fall asleep on my pillow on the tray table, other times, I just "hug" the pillow holding vertically and lean foward.

I never take any pills because I want to be fully alert in case of an emergency.

ETA: Reclining back on a plane and trying to sleep has never worked for me. But after I started leaning forward, that was the magic solution!

I sleep easier leaning forward too, but the bitch flight attendants always wake me up saying that I can't lean on the tray table.  I get it, but it still sucks because that's usually the most comfortable position...and it never fails that they wake me up the second I finally fall asleep too.  

I think one the longer leg of our journey, H and I didn't even get seats together because the flight was full...so I can't even lean on him.  
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Pepper6 said:
    itzMS said:

I sleep easier leaning forward too, but the bitch flight attendants always wake me up saying that I can't lean on the tray table.  I get it, but it still sucks because that's usually the most comfortable position...and it never fails that they wake me up the second I finally fall asleep too.  

I think one the longer leg of our journey, H and I didn't even get seats together because the flight was full...so I can't even lean on him.  

Huh. In over three years of 6+ flights a month...I've never been confronted by a flight attendant for sleeping forwards.

Were you on an aisle and perhaps the person on the window had to get up? I always make sure to tell my "row mates" that I'm going to be sleeping and I've never been bothered.

• Options
    itzMS said:
    Pepper6 said:
    itzMS said:

Huh. In over three years of 6+ flights a month...I've never been confronted by a flight attendant for sleeping forwards.

Were you on an aisle and perhaps the person on the window had to get up? I always make sure to tell my "row mates" that I'm going to be sleeping and I've never been bothered.

Nope, always woken up by the flight attendant for no other reason other than to tell me I'm not allowed to lean on the tray table.  I'd say it's the airline, but we've taken a few different ones and it's always the same.  Hopefully they'll be more lenient on our flights this time...
  • Options

I read on flights.  Reading = me out for the count.

I definitely second everything suggested.  Wear comfy clothes and definitely make sure you have some socks.  As for some OTC meds to help you fall asleep I find that benadryl does the trick, so does Nyquil.  My Mom also swears by Advil PM.

I never recline my seat because I hate when people in front of me recline theirs.  There is already no leg room as it is and the amount the chair reclines just isn't worth it.  I always try and get a window seat so I can lean up against the window but if that isn't possible get a travel pillow (I have actually used the large breastfeeding pillow as a travel pillow before because it is just more comfortable and provides more area for your head to rest on).  I have also leaned forward and rested my head on the tray which works well too.

Just don't forget to get up and walk around every once in a while when you are on long flights.  You definitely don't want to get blood clots and it always feels better to stretch out every now and then.

• Options
    FMIL12FMIL12 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Just a side note, the pharmacist told me (and I checked) Z-Quil or whatever it's called is the same thing as Benedryl but Benadryl in the store brand is a whole lot cheaper :)
  • Options
    One word: Ambien.

I know that it isn't OTC, but my travel doctor has prescribed it to me for long trips.  
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Benadryl is what I use... Plus my sinuses become a trainwreck when flying anyway so it works for that as well. Also, comfy clothing and ear plugs/ear buds to listen to music instead.
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

If you can afford it, fly first class or at least upgrade to economy plus. 

I pack soft fuzzy sleep socks & a pashmina to use as a blanket.  I have one of those round neck pillows & an eye mask. 

Try to be tired -- don't nap before you fly.  Eat something on the heavy side & avoid caffiene.

Some people swear by melatonin.  If you do take something DON'T drink on top of it. 

• Options
    I took 2 melatonin on my flight from LA to Brisbane. I wasn't asleep, but I was relaxed and dozing. I got to Brisbane and felt well rested, or as well rested as you can after a 13 hour flight. I also had a travel pillow and I requested a bulkhead seat so I could stretch out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dalm0m said:

I pack soft fuzzy sleep socks & a pashmina to use as a blanket.  I have one of those round neck pillows & an eye mask. 

Try to be tired -- don't nap before you fly.  Eat something on the heavy side & avoid caffiene.

Some people swear by melatonin.  If you do take something DON'T drink on top of it. 

After we got back from our honeymoon that is what we said. Until we realized even business class would double our flight prices. Unless there is some magic in cheap business/fancy class ticket prices. I was so envious.

I had the same issue as the OP though. I couldn't sleep. As soon as I did someone woke me up. Terrrible. I am glad to see this post though because now there is tons of good advice.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    dazyabbey said:
    dalm0m said:

After we got back from our honeymoon that is what we said. Until we realized even business class would double our flight prices. Unless there is some magic in cheap business/fancy class ticket prices. I was so envious.

I had the same issue as the OP though. I couldn't sleep. As soon as I did someone woke me up. Terrrible. I am glad to see this post though because now there is tons of good advice.

My "magic" is airline miles. I fly a lot for work (and for play. LOL), so what I do is I book my DH's ticket with my miles and then pay for mine outright. So, we get two business class seats for the price of one and I'm earning miles for the next trip. It takes some work to make sure the flights are available with miles and I can find a miles ticket to where we want to go, but it's worked out pretty well so far.

• Options
    We fly maybe once or twice a year for vacations so I doubt we can get enough for that. We do have a southwest card that we signed up for to get 50k points but it still seems to be collecting points way too slow.

• Options
    As others have suggested, use a sleep mask, bring socks and wear comfy clothes (not tight jeans!). I find it's the worst when I've been seated in the middle because there's nowhere for me to lean. At a window seat you can lean on the window, and on the aisle at least you can curl up and not be cozying up to some stranger.
  • Options

I normally use miles to upgrade to business class when i go to Europe...but i recently zonked out on the overnight from Hawaii no problem.  And I'm going to South Africa for my honeymoon next year in coach because i'm fresh out of miles (boo).  Here's my normal plan:

Wake up early the day you are leaving.  You need to be tired at like 6pm.  I'm a runner, so I will wake up at 5am and go for a 8+ mile run.  Do something that really wears you out. 

Bring a pillow.  It can be a travel pillow, but not those around the neck or inflatable ones...they're not super useful.  Bring an actual pillow that is stuffed.  Possibly a blanket if you tend to be chilly.  My normal outfit is a tunic/t-shirt dress/sweaterdress over a pair of leggings, a cardigan, and a scarf.  wear socks for the plane, because you won't want to keep your shoes on.  If light or sound bother you, bring a sleep mask or earplugs/headphones.

If you are flying an international airline (Al'Italia, Lufthansa, etc) you win - they will give you booze in coach.  Most of the US-based airlines don't do this (though I have read that they're changing this practice).  Normally, I wait until we reach cruising altitude, and then wash down ONE OTC Unisom or Benadryl with a glass of wine, and 30 minutes later, I'm out cold.  NEVER take more than one, especially with alcohol.  Really you're not supposed to take any medication with alcohol, but i like to live on the edge. ;-)

Make sure you drink lots of water pre- and post-flight...this will help you be alert when you wake up and active the next day.  Flights cause dehydration, and when you land at what is probably 8am Italy time, you want to be able to stay awake.  Try your best to not go to sleep that first night until at least 8pm.  That will help immensely with jetlag.  I usually bring a few extra Benadryl or Unisom just in case I have trouble sleeping through the first night or two.

On the flight back to the US, try as hard as you can to NOT sleep - you will likely land at home in the late afternoon/evening, so if you can stay awake until at least 8pm, you should feel like you're back in the correct time zone the next day.

Have so much fun!  Italy is one of my favorite places I've been, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time! 

• Options
    Ativan and wine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tylenol or advil PM always did the trick for me.  I always try to be super tired when I get on the plane too so I want to sleep and am not forcing myself to sleep (depending on what time the flight is I know this does not always work!).

Anniversary
  • Options
    We just got back from our vacation on Friday!  The ibuprofen PM worked pretty well for our flight there.  Our flight home, neither of us slept at all, which meant we were awake for almost exactly 24 hours straight.  It wasn't too bad though since it allowed us to crash when we got home at a 'normal' bedtime and get back on track to the time difference.  
  • Options
    @Pepper- glad to hear it worked out for you! Hope you had a great trip!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards