Catholic Weddings
Options

Latin/Responses in the Ceremony

JMJ

Good evening, friends!

My fiancee and I want to include Latin in our ceremony. Probably including "Dominus vobiscum/Et cum spiritu tuo" instead of "The Lord be with you/And with your spirit", as well as the Consecration.

Did any of you, or are you planning to, have Latin in your ceremony? How do you recommend having the congregation make the Latin responses correctly? For that matter, since many of our guests might not necessarily be weekly Mass people, how do you encourage people to make the English responses correctly?

My idea was to have the cantor make a brief instruction before the ceremony on how to say "Et cum spiritu tuo". If we do this, should we do it before any of the interlude music starts?

I would love any comments on the use of Latin in the Liturgy. Thank you!

Re: Latin/Responses in the Ceremony

• Options
    JMJ

Good evening, friends!

My fiancee and I want to include Latin in our ceremony. Probably including "Dominus vobiscum/Et cum spiritu tuo" instead of "The Lord be with you/And with your spirit", as well as the Consecration.

Did any of you, or are you planning to, have Latin in your ceremony? How do you recommend having the congregation make the Latin responses correctly? For that matter, since many of our guests might not necessarily be weekly Mass people, how do you encourage people to make the English responses correctly?

My idea was to have the cantor make a brief instruction before the ceremony on how to say "Et cum spiritu tuo". If we do this, should we do it before any of the interlude music starts?

I would love any comments on the use of Latin in the Liturgy. Thank you!

Your Catholic guests will know how to say the phrases (even if you don't go to Mass weekly, you can figure it out)...and your non-Catholic guests likely wouldn't respond anyways even if you gave a tutorial.

Just have the responses in your program, and you'll be fine.

Personally, my vote is to skip the Latin unless you're having a Latin Mass.

• Options
    Are you having anyone sing the propers? You could have them "lead" the responses for the congregation.  Are there any guests that would be very comfortable with the responses? Maybe have them sit strategically so that they can help the group?

We did a Latin mass and our choir basically helped fill in the space. Though most of our guests were Catholic (and many would know the Latin mass from their childhood) I found that people get a bit shy about these things. I wouldn't worry if the responses aren't very robust!
  • Options
    Riss91 said:
    Are you having anyone sing the propers? You could have them "lead" the responses for the congregation.  Are there any guests that would be very comfortable with the responses? Maybe have them sit strategically so that they can help the group?

We did a Latin mass and our choir basically helped fill in the space. Though most of our guests were Catholic (and many would know the Latin mass from their childhood) I found that people get a bit shy about these things. I wouldn't worry if the responses aren't very robust!
    I agree with this.  I actually couldn't hear anything from the congregation during our wedding.  I don't think it was because no one was responding, I just think I was focused on other things.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards