Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Secret Mods?

A friend of mine received the following message from TK: 

"We removed moderators a few months back and have come to the realization that we need help! Our mistake, and we’re owning that!

That’s where you come in, if you accept. We’ve handpicked you for the opportunity to secretly moderate our forums as we continue to improve the community. 

Why secretly? Well, not everyone loves moderators, so we’re giving you the opportunity to enforce the rules and keep things cool while still being a “regular” user. There’s no moderation badge this time to show off to other members or assigned boards at the moment. But we will reward your efforts (who likes gift cards?!).

The role details are still being worked on, but we wanted to tap you and see if you’d be interested in moderating."

Really TK? What the hell is the point of having SECRET mods? AND bribing them?

Re: XP: Secret Mods?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013

Wow. WHAT THE HELL.

I post here every day, much like some of you, and didn't receive an invite to secret mod.

That is obnoxious.

ETA: I bet it's because my advice was posted in TK magazine alongside banhammered members.

• button6004button6004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    @knotporscha I was moderator of 2 boards and didn't receive this message. What gives?

ETA: I like gift cards.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• wow, that's a new low....

Anniversary

• @KnotPorscha why must you be so shady?

It's like you won't give us straight answers on anything.  You still have failed to clarify what the TOS actually say, what constitutes a violation.  Warnings are given out randomly.  What is "warnable" in one thread results in no warnings in another.  

You have been less than transparent in everything.  And instead of giving us explanations, you now are going to unleash "secret police" on this site.  What the actual fuck.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • ...and you thought you had a clusterfuck last month!
  • I wasn't invited back, either. Granted, I was only a mod for like a week before they were removed, and wouldn't have time now, but still.

Secrecy of modship will negate their authority. A newbie will just think a reg is being mean and trying to control how he or she posts if they give a warning or reminder of the TOS.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @KnotPorscha and the rest of TK Gods, did you not think this info was going to get out to the rest of us?  Were you going to tell us about the "secret mods" or just let things keep going the way they were?  And then to bribe the mods with gift cards, seriously?!

Were any of the old mods asked to mod again?  I was a mod over on A&A for awhile before all hell broke loose yet I wasn't asked to be a mod again.  Why is that?

• My personal opinion is that mods should come back, but should still be signified as moderators.  

We're all adults here and I agree with bunni and Bruin's points about anonymity negating their authority and witchhunts.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • It's not owning your mistake when you reach out to others via email and then ask that they keep their efforts a secret.
    Mods should never have been removed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Anniversary
  • NYCBruin said:
    Oh and KGs you do realize the amount of backlash against users this will cause, right?  If someone's comments get moderated by a "secret person," the poster is likely going to accuse posters who they disagree with of being secret mods.  Didn't you ever play any of those "guess the murderer" or "find the witch" games as a child?  Everyone turns on each other pretty quickly when there's just the SUGGESTION that there might be a secret bad guy.  Go read The Crucible and rethink your plan.
    ahh good analogy I love that play, I played Mary Warren a few years ago.

Anniversary

• Not to mention, it will be even MORE confusing for newbie posters.

At least with identified mods on each board, a newb could PM a mod if they were confused...or it was easy to see who the "authority" figure was if you were a newb or lurker.

• I'm pretty sure none of the old mods were asked back. Obviously because 1 mod went flag happy we're all guilty.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I posted this on the knottie tech board for an answer too but, of course, nothing so far.  Shocker.

My theory is that enough of us regs didn't leave last month so they are trying something else.
  • NYCBruin said:
    @KnotPorscha why must you be so shady?

It's like you won't give us straight answers on anything.  You still have failed to clarify what the TOS actually say, what constitutes a violation.  Warnings are given out randomly.  What is "warnable" in one thread results in no warnings in another.  

You have been less than transparent in everything.  And instead of giving us explanations, you now are going to unleash "secret police" on this site.  What the actual fuck.
    This. I had been wondering if I should say anything, but I got warned on my "they knew and they did it anyway" thread because I said "looks like she's an MOG (other threads). I just feel really sorry for her FDIL and her son if she acts like this IRL... that poor girl is in for more than she probably realizes."

KP said it was a personal attack. Seriously? If that's a personal attack that merits a warning, none of us would be left - so obviously warnings are administered unfairly and at random. That's nothing "secret mods" are going to fix. 

Secret mods are a terrible idea. Just designate moderators if you want mods and be done with it. Why does everything have to be so secretive, backdoor and dramatic?
    *********************************************************************************

• Seriously..is this just one big game of Big Brother?!?!? Fuck
    Anniversary
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Seriously..is this just one big game of Big Brother?!?!? Fuck
    No they sent us back to the 1600s.  It's witch hunting now.

Oh thats right!
    Anniversary
    Shall we start now?  Who wants to be the first to guess who's been made a secret mod?
  • Interesting.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

A gif from The Crucible...

Anniversary

• Swazzle said:
    A friend of mine received the following message from TK: 

"We removed moderators a few months back and have come to the realization that we need help! Our mistake, and we’re owning that!

That’s where you come in, if you accept. We’ve handpicked you for the opportunity to secretly moderate our forums as we continue to improve the community. 

Why secretly? Well, not everyone loves moderators, so we’re giving you the opportunity to enforce the rules and keep things cool while still being a “regular” user. There’s no moderation badge this time to show off to other members or assigned boards at the moment. But we will reward your efforts (who likes gift cards?!).

The role details are still being worked on, but we wanted to tap you and see if you’d be interested in moderating."

Really TK? What the hell is the point of having SECRET mods? AND bribing them?
    quoting in case you get booted. Thanks for posting - transparency is always valued. 
    *********************************************************************************

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    NYCBruin said:
    Shall we start now?  Who wants to be the first to guess who's been made a secret mod?
    If these people that were asked had any type of integrity they would come forward and publicly say this is wrong. But we all know that's not gonna happen.

• NYCBruin said:
    If these people that were asked had any type of integrity they would come forward and publicly say this is wrong. But we all know that's not gonna happen.
    I know, so sad.  I can think of a bunch of people who would be great mods and would never stand for this, but of course those aren't the mods TK wants.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Why are our "Mods" secret.  The Bump has publicly posted Mods and posts there are crazier, from what I've seen.  They also have public "like its".   I think TN does too.  Why is TK getting screwed over on all of this??

ETA - clarity

• Well, TK has reached a new low in my eyes.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards