Wedding Reception Forum

New Years Eve wedding...

Hi,
I'm getting married on NYE at 530pm to catch the sun setting. The reception is back at my parents house and only a small wedding 30 people approximately.

My problem is if the ceremony finishes around 6pm, I think 7pm reception should be fine? And then that is still 5 hours of drinking before NYE... 
How long is a good gauge for the reception? 
Between 6-7 they can go to a hotel/bar for a drink while we do photographs and set up the house? (Fairy lights, candles etc)

Also does anyone have good wedding game ideas? I think this will be a good icebreaker to bond the group as we'll not have a rehearsal dinner. My finance is not from my country so I thought a trivia game about his home country could be fun?

We'll have a photo booth for sure. NYE hats/sparklers etc... any other suggestions?

The colors will be mainly white with flowers being red/pink, soft yellow and blues to match my husbands flag.

Thank you for your help in advance :)))

Re: New Years Eve wedding...

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013

lizardbug said:
    Hi,
    I'm getting married on NYE at 530pm to catch the sun setting. The reception is back at my parents house and only a small wedding 30 people approximately.

My problem is if the ceremony finishes around 6pm, I think 7pm reception should be fine? And then that is still 5 hours of drinking before NYE... 
    Between 6-7 they can go to a hotel/bar for a drink while we do photographs and set up the house? (Fairy lights, candles etc)

Also does anyone have good wedding game ideas? I think this will be a good icebreaker to bond the group as we'll not have a rehearsal dinner. My finance is not from my country so I thought a trivia game about his home country could be fun?

We'll have a photo booth for sure. NYE hats/sparklers etc... any other suggestions?

The colors will be mainly white with flowers being red/pink, soft yellow and blues to match my husbands flag.

People should not have to purchase their own refreshments from a hotel bar while you do pictures. You need to provide and host some sort of cocktail hour for them. Also, nobody will be interested in playing trivia games or bonding. Adults can amuse themselves with food, drinks, and socializing just fine. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sorry Addie, 

I should have elaborated... the hour between ceremony/reception has not been planned as yet and would not expect them to pay.. that's for later planning. 

As for games, horses for courses I guess, but I know my guests would be interested.

Thanks though.

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

I think it would be very cool if you rent a few extra large screen TVs and place them in multiple areas of the house where people tend to gather. That way, everyone won't feel obligated to cram around one TV to watch the festivities.

I agree with Addie. Skip the forced games like trivia, pictionary, etc. I think it's fine to have some board games and decks of cards "set out" but I'd much rather drink and socialize than play games.

Some other questions...Why would  you rent a photo booth for only 30 people?

Also, how are 30 drunk people getting back to the hotel?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    lizardbug said:
    Hi,

I would push your ceremony back. Do a first look if you want sunset pictures. Get married at 6:30, cocktails from 7-8. then dinner from 8- 9:30ish and dancing until the new year.

IMHO, I would be really pissed if I went to a wedding on NYE and it ended before midnight. I would check with your venue and when they start breaking down for the night.

Also, I would have really high expectations for a wedding on NYE, it better be a fucking party!

ETA: skip the games.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it sounds odd to do 3 separate locations for the event: ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. Is there a way you can do the cocktail hour at either the ceremony location or the house/reception location? Perhaps you could hire a wedding planner who can get the house all ready so the guests can arrive directly after the ceremony for the cocktail hour, and then you can arrive after the pictures are done. 

Since it's a NYE wedding, I think you really have to make it a big party environment. I disagree with the TVs idea--although maybe that's because I've never sat home on NYE and watched other people celebrate it on TV. I think a photobooth is a great idea (even if you don't rent a real one, and just have some type of set up yourself with props, etc.). 

For NYE you need sparkle, fun, drinks, and some glamour. Is the house set up in a way you can have a dance floor? I like to dance when I'm all dressed up and have had a few drinks, especially if it's NYE! As for the games, "forced" games are likely to really take away from the flow of the evening. But, since you're only having 30 people, I think it's fine if you have some silly game available. However, you have to make sure it's the type of thing that people can play or not (and if they're not playing, their socializing shouldn't be interrupted at all), and that people can come and go and aren't "trapped" in the game for a set amount of time. 

And since it's NYE, the earliest you can end the reception is really 1am. You HAVE to be going strong through midnight. So I would do as someone else suggested and have the ceremony later. I'd start at 7pm. You can always do all your pictures earlier. 
  • @MandyMost, I suggested the extra TVs totally for ambience. Anyone I've known who has a house party on NYE has the TV's on with the NYE Spectaculars, etc. People don't sit around and watch them, per se, but it can make the party feel more festive since it's just at a house.
  • Someone needs to explain to me what "horses for courses" means. Is that like "different strokes for different folks" or am I drunk again?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Hi guys, great responses. I'll try to come back in bullet form:
    - wedding in my parents home so access to TVs yes but no to focal point - thanks for the suggestion.
    - Forced games like board games wasn't what i had in mind, saw an amazing pic of a girl in her wedding dress playing some ping pong game (not beer pong), cards etc also not what i was thinking
    - Not renting photo booth, creating my own backdrop/prop area (am an event planner so I know the mark up on most things)
    - as for 30 drunk people, hotel is very close but we're also looking at transport option which are available even though it's NYE
    - the 'games' are more to fill between ceremony and reception (agreed 2 venues is best) just to ease into the drinking and eating to space the timing out. 
    - photos need to be day/night so we're limited there and i wouldn't do photos before as tradition has it the groom should not see the bride before hand.. also can't go later as that is as late as the family friend/priest can do
    - for sure it will be a party, that is no doubt.. the main issue is slowing the pace and not getting straight into drinking
    - yep horses for courses is the same as different strokes ;)
    - and thanks to those that think it's a good idea, i'm traveling in from overseas so it's a good chance to bring a few things together at once :))

• This is the game i saw a pic of and mentioned above..
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013
    lizardbug said:
    Hi guys, great responses. I'll try to come back in bullet form:
    - wedding in my parents home so access to TVs yes but no to focal point - thanks for the suggestion.
    - Forced games like board games wasn't what i had in mind, saw an amazing pic of a girl in her wedding dress playing some ping pong game (not beer pong), cards etc also not what i was thinking
    - Not renting photo booth, creating my own backdrop/prop area (am an event planner so I know the mark up on most things)
    - as for 30 drunk people, hotel is very close but we're also looking at transport option which are available even though it's NYE
    - the 'games' are more to fill between ceremony and reception (agreed 2 venues is best) just to ease into the drinking and eating to space the timing out. 
    - photos need to be day/night so we're limited there and i wouldn't do photos before as tradition has it the groom should not see the bride before hand.. also can't go later as that is as late as the family friend/priest can do
    - for sure it will be a party, that is no doubt.. the main issue is slowing the pace and not getting straight into drinking
    - yep horses for courses is the same as different strokes ;)
    - and thanks to those that think it's a good idea, i'm traveling in from overseas so it's a good chance to bring a few things together at once :))

First bolded...Your parents' house has room for you to set up carnival games? Just try not to be upset if guests aren't as into them as you are, or turn them into beer pong or other drinking games.

Second bolded...So it appears you don't have plans to provide a shuttle (which would be ideal) So 30 guests is about 15-20 cars, I'm assuming? You'll need to check parking ordinances in your parents' neighborhood and let the neighbors know that extra cars will be parked on the street for an extended period of time (including some overnight, perhaps?). The police are out in full force on NYE, that's for sure. You don't want any of your guests being ticketedd or driving after drinking.

• Hi, actually yes I did mention that transport option is being looked into - meaning yes a shuttle not private cars :)
    and for space yes there is a fair bit of room, not necessarily 'carnival style' games though... botchi and the like... and honestly i wouldn't include games if i didn't think people would be into them (this is the beauty of only having close family and friends and knowing the crowd)...
  • The picture you posted is of a bride playing a carnival-style game, FWIW.

• yes she is, it's one option.
  • We're having games at our wedding (people won't be forced to play them) and everyone I've talked to thinks its awesome, so games are cool! Depending on your crowd, I think people will stick around till midnight. Our reception starts at 6 and goes to 11. Adding one more hour to that wouldn't be a big deal for our crowd, but then we're pretty into the party part of the wedding! :) If your guest list is older or mellower, it might dwindle as the night goes on. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
  • that's cool Emmy, our guests think so too!  They'll definitely stick around and if the oldies want to go, that's cool too... our reception will start at 7 so timings are the same.. same re the party, I've not seen the guests for 3 years plus so there will definitely be a party... so tell me, which games are you having???
  • I have an idea. Do your ceremony at 5:30pm as planned. Take your pictures afterwards as planned. While you're taking photos, have your guests go back to your parents' house for a cocktail hour (just set it all up before you leave and have someone - an aunt or something - get there 5 minutes before other people to light your candles and set out the already prepared food). When you're done taking pictures, go back to the house and start the reception around 7pm. No one has to drive, you don't have to arrange transportation, etc. 

*********************************************************************************

• Hey Southern Belle, that's pretty much the plan. I think the driving comments were directed at how to get them home/hotel at the end of the night.
    But I'm glad you think the same logistically and thanks for helping clarify getting the guests there while pics are being done and not a third location for cocktail hour, will take that off the agenda. Great feedback!
  • Is it warm where you're getting married? You can do lawn games, my friend had them and they were a blast, but her wedding was in her backyard under a tent.

Also, if you're worried aout transportation, what I'm anticipating is that guests will go to my curch, then go to the hotel to catch the shuttle to the reception and then take the shuttle back at the end of the night - then their cars will be already be at the hotel. 
    Anniversary
  • hi Ashely, yes that's perfect lawn games (just what I needed to figure out what to search for)... it will be warm and we have a grassy area.. thank you!
  • great idea, i went to a NY wedding once and it was so much fun... the games combine the two... have a look at interest, you'll find some good stuff there... here's a pic from there.

• Maybe I missed where you are located ... but in my mind it's cold on NYE, and it gets dark early. Are your games going to be inside?

I went to a wedding once with yard games kind of like that, but the reception started at 4 pm and it was in the middle of the summer.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    Not sure where you are located, but for us it gets dark by 5:30 or so in the winter. I would not want to be outside at night in winter in dressy clothes.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • What did you decide to do? We're having a NYE wedding, too!
  • honestly? If you are hosting a NYE wedding at your own house, you really can't "have a length" because chances are NYE wedding at someones host basically just becomes a new years eve party that last til the wee hours of the evening. IT is hard to kick people out right at midnight (which is a common time a normal evening wedding might end) because you then kinda ruined the people's new year's eve due to the timing

Are you sure that is what you would like?!?
  • KatWAG said:
    lizardbug said:
    Hi,

I would push your ceremony back. Do a first look if you want sunset pictures. Get married at 6:30, cocktails from 7-8. then dinner from 8- 9:30ish and dancing until the new year.

IMHO, I would be really pissed if I went to a wedding on NYE and it ended before midnight. I would check with your venue and when they start breaking down for the night.

Also, I would have really high expectations for a wedding on NYE, it better be a fucking party!

ETA: skip the games.

she mentioned the wedding reception is at her parents house.

Personally, if I am going to be invited to a wedding at NYE, it better not just be at someone's house. That seems like I am just actually being invited to a NYE party....

Sorry, but I am just speaking the truth.

• First, I hate how everyone criticizes others' wedding plans… seriously nay-sayers, STOP!

My friend had a NYE wedding at her house and it was AMAZING - the ceremony was beautiful and everyone had a blast at the reception! There were about 60 guests. Here was their schedule/some "special activities":

- Ceremony was at a chapel at 6pm. It ended around 6:45. 
    - Guests arrived at the house just around 7:20
    - The person who unlocked the door to let people in left right after the ceremony and lit all the candles and turned on the lights in the house (basically, after the end of the ceremony, there was the recessional, the guests were then ushered to the steps of the chapel and greeted the couple with sparklers - the person who unlocked the door left right after the ceremony and missed the "grand exit", they had time to light all the candles)
    -The couple and wedding party took pictures until about 7:40 (it was very rushed, she regrets this part of the planning)
    - The wedding party arrived at the house about ten minutes later (just before 8)
    - There was no sit down dinner (very clearly indicated on the invitations), but delicious appetizers (they hired servers who walked around with platters) (they also had a bar)
    - The last guests (myself and the other bridesmaids!) locked up their house just after 1am

In terms of "activities"
    - Band played two sets - one during "cocktail hour" and then a longer set just after the couple's arrival
    - Toasts were done after the second set
    - They bought a bunch of NYE party favours (hats, sunglasses, noise makers, etc etc etc)
    - Before midnight, servers brought champagne glasses to everyone
    - Outdoor smores bar - we set up a fire pit and then provided all things necessary for smores (marshmallow, graham crackers, chocolate)
    - "photobooth" - we set up a backdrop in one of the rooms and then provided props. the pictures are amazing!

Other "logistics"
    - They divided the ground floor of their house into different "zones" (put all the furniture in the basement) - the living room/dining room was turned into a dancing area/lounge (high tables), one of the bedrooms was a "bar" (bar and special tables with pics etc…), another bedroom was a "quiet" area for the older guests (regular tables) and deserts, and, finally there was one small bedroom that was used as a Photo Booth
    - They decorated the bathroom beautifully - they have a claw foot tub that they filled with water and then a bunch of floating candles. We also put together a "basket" of things like toothpaste, hairspray, deodorant, mints, etc… 

I hope this gives you some inspiration… Honestly, it was such an amazing wedding! Have fun planning yours!!!

• First, I hate how everyone criticizes others' wedding plans… seriously nay-sayers, STOP!

My friend had a NYE wedding at her house and it was AMAZING - the ceremony was beautiful and everyone had a blast at the reception! There were about 60 guests. Here was their schedule/some "special activities":

- Ceremony was at a chapel at 6pm. It ended around 6:45. 
    - Guests arrived at the house just around 7:20
    - The person who unlocked the door to let people in left right after the ceremony and lit all the candles and turned on the lights in the house (basically, after the end of the ceremony, there was the recessional, the guests were then ushered to the steps of the chapel and greeted the couple with sparklers - the person who unlocked the door left right after the ceremony and missed the "grand exit", they had time to light all the candles)
    -The couple and wedding party took pictures until about 7:40 (it was very rushed, she regrets this part of the planning)
    - The wedding party arrived at the house about ten minutes later (just before 8)
    - There was no sit down dinner (very clearly indicated on the invitations), but delicious appetizers (they hired servers who walked around with platters) (they also had a bar)
    - The last guests (myself and the other bridesmaids!) locked up their house just after 1am

In terms of "activities"
    - Band played two sets - one during "cocktail hour" and then a longer set just after the couple's arrival
    - Toasts were done after the second set
    - They bought a bunch of NYE party favours (hats, sunglasses, noise makers, etc etc etc)
    - Before midnight, servers brought champagne glasses to everyone
    - Outdoor smores bar - we set up a fire pit and then provided all things necessary for smores (marshmallow, graham crackers, chocolate)
    - "photobooth" - we set up a backdrop in one of the rooms and then provided props. the pictures are amazing!

Other "logistics"
    - They divided the ground floor of their house into different "zones" (put all the furniture in the basement) - the living room/dining room was turned into a dancing area/lounge (high tables), one of the bedrooms was a "bar" (bar and special tables with pics etc…), another bedroom was a "quiet" area for the older guests (regular tables) and deserts, and, finally there was one small bedroom that was used as a Photo Booth
    - They decorated the bathroom beautifully - they have a claw foot tub that they filled with water and then a bunch of floating candles. We also put together a "basket" of things like toothpaste, hairspray, deodorant, mints, etc… 

I hope this gives you some inspiration… Honestly, it was such an amazing wedding! Have fun planning yours!!!

Nobody is being a naysayer.....everyone is trying to give opinions, different perspectives, etc.  If these types of reactions bother you, perhaps a public message board isn't for you.

That said, if I was going to a New Year's Eve wedding, it better be a kick ass wedding.   My expectations are much higher than any other given night during the year and the bar is definitely raised.  I feel you can't host your wedding on one of the biggest party nights of the year and just have it be a typical wedding.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards