Wedding Reception Forum

Late night snack-bevvie idea

I'm not sure if we're going to do this, but I wanted an outsiders' opinion.

I was thinking of having a table set up for about 10 pm, with snacks/drinks from all 9 countries of our combined backgrounds. This would mean a range of food from Vinatarta (Icelandic), Strudel (German), Maple pops (French Canadian), Bannock (Metis), Shortbreads & Scotch (Scottish), Kelbasa (Polish), Irish Coffee (Ireland), Paska & Mead (Ukrainian). Little flags of the country the dish comes from would be next to them.

Does this sound like something that would go over well at a wedding? TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Late night snack-bevvie idea

• TeddiD34 said:

I'm not sure if we're going to do this, but I wanted an outsiders' opinion.

I was thinking of having a table set up for about 10 pm, with snacks/drinks from all 9 countries of our combined backgrounds. This would mean a range of food from Vinatarta (Icelandic), Strudel (German), Maple pops (French Canadian), Bannock (Metis), Shortbreads & Scotch (Scottish), Kelbasa (Polish), Irish Coffee (Ireland), Paska & Mead (Ukrainian). Little flags of the country the dish comes from would be next to them.

Does this sound like something that would go over well at a wedding? TIA!

Sure, just do this as a dessert table (do you have bakeries that can make a high volume of all of these specialties?)

Try Paczkis or Makowiec for your Polish "dessert" as the Kielbasa is kind of an outlier.

• edited August 2013
    I would make it all dessert foods, but it sounds like a good idea. 

ETA: I would just make sure to have a frame or something explaining. 
  • I thought of that, but some people don't like sweets, and since it'll be late with an open bar I wanted to have something for everyone.

And yes, we would have a little framed sign with a very brief explanation. Good point!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• TeddiD34 said:

I thought of that, but some people don't like sweets, and since it'll be late with an open bar I wanted to have something for everyone.

And yes, we would have a little framed sign with a very brief explanation. Good point!

Then just order some pizzas! Problem solved.

I would keep the "ethnic foods" table all desserts.

• I disagree with the PPs.  If you are those ethnicities, then I'm assuming your families are used to some of these foods, correct?  I've been to several ethnic weddings where ethnic food was served.  

If these are distant heritages and nobody in your family is familiar with these foods, I'd skip this idea- it would seem like you were grasping at straws.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• melb2013 said:
    I disagree with the PPs.  If you are those ethnicities, then I'm assuming your families are used to some of these foods, correct?  I've been to several ethnic weddings where ethnic food was served.  

If these are distant heritages and nobody in your family is familiar with these foods, I'd skip this idea- it would seem like you were grasping at straws.

@melb2013 Disagree with what? All but one of the items the OP listed were primarily dessert items. So, hence, the dessert table makes sense.

Having kielbasa sausage on a table with a bunch of bakery makes little sense.

• Actually, it does make more sense to have the "cultural tour"  as a dessert table, and have a seperate table for fancy cheeses and meats and cracker-sort of stuff.

Thanks for your feedback, ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If u want to do that I think it's a great idea but I'd try to keep it to baked goods either sweet or savory and finger food sized pieces. To me I probably wouldn't want a piece of kielbasa after a big dinner but would be fine with a small piece of cake or bread.

• All I can add to this is... yummmmmmmmm.

• melb2013 said:
    I disagree with the PPs.  If you are those ethnicities, then I'm assuming your families are used to some of these foods, correct?  I've been to several ethnic weddings where ethnic food was served.  

I cannot stand when people use this word this way. We are all ethnic because we all have an ethnicity (or 12). So "ethnic food" is a totally meaningless term. Sorry, that drives me crazy.

Also, OP that sounds freakin delicious and I think it's a great idea to have sweets and some hearty food to lay on top of all the booze in the bellies.

Anniversary

• OP, I think that this is a great idea.  It probably will work best as a dessert table, but everything sounds yummy.
  • That was me loving all of your posts :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards