Pennsylvania-Central

Two questions...

The less serious one first:

Our wedding is in August, and our reception site is semi-outside. It's in the evening, which will help with the heat, but is there really any way to manage this besides moving it indoors? Our site is really the only location in the area that I was even remotely interested in, but I worry it will be too hot. I didn't even think about it until recently, and now I'm not sure what else to do. There aren't a whole lot of options near my ceremony location, and this one is totally perfect...minus this issue. I thought about portable AC, but is that completely unreasonable?

The more serious one:

My fiance is an only child, and both of his parents have passed away in the last few years. He was always very close to his parents, especially his mother, and we want to honor them somehow on our wedding day. He has already said he does not want to leave empty seats for them as he has heard suggested, because he knows he'll take one look at them and not do so well...but we can't think of what to do that will be nice and appropriate and not cause us both to totally fall to pieces. Any ideas?

Re: Two questions...

• edited December 2011

If it's semi outdoots I'm assuming there is some sort of indoor option if people get hot they can go to?? i'd think that be okay and since it's at night i think you'd be fine

My grandfather,who i was really close with, died this past jan, and my father suddenly passed away like 2 weeks later.  I'm doing a memorial table, tall vases with there pictures and maybe a poem printed on vellum with a candle inside for each (plus my fiances gp) I'll probably fill the table with other pictures as well....We are also making a donation to the American Diabetes Assoc instead of giving favors b/c both my dad and grandfather had severe diabetes.  If that might be too much for him, it could be as simple as choosing their first song to be your first song, or choosing their song to dance to sometime during the night.  I know people put In Memory of in their programs as well. 

• edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about the first question. I'm not sure what you're asking really. So, you're afraid it will be too hot in the evening, but you don't want to go indoors? If you are getting married in central PA, it shouldn't be any warmer than 80 on an August evening. My only suggestion would be to rent industrial fans...maybe one or two and place them outside wo help with the air flow.

The second one, I can realate to. When I got married, my husband also had just lost both of his parents the year prior to the wedding. He is from Mass, and only 10 people in his family showed up at all. We didn't have traditional "sides" in the ceremony. People were just mixed together and my parents/his grandparents sat in the front row. We had our officiant say something very small, just about remembering those who have passed and how they are in our hearts. Also, DH wore a purple flower, his Mom's favorite color, in rememberance.

We also had a slide show with photos of us mixed in with all of the guests and had his mom and dad's photos on there too. It was a huge hit.

We didn't want the ceremony to be sad in any way, so we kept it very simple and more general to "those who can't be with us" kind of thing. I know that everyone appreciated it.
  • edited December 2011
    I am not sure about your venue, I would ask the person in charge of events there.

We were going to do a memorial table.  I heard of others things some people put a flower on the chairs with the names of those who passed.   Not sure you will like this but another idea is to take a picture of your passed loved ones put them in some nice frames and include them in the group pictures.  Have you and FI hold them during the pictures.  I seen it done in in family portraits but I think it would be nice to have something like that.  HTH
    Michelle and Chris 10.10.10 ~Planning Bio~Updated September 12th~ 10/10 Siggy challenge: Walking down the aisle Photobucket
  • redreviving6redreviving6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IDK about the first question but I remember seeing a bride helping their groom honor his parents by giving him cufflinks with a photo of each parent in it.  Symbolically they were both by his side.

You can find photo cufflinks on the net at a few places.

Good luck and whatever you all decide, I am sure they will be smiling down on you both!
  • coralorchid10coralorchid10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I think he liked the idea of a memorial table, so we might try to do that. The song idea is a good one too, if he knows it. I'm sure we can find their wedding stuff and incorporate it somehow.

As for my first question, sorry about the confusion. It was very late, and when I get all excited thinking about something, like the wedding, sometimes what I mean doesn't exactly come out right :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards