Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Guest List Dilemma!

I have already asked EVERYONE that was on our initial guest list for their addresses to send out our save-the-dates. However, due to unexpected budget cuts we now have to cut at least 15% of our list! How do I handle this?

Thanks!

Re: Guest List Dilemma!

• Options
    When asking for the addresses did you SAY it was for the wedding?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I said it would be for sending out save the dates-- and many of these people are expecting to be invited! I just don't want to be rude, you know?
  • Options
    Anyone who received a save the date must be invited now. You're stuck there. You can't rescind the invitation without looking rude and hurting people's feelings.  You'll have to find other places to cut your budget to accomodate everyone.  Less expensive flowers or food, smaller photography package, make your own invitations, no limo.  Just take a little from here and there to make up the difference. Or, take whatever temporary jobs you can find to save up a little more money - babysitting, mowing yards, whatever works for you.
  • Options

I've already bought, addressed, and stamped the Save the Dates (and a good bit of our guests are out-of-towners), so I think it would be necessary to mail them out... We've cut almost 30 as of today!

• Options

I haven't sent the Save The Dates out yet though-- would it still be rude?

• Options
    Thing is-- it's already a low-budget wedding. The most expensive parts are the venue (which will be used for Rehearsal, RD, Ceremony, AND Reception) the catering, and the tents/tables/chairs rental (pretty much non-negotiable). FI and I haven't even began to think about alcohol (he's a fraternity guy, I'm a sorority girl-- talk about getting expensive). Our food is as inexpensive as it's going to get-- we're service pasta dishes. Our decorations are DIY as well as our programs. We don't have a videographer at all... This is where I begin to think where am I going to cut my budget?
  • Options
    Yeah, this is really tough. I'm sorry you're in this situation. Typically, we say, "If you send a save-the-date to someone, you have to invite them," and you haven't sent the save-the-dates. But anyone who was explicitly told, "We need your address for save-the-dates/wedding invitations," is kind of now invited. Sorry :(

I would try to cut costs any way you can besides cutting guests. @scribe85's suggestions are good: try less expensive decor, limit paper goods or find inexpensive replacements, reduce unnecessary vendors, forgo favors, consider a buffet meal. If you haven't booked a venue yet, I'd try to find one that doesn't require too much decoration.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it- just cut who you want to cut. If the people you cut mention it just say that unfortunately your budget couldn't allow everyone you wished to attend it. You haven't sent the STDs so it's not truly bad etiquette.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Will it save any money to cut your Reheasal & RD?  They are not necessary, unless you are having a very complicated ceremony.
  • Options
    Thing is-- it's already a low-budget wedding. The most expensive parts are the venue (which will be used for Rehearsal, RD, Ceremony, AND Reception) the catering, and the tents/tables/chairs rental (pretty much non-negotiable). FI and I haven't even began to think about alcohol (he's a fraternity guy, I'm a sorority girl-- talk about getting expensive). Our food is as inexpensive as it's going to get-- we're service pasta dishes. Our decorations are DIY as well as our programs. We don't have a videographer at all... This is where I begin to think where am I going to cut my budget?
    Linens? It's often times cheaper to buy linens used on ebay or craigslist than to rent them. That might save some money :-\
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It won't-- the venue is a flat fee, we're considering using my mother as the officiant, and ILs are footing the bill for the RD.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion @ashleyep!
  • Options

I have already asked EVERYONE that was on our initial guest list for their addresses to send out our save-the-dates. However, due to unexpected budget cuts we now have to cut at least 15% of our list! How do I handle this?

Thanks!

I've already bought, addressed, and stamped the Save the Dates (and a good bit of our guests are out-of-towners), so I think it would be necessary to mail them out... We've cut almost 30 as of today!

I am just curious as to how many people you are inviting to your wedding. Because if you cut 30 people and havent hit that 15% mark yet, that's a lot of people. I would definitely consider skipping programs, favors, grooms cake, photobooth, and even cutting down on flowers this may help with the budget as well. If you do need to buy cake cutting sets and toasting flutes I would suggest oriental trading company, they engraved them too. Way cheaper than that Thing's Remembered place at the mall.
  • Options
    @scribe95 We still have a few months before we have to send them out. You're right though-- it'll be someone or another.
  • Options
    Have you considered changing the time of your ceremony to a non-meal time and then having a shorter reception and just serving some cheese and crackers, fruit, veggies, and cake?  And if you still want some alcohol you could always just serve beer and wine with maybe one signature drink but even that you could do without.

Like others have said, even though you haven't sent the STDs you basically made it known to the people that you were going to invite them to your wedding.

• Options
    @huynhette Our initial guest list was 145-150. We've cut a little over 15%. Programs aren't a high priority for me, but if I find a $70 worth of stationary from Vistaprint for $15 again (I did those deals for invitations, save the dates, thank you cards) I will jump at it. A family member is doing the cakes for us, so we didn't really include the cake in the budget. Flowers I got really cheap from an online vendor (and they're silk, so I've already received them). My parents gifted me a nice flute and server set from Things Remembered, so that isn't in the budget either.
  • Options
    @huynhette Our initial guest list was 145-150. We've cut a little over 15%. Programs aren't a high priority for me, but if I find a $70 worth of stationary from Vistaprint for $15 again (I did those deals for invitations, save the dates, thank you cards) I will jump at it. A family member is doing the cakes for us, so we didn't really include the cake in the budget. Flowers I got really cheap from an online vendor (and they're silk, so I've already received them). My parents gifted me a nice flute and server set from Things Remembered, so that isn't in the budget either.
    I found a 15 for 45. It looks like the 17 for 70 is sold out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Maggie0829, our wedding is at 7PM on a Friday evening. Invitations are already ordered, but we haven't put a deposit down on the caterer yet. Do you think it would be appropriate to serve finger foods? I'm really not sure about that. And that's what I'm really stressing over-- I don't want to offend anyone but it's not feasible to have so many guests with the budget we have now.
  • Options
    @ashleyep Thanks!
    Just be careful, I think sometimes the sales that vistaprint have might make it a better deal. You don't get the sale price with the groupon I don't believe.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @ashleyep You don't get the sale price with the Groupon-- but I've done the math, and it turns out much cheaper with the Groupon.
  • Options
    @louandbean - no 7pm is a meal time so people will be expecting a meal.  To do finger foods you would need to supply at least 15-25 pieces per person of heavy apps to constitute a meal and that will run you into even more money then a buffet or sit down dinner would.

How much were you invitations?  If you didn't spend a lot on them I would reconsider your start time to either after 8pm or earlier like 1:30pm to save on having to serve a meal.  It seems like it would be cheaper to have the invites reprinted since you have a long time till your wedding if you haven't even sent the STDs, then trying to cut back anymore without uninviting some guests.

• Options
    If you haven't booked your caterer yet can you find a cheaper alternative? Perhaps a local restaurant that will bring hot dishes of pasta or something like that rather than a wedding caterer.
  • Options

Louandbean, When you talk about getting addresses to send to people for invitations or STDs...you're telling them they are invited. It's a rough position.

Here's what I would do.... I would invite the people and plan as though they are all coming. Since you are doing a wedding that is not at a meal time, I would plan for heavy appetizers, cake and punch. I'd do a non-alc punch and an spiked punch and cut out other alcohol.

I would have a backup plan. If enough people decline and we had the funds, I'd up to a buffet-style arrangement with a fuller entrée.

Alternately, I would choose a cheaper meal from the caterer and upgrade it when I know enough people have declined.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options

Louandbean, When you talk about getting addresses to send to people for invitations or STDs...you're telling them they are invited. It's a rough position.

Here's what I would do.... I would invite the people and plan as though they are all coming. Since you are doing a wedding that is not at a meal time, I would plan for heavy appetizers, cake and punch. I'd do a non-alc punch and an spiked punch and cut out other alcohol.

I would have a backup plan. If enough people decline and we had the funds, I'd up to a buffet-style arrangement with a fuller entrée.

Alternately, I would choose a cheaper meal from the caterer and upgrade it when I know enough people have declined.

But 7pm is a meal time.  I think any wedding taking place between 4pm and 8pm is taking place at a meal time.  Think of it this way.  Say I am one of her guests and live about 30 minutes away from the venue.  Well I would be getting ready at 5pm and then leaving my house at 6 or 6:15. Needless to say I would be expecting a meal and not just a few apps and cake.  Especially since it is a Friday wedding so most likely I would be rushing to get home from work, change and get out the door to make it to the ceremony in time...no way I would have time to eat something before hand.

• Options
    @Maggie0829 those were my thoughts exactly. And a great percentage of the people invited are more than 1 hour away from the venue. I can't serve just apps and cake, I'd feel terrible. Unless, I had an insert that said hors d'oeuvres and cake to follow? That way people would know there wouldn't be a meal? I'd still feel rude though-- I don't want my guests to have to run through a McDonalds and have a nasty, unhealthy meal because otherwise they wouldn't make it on time.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    @louandbean - no don't include an insert listing that you aren't serving them a full meal.  It would be rude to cut the food because with weddings people will remember only a few things...how pretty you looked in your dress, the food, and the music.  If you don't serve a full meal at a meal time people will remember that but not in a good way.

You didn't answer my last question though.  How much did you spend on your invites?  If you got them through Vista Print and got a good deal then probably not that much.  All you would need to do is reprint the actual invite and not the RSVP card.  I would really reconsider the timing of your wedding.  Cutting back on food but at the correct time of day will definitely save you some cash.

• Options
    When is your wedding?
  • Options
    @maggie0829 sorry, didn't see your last post! They were $35 with shipping. That's an idea FI and I will consider though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards