Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it alright for MOB to wear white too?

My mom just came home with her dress and its white. And I mean WHITE. She asked how I felt about it and I honestly don't know. She's been having a hard time finding a dress and she looks great in it, but at the same time we don't have that great of a relationship. I feel like if I told her I didn't like it, it would turn into a big thing that would add even more stress. I guess what I'm wondering is, am I crazy for feeling this way? And is it still considered bad taste for others besides the bride to wear white

Best Answers

Re: Is it alright for MOB to wear white too?

• Options
    If you are okay with it, then it doesn't matter. If you're not okay with it but don't want to rock the boat, have MOG and your bridesmaids wear white.
    If you don't want her wearing white and want to talk to her about it, maybe see if it can be dyed a different color.

Anniversary
  • Options
    IMO it's not okay, but she's the one who's going to look like a bitch. And you can't ask her to pick something else, so the best thing to do would be to just not mention it.
  • Options
    No, it's really not okay, however, you cannot say anything to her about it. Many people will silently roll their eyes and judge her for trying to look like a bride. If you say anything, it will only reflect poorly on you. 
  • Options
    I've been told that the rule of "don't wear the same color as the bride" is going out of style. IMO, I think it's very rude for someone else to wear the same color. However, I agree with other people. It's best not to say anything. You don't want to create drama between the two of you, so it's best just to let it go. People will be looking at you at the wedding, not her.
  • Options
    I would never do it, and guests may be thinking, "wtf?", but if you're okay with it, so be it.  Hopefully she accessorizes with a lot of color to distract 
  • Options
    NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013

I agree with @misssunshine17 and @winelover123.

It's kind of tacky for her to do that, but I wouldn't say anything, especially if you're afraid it'll cause major drama. 

The fact that she's in white will reflect poorly on her, not you.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone. She was gonna try and over accessorize too but I already put my foot down on that.
  • Options
    Don't put your foot down to anything. She's an adult and can choose her own dress. You saying anything will just stir the pot and cause other issues. Just leave her alone. 
  • Options
    Well she wanted to wear gloves, crystal bracelets, necklaces and earrings AND a hairpiece....
  • Options
    Well she wanted to wear gloves, crystal bracelets, necklaces and earrings AND a hairpiece....
    Sounds like she's trying to upstage you...
  • Options
    She's an adult, it's her decision ....period.  Not my taste, not your taste, not most people's taste likely, but you need to let her decide.
  • Options
    Probably, but at the same time its not her wedding and it looks like she wants to be the star of it.

I would let her know how i feel.
  • Options
    it's odd, but end of the day she will look like the fool...and I promise no one will mistaken her for the "bride."  There are some dresses that although are white/ivory they look nothing like a wedding dress so its possible she will pull it off.  My husbands grandmother wore a nice ivory dress suit to our wedding.  I did not even notice until I was looking back on pictures.  She looked lovely. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Since it's white; why not suggest she have it professionally dyed to a different color?

But, yeah...people are gonna side-eye her.  Especially if she goes accessory crazy.
  • Options
       My mom wore this dress http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-mo166.html I bought her several months ago to my wedding. lol. I don't see any problem with it because of her age, it looked classy and beautiful, and she did not upstage me at all in any way! if she was my sister and wearing some long white gown, I would be upset. But I think that older generations can get away with it because there is no way that people will mistaken her for a bride. I think you should just let it go. It's not worth fighting over. All eyes will be on you anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards