Nevada-Las Vegas

First dance songs .... do you have 'your' song?

Hey everyone, 

Much to my annoyance, me and my FI do not have a song that is 'our' song, its weird to me as I have always had one in previous relationships, and you'd think after 5 years we would have a song that reminds us of a special moment, or that reminds us of each other when we hear it, but we don't. This is not a massive problem and one of the least important things for our wedding, but it does mean we now have to make a deliberate search for a song that we can have our first dance to because we don't have a go-to song. I guess even if we did have one it might not be appropriate for the first dance anyway so we'd still have to do some research. I just somehow feel it would be romantic if we were having our first dance to a song that was extra meaningful ...

So anyway, we were just curious how common this is, are there many other couples out there who don't have a song? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
   UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!

Re: First dance songs .... do you have 'your' song?

• I've never had a song, color, restaurant, blah blah with anyone I've dated or my wife; never made much sense to me lol.  We did our first dance song to Frankie Valli's Can't Take My Eyes Off You.  We saw Jersey Boys on our first trip to Vegas so it worked well.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• ktbabe530ktbabe530 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2013
    We don't have a song either.  My FI suggested 'Faithfully' by Journey for our first dance.  This happened to be 'the song' I had with a previous boyfriend so I had to say no.  It took me weeks to fess up.  He knows I really like Journey, so I had to finally break down and tell him.  

We are still searching for the first dance song...

but just think, after you have that first dance you'll have a meaningful song :)
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • JiimanieJiimanie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Yes @ktbabe530 that is a very good point, forever more we will think of our wedding day when we hear our first dance song. So we must choose wisely!

I've remembered that when he proposed to me we had a Chet Baker album on in the background, and we had a little slow dance whilst the album was still on and in the moment I was thinking to myself 'remember what this song is' but I'd forgotten until now - so I need to go and re-listen to the album and see if I can recall which one it is as that could be the perfect song!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are in the same position as well- we have songs that remind of us of certain things, but none of them are really appropriate I guess for a first dance (The Beatles "Do You Want to Know a Secret" apparently seems weird to my dad, LOL) , so I suggested we make a list of 10 songs each that remind us of our relationship or how we feel, etc. and then play them to decide which we may want.
  • You are not alone Jemma. FI and I still havent picked a first dance song. I really dont want a typical slow one either. Im thinking of ratpack-type love or celebration song. We want to keep the tempo up.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Ratpack may be the way to go (although we are playing a lot of that on the DDB), my FI has suggested 'I got you under my skin' which I think would be pretty cool :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hahaha we are having the same problem! We have made every other decision in a day or two but we've been throwing ideas around for months and still have a top 8 list! 
  • Don't worry, we don't really have a song either!  We are going with "Together" by the Raconteurs.  We both really like the band, the song and the album so it seemed appropriate.  Our second choice would have been "Annie's Song" by John Denver but we are playing it as a tribute to our Best Man and MOH as they never got to have a first dance at their wedding.
  • No song here either. I am still working up the courage to begin what will probably be our first blood bath argument. He's a drummer who likes yes (I never heard of them) I listen to pink and like dub step. On a positive note I will probably get flowers afterwards. But as of now we have no song either
  • Lol we have quite q few songs that remind us both of our relationship over the past 5 years but none are wedding appropriate lol..they are mostly hip hop
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • I'm so glad to hear that not every couple has their "oh listen darling, they are playing our song"song :-)

I love Al Greens - Let's stay together for a wedding dance song.

Anniversary
  • We're doing 'Not Even a King' my Alicia Keys.   Do people really have songs anymore?  I like to think of the romance of the 50's when going dancing was a thing and then maybe you'd have a song.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • The only song that we would call "our song" is actually about a guy missing his ex wife, sooo probably not the most appropriate.

For literally the exact same reason as @vegasgroom, our song is also going to be "Can't Take..." lol

We're both not super mushy so we didn't spend too much time thinking about it. He suggested it after seeing Jersey Boys and I thought it would be cute. :)

• Aww thanks guys, so glad we're pretty much all in the same boat!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AllyIdoAllyIdo member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    So here's a follow up question... We do have a song, but we are just doing dinner afterwards. Private area at Mon Ami Gabi, I doubt I can control the music. How can we incorporate it? We won't have a first dance, unless you include the after hours dance party in the hotel suite :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    You might be able to have your own music in your private room. I could at canaletto, it's worth asking if you would like to. When I asked at first they said it would be $150 to hire their iPod docking station, I thought no way! but then I asked if it would work with an iPhone 5 she said no so there was no charge. I didn't want my own music that much! It would be a nice touch to play it in your suite too.
  • Jiimanie We're going Ratpack too! I think we'll do "The Best is Yet to Come" - FI likes the Sinatra version and I'm a bit partial to Buble's.  We'll see who wins :-P
  • @katelynswartz Heheh, as much as I love Buble he's just overly autotuned on recordings, go ratpack - it's the Vegas way!

@allyldo we're doing ours at our post-dinner hotel suite party :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a long planning talk last night and settled in on either:
    "At Last" Etta James
    "Your Song" Elton John 
    or 
    "All I Want is You" U2

We both really wanted something uniquely us, until we realized that we are both singing all the time, so how can we narrow it down to one song to sum up everything? 
    Plus we will have karaoke and may ask one of our musical friends to sing the song for us, which will make it special in its own right. Maybe the point isn't the find a song that has been meaningful to our past, but to choose a song that will be meaningful to our future ...
  • We like Sinatra (FI loves Sinatra) so we will use "The way you look tonight". It gets played more than most of his work and while I'm not sure we'd say it's "our song", we always make sure to dance when it is on at other events since it does get played so frequently at weddings. Plus, I don't think you can really go wrong with the rat pack in Vegas!
  • You're not alone. The hubby and I have a song, but it definitely wasn't wedding appropriate and really became our song as a joke because of the lyrics (Ladies Love Country Boys-Trace Adkins). We ended up dancing to "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz, which was perfect.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks again everyone, we've worked out that song that was playing just after FI proposed was "It's Always You" by Chet Baker so we're going to go with that, its wonderful and it takes me right back to that evening, and now it will take it back to our wedding night too, so I'm very pleased :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we are going to go with "this years love" by David Grey, we don't have a song, but this is a good song.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We don't have a song really but Jason Mraz's "She's not so usual" brought us together so we will have our first dance to that.  On a side note I'm going to walk to Kimbra's "Settle down", and the recessional song will be Jason Mraz's "I'm yours".  We're kinda geeky like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update: Last weekend we asked my former roommate--a sweet-toned alto--to sing "At Last". 

Not only is it a nice slow song that my FI can't mess up (he's NOT a dancer), but she & I lived together for a year while he & I dated and she thought we were going to get married YEARS ago.
  • @mnupp aww that's a great idea, one of my best mates does an amazing rendition of 'At Last' and it had crossed my mind to ask him to sing that (or Halo, as that song speaks a lot to mine and FI's relationship) but I didn't want to pressure him to do it as the first dance. I would love it if he would sing at some point during the wedding though, before we were even engaged he asked if he could sing at our wedding so I know he wants to!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we are going to go with 'More' by Bobby Darin. It ties in with our theme and its lyrics resonate with us.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• We finally decided on "More Today Than Yesterday" by Spiral Staircase because the first year we were dating, FI bought me a locket and inscribed it with a line from it and although it is somewhat faster paced, I think it suits us because we are fun and love to laugh and I am sure going to be laughing during that (because of how awful of a dancer I am- the FI told me he wants us to take lessons so I don't embarrass him!) LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards