September 2014 Weddings

Not Taking Me Seriously...

TeriBeri06TeriBeri06 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
edited August 2013 in September 2014 Weddings

I've been told that I have ages before my wedding and that I can take my time with planning. I agree with that statement...but I really don't want to leave anything to the last minute. Ideally it'll be this time next year and all we have to day is show up, look pretty, and say I do. So needless to say I've done a couple of dress trials and attempted to do a bridesmaids trials. I made an appt and went in to...the store will remain nameless....and when I told the consultant my date she looked and me and my maid of honor and said she had another bride and told  us we could look arounf but would not be able to try anything on b/c there wasn't another consultant. Has anyone else run into similar situations with what some call "a far away date"?

Sep. 6, 2014

Re: Not Taking Me Seriously...

• Surprisingly no I haven't had any issues with that. I found a dress on sale and went to try it on a week later. I got my dress in July (got engaged end of April). Our wedding is next Sept 6th. Everyone has been really good about things and no one has given me any trouble except maybe my fiance ;)
    As of now we have a surprisingly large chunk of our wedding planned (luckily our venue includes a lot so theres no catering or rentals to deal with). Having a bunch planned this early makes me a lot less anxious about last minute scrambles. I definitely understand your desire to plan early, I'd say just give your business to those stores and vendors that respect you and your wedding date.
    The wedding industry is expensive, why anyone would turn away potential clients is beyond me. I'd say if they want your business they'd help you out. Good luck! Don't let this one setback discourage you!
  • Thanks! I'm glad everything is happy sailing for you and congratulations! 9/6/14 is a great date :) I won't let is discourage me but I definitely won't be going back to that place.

Best!

• Bummer! I am also getting married on 9-6-14. I'm going to my first wedding dress appointment this weekend! The only vendors in my experience that don't want to meet till closer to the wedding date are hair and makeup stylists and invitations/stationery shops. Happy planning!
  • I am getting married Sunday, 9/7/14 - and have already bought my dress - about a month ago. Just got an email this weekend saying it was ready to be picked up. Of course I won't do the alterations for a while but the store/consultants didn't give me any problems with my date. Honestly I wasn't expecting to get a dress so soon but when it went on sale for almost half off I couldn't resist!

I'm with everyone else - if they brush you off now they are not worth your business, find a place that treats you right!

Best of luck with everything!

• we are getting married 9/7/2014 and the only time i ran into people thinking we were too ahead of the game was when we took a pre cana class this summer. What can I say? It was all in one day and I don't want to squeeze it in next summer!
  • We are getting married 9/27/2014 and we have most of our vendors booked. Some were surprised to find out the date when we first met up (I guess it was early for them), but things in our town book very fast. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm also getting married 9/27/14, and we booked our venue in May - and chose our date because it was the only date they had available in Sept 2014! Our major vendors were booked by early August, and I'm so glad we did because both our photographer and DJ had multiple inquiries on our date when I called to set up appointments. I'd rather be the bride who gets the vendors she wants early in the process than the bride who gets stuck with the leftover vendors who are the only ones available! I say, plan away!
  • I've been told that I have ages before my wedding and that I can take my time with planning. I agree with that statement...but I really don't want to leave anything to the last minute. Ideally it'll be this time next year and all we have to day is show up, look pretty, and say I do. So needless to say I've done a couple of dress trials and attempted to do a bridesmaids trials. I made an appt and went in to...the store will remain nameless....and when I told the consultant my date she looked and me and my maid of honor and said she had another bride and told  us we could look arounf but would not be able to try anything on b/c there wasn't another consultant. Has anyone else run into similar situations with what some call "a far away date"?

Sep. 6, 2014

I am in a similar position as you (October 2014), but I'm also planning long-distance so I'd like to get things done ahead of time. I made appointments for dresses last weekend just to get a sense of styles that were flattering so I'd have a better idea of what to look for as the time to pick a dress got closer. Each consultant gave me her full attention, which is what's supposed to happen when you make an appointment. She could at least give you a few things to try on with the help of your bridesmaids before she went back to the other bride. If you had just been a walk-in, maybe I could see her attending to another bride exclusively, but you took the time to make the appointment and deserve to have that time regardless of your wedding date. That is completely unacceptable, not to mention a terrible business practice. What if that appointment was where you found the dress you fell in love with? They potentially just lost a sale! If I were you, I'd not only name the place and post a review of your experience, but complain to the higher-ups in charge. If it's a staff-shortage problem, that's something they need to fix immediately.
  • I have had mixed reactions as my wedding date is the day before yours. A lot of vendors are surprised at how advanced the planning is but but necessarily have negative reaction to it. Vendors are booking 1-2 years in advanced and that is not something you can't really wait on. I think dress shopping is a great idea so you can get an idea of what dresses you find will work and not work just don't expect the bridesmaids to order until the new year. I found by looking around now - it has been a lot easier to price and take time to find the right vendor.

As for the customer service you received - regardless of the date they should still serve you. I understand in their mind the csr probably feels that the likely hood of getting a sale is nil but it is still their responsibility.  I took my cousin in to davids bridal for an idea and had a lukewarm response even though I had an appointment. Whether it was because it was insane in there that day due to prom season or because my date was over a year away I am unsure. Regardless, it says a lot about the staff.

• I am getting married 9/20/14 and I got my dress about a month ago. I got engaged end of May and booked my venue and ceremony space by July since Sept is a popular month, some places were already booked! I have some major vendors contacted but mostly because my family knows them, I haven't exactly signed contracts but I know who the DJ, photographer, videographer, and florist will be and who will do the ceremony music. So that makes me feel like most big things are at least in the works. As far as bridesmaids dresses..I could see a store side eyeing that I think it probably is a little soon. I'm shocked to hear people not getting good customer service when looking at bridal gowns, when I went I felt silly, like maybe it was early and the salon told me no that the sooner then better since some dresses can take 6-8 months to come in.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards