Snarky Brides

Burlap + Lace = Vomit

So this post is inspired by the recent rise in burlap and lace combined. I just received a wedding invite that was printed over an image of burlap and lace. Why?!?!?! I don't get it!! I think it's ridiculous to combine those two things. 

This is the only board where I feel like no one will get their panties in a bunch behind this post (but who knows now days). 

What are some other 'trends' that you don't like?

Re: Burlap + Lace = Vomit

• I agree.  I think the "shabby chic" look is way overdone.  Burlap and weddings don't mix - unless you are getting married in a barn.
  • I blame Pinterest for the burlap + lace trend.

I also don't get themed wedding. It's a wedding not a kids birthday party.
    Right!?! I love lace, but I don't want lace to vomit all over my wedding. And Burlap? WTF? That shouldn't even be a word, much less a wedding decoration. 
  • Ugh I may get flamed for this but I totally do not understand the "Gatsby" or "Vintage" weddings...I really really REALLY don't
    Anniversary
  • The burlap thing drives me nuts. We have a local 'sell your used wedding stuff board' on facebook and burlap shit pops up every day. I always end up thinking  'wow that would be cute if you hadn't used burlap'

I personally can't stand the camo wedding stuff. Really you want to get married in a camo wedding dress? Have a groom's cake that looks like a dead deer? For real? I thought weddings were suppose to be classy.
    Anniversary
  • I have to say, I blame all the choreographed danced and dress changes on shows like Four Weddings - it's like brides in real life now feel like they have to compete with each other to put on the best show. Except it's not a show, it's your wedding. This all being said, I have definitely watched my fair share of Four Weddings episodes :-)

Also, I would like to share, I have a friend for whom I'm a BM who wants us to do a flash mob at her reception. I'll go along with it because that's what she wants (and I happen to like to dance) but man will I feel awkward in the process. At least it's not the Harlem Shake...
  • I think the burlap/lace thing is because of all the country shows on TV right now. like Hunny boo-boo or Duck Dynasty. "Country" is the next fad. They want to do a classy country wedding, personally I see nothing classy about burlap.

And I agree about the choreographed dances... real awkward!  Changing the dress doesn't bother me per say, but I think it is a silly thing to waste your money on. One dress cost enough as it is, why not try to get the most out of what you paid?
  • Ugh I may get flamed for this but I totally do not understand the "Gatsby" or "Vintage" weddings...I really really REALLY don't
    Especially when everything involved is brand-spanking-new and just looks "vintage" lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another personal annoyance of mine: The WP forming a tunnel for B&G to run through for their big reception entrance. 

Ditto brides wearing carbon copies of Kate Middleton's wedding dress. Don't get me wrong, I think it was gorgeous, but it's weird that people are obsessed with copying her style, right down to their wedding day. 
  • One more then I promise to be "good" (not nice but "good')...if you really to see some stuff that will make you glad you didn't lose an afternoon of your life at that wedding....look on the "WEDDING CLASSIFIED" board at the stuff some brides are lovingly selling...

• So this post is inspired by the recent rise in burlap and lace combined. I just received a wedding invite that was printed over an image of burlap and lace. Why?!?!?! I don't get it!! I think it's ridiculous to combine those two things. 

This is the only board where I feel like no one will get their panties in a bunch behind this post (but who knows now days). 

What are some other 'trends' that you don't like?
    I have 2 weddings in August, 3 weeks apart. Both have burlap/lace/mason jar theme. It will be interesting to see how similar or different it can me done...

Anniversary
  • I'd much rather see a theme wedding than yet another freebie (or near-freebie) ceremony singer. You know, the one who comes with the venue, or the second-cousin, or that lady that someone knows who sang the Star Spangled Banner at a baseball game twelve years ago and didn't suck TOO bad.

If you're going to have music at the wedding, hire a musician. For pity's sake, you're probably spending enough on food and photography to buy a car. There's enough in the budget for a quality singer. Save the friend of the family or so-and-so's cousin for another occasion.

• I like the idea of burlap holding the flower bouquets together.  Other than that, not a fan.  Not saying that I'm doing this, but I think it could look neat.

I also think candy bars are a fun idea to tie in wedding favors.  I'm having a candy bar... the favors will include mini pails decorated in satin ribbon (matching my wedding colors), filled with candy.

• @thisismynickname My mom said that about some of "trendy" dresses I 'had' to try on. She said it looked like a wrinkled up sheet. I'm glad she was honest, and got me thinking on the straight and narrow again. Haha!
  • Uggggg... burlap ... ewww..

I admit we are doing a Candy Buffet but this is as our favours... I didn't want to have some knick knack no one wanted so we are going to get bags printed with our names and the date on it and people can fill those with whatever candy they want and take those home / eat them there etc..

I also don't understand the "short" wedding dresses ... and I don't mean tea length I mean like ABOVE THE KNEE SHORT ... looks like it could be a clubbing dress type look .. if you aren't getting married in like Vegas by Elvis ... WHY?

• Here are the things NOT ALLOWED at my wedding:

1. mason jars
    2. burlap
    3. anything that rhymes!

I hate all of the pictures you see of people holding signs. Like the ring bearer holding a sign that says "Last chance to run!" Or the bridesmaids all holding signs with one word each: "Happily Ever After!"

Also, if I get one more tote bag with my initials on it, I'm going to freak out.
  • Here are the things NOT ALLOWED at my wedding:

1. mason jars
    2. burlap
    3. anything that rhymes!

I hate all of the pictures you see of people holding signs. Like the ring bearer holding a sign that says "Last chance to run!" Or the bridesmaids all holding signs with one word each: "Happily Ever After!"

Also, if I get one more tote bag with my initials on it, I'm going to freak out.
    Add to this list styrofoam/paper plates. MPO. 
  • I gently retract my comment regarding Candy Bars...

I am so old,.I didn't know that y'all used them as "wedding favors"..that's actually a good idea. 

When I was married the 1st time (20 years ago) we distributed candied almonds that would break your teeth. 

This time we are giving out homemade bottles of lemoncello and/or chocolate bars.

Happy Hump day!!!

• My dad loves those jordan almonds. I am thinking about adding a small bag of them to his gift for the wedding. They are def hard enough to break teeth. Lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards