Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

scheduling the tasting

I have a feeling our catering manager is on vacation, but do you think it is rude to avoid someone for over 1 month?

The place we would like our reception had good food. We went to college there and never had a problem, but we want to schedule a tasting of their formal menu, something we haven't tried at this venue.
We spoke with the manager about price listings and open dates. He said he would send us a formal wedding menu with prices in the mail, but it never made it to us. In his defense, we live far away so it's possible it could have been delivered to the wrong address or list in the mail....with that being said, we have been calling the catering manager every week asking him to call us back for the last 4 weeks.

At what point do we give up? My wedding is about a year away, but we live in a different part of the country and will be in that state next week, which is why we attempted to schedule the tasting.

Some background: my FI and I worked and lived there for 5 years and have known managers at catering company that time. Obviously we aren't family friends or anything, but we have been dreaming of this as our reception space. Also, the guy who is running weddings had been out with back troubles, so it's actually the general manager we have been in contact with.

Sorry it's long, but I honestly am not sure what we are supposed to do at this point without coming off as rude.

Re: scheduling the tasting

• Have you already booked this venue?  If so, then you really do not need to do a tasting until you get much closer to your wedding date.  If you haven't booked it and are waiting to decide based on their food then I would call up the venue (not the catering manager) and tell them that you were promised prices etc for the catering manager but you have not received any information for over a month.  Also let them know that you will be in town and would like to have a tasting to decide whether or not you want to book with them.

When people are out for whatever reason they should always have a back-up person to take questions and calls.  Don't be afraid to call the venue up and express your concern.

• Have you already booked this venue?  If so, then you really do not need to do a tasting until you get much closer to your wedding date.  If you haven't booked it and are waiting to decide based on their food then I would call up the venue (not the catering manager) and tell them that you were promised prices etc for the catering manager but you have not received any information for over a month.  Also let them know that you will be in town and would like to have a tasting to decide whether or not you want to book with them.

When people are out for whatever reason they should always have a back-up person to take questions and calls.  Don't be afraid to call the venue up and express your concern.
    Exactly this.
    *********************************************************************************

• We haven't booked because we want to be able to estimate price since we are on a budget. The price list we can find is from 2010, which is why we requested an updated list.

Also, it is difficult to travel over a thousand miles more than once a year, so it would be difficult to do a tasting closer to the wedding date.

I know that they should have a backup (who we have been trying to reach). I think I may ask that my parents, who live closer to the site, to taste for us if we cannot be there.

I will call the venue again, hopefully able to contact someone. It is a small college, so I'm certain they will refer me to the person I've been in contact with, but it is always worth the try.

Planning from a distance can drive a girl crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards