Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Secret Mods?

Re: XP: Secret Mods?

• You had secret meetings to ban Stage & Linger without them getting their TOS sanctioned 5 warnings, and now you are going to have secret mods?  There was only one Mod who had a vendetta and it was pretty public.  That person is now gone, so why the need for secret mods?  Just give the Mods who did their job properly, their Modships back, put their picture up at the top of the board!  Doing it all in secret will not be good for anyone.
    Are we sure???
  • @itzMS When the May2014 started to become more active I volunteered to keep an eye out if no one else was interested.  In the message I received today it did not state what board I would be looking after.  I would assume its still the May 2014 board.  I can't see why the would leave me to look over something else but who knows.
    From what I read in KPs post is that you wouldn't be assigned to a specific board but that you, and all the other secret mods, would have the right to mod all boards.

And thanks for coming forward!
    I apologize...I was in the middle of writing my post when a bunch of others were posting including KP so I missed her response.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @itzMS When the May2014 started to become more active I volunteered to keep an eye out if no one else was interested.  In the message I received today it did not state what board I would be looking after.  I would assume its still the May 2014 board.  I can't see why they would leave me to look over something else but who knows.
    I was a co-mod of this board. I guess she didn't message me because I've expressed complaints over the handling of TK. Definitely no offense to you or the others that were messaged (and bribed), but it's apparent why they wanted this whole thing to be kept secret.
    Anniversary
  • Now TK has free 24/7 help looking out for spammers, and whatever else they they're directed to do. Wonder if they put power in a certain poster's hands recently, you know, the one who's been playing at being mod on Customs and Food and a few other places the past week. Are they rewarding argumentative behavior? What kind of boards/posting are they encouraging? We'll never know 'cuz it's a secret. Sure hope they chose one that has at least a junior high education in grammar and spelling.
    I see what you did there.

I should perhaps take part of the blame for this one, I did offer to make her a siggy badge for her mod campaign.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • KGs and the secret-mods-who-must-not-be-named, possibly?

• @Maggie0829 Don't you think they should send us (and any old mods that are still here) gift cards for sticking around after we got our pink slips and for our previous service?

Like I said before, I like gift cards.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Now TK has free 24/7 help looking out for spammers, and whatever else they they're directed to do. Wonder if they put power in a certain poster's hands recently, you know, the one who's been playing at being mod on Customs and Food and a few other places the past week. Are they rewarding argumentative behavior? What kind of boards/posting are they encouraging? We'll never know 'cuz it's a secret. Sure hope they chose one that has at least a junior high education in grammar and spelling.
    Wait, what? I had no idea there was a food board. My eyes must have skipped right over it.
    Wait, what? I had no idea there was a food board. My eyes must have skipped right over it.
    Yeah it is over in the Special Topic Wedding Board section

I just found it! I can't believe I missed the board where they talk about one of my favorite things about weddings.
  • @KnotPorscha I want to be on the super secret mod squad

At an airport and just busted laughing when I saw that... God job
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm curious to know if the KG really thought this secret team of elite posters was really going to remain secret.
    With the way TK is being reinvented, won't every topic board now be "special", with questions and answers being composed by "special people"?
  • ^We need a Speshul Snowflake forum. It can be titled "Unique Situations" or something.
  • I would LOVE to know what other forums have used this method and whether it's been successful for them.
  • I am so tempted to send my techie BF over here with a brand-spanking-new account. Dude's one of the savviest people I know. Turn him loose, he will fix your virus problem and tell you all the reasons that anon moderation is a bad idea. And he'll be a hell of a lot nicer about it than I am. (We do kind of play good-cop-bad-cop and he's definitely the good cop.)
  • ^We need a Speshul Snowflake forum. It can be titled "Unique Situations" or something.

"Exceptions to the Rules"?
  • I would LOVE to know what other forums have used this method and whether it's been successful for them.
    I imagine if such other forums existed, they were very short-lived.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • zobird said:
    ^We need a Speshul Snowflake forum. It can be titled "Unique Situations" or something.
    "Exceptions to the Rules"?
    The "This is MY WEDDING" forum.
  • I don't get how, if the KGs still have to review and act on *every single* report of TOS violations, that will reduce the amount of time they spend monitoring the boards.  We already report questionable posts to them. How is someone doing it anonymously any different?  They're doing the same thing, just with specific people reporting,  And, the rest of us will still be able to do it when mods are MIA. It just doesn't make sense.
  • I don't get how, if the KGs still have to review and act on *every single* report of TOS violations, that will reduce the amount of time they spend monitoring the boards.  We already report questionable posts to them. How is someone doing it anonymously any different?  They're doing the same thing, just with specific people reporting,  And, the rest of us will still be able to do it when mods are MIA. It just doesn't make sense.
    It won't. Not if they're doing their jobs. I'm starting to think they just don't want "the rabble" (ironically, the very people who spend a tremendous amount of time on these boards, generating the page views necessary for ad revenue to accumulate and keep The Knot in business) to have any say.

Huh... now I'm starting to wonder if this move is an purposely-generated conflict intended to boost chatter and increase page views. I mean, come on. They're getting rid of the people who know about Etiquette because they were posting factual information on the Etiquette boards, but the posters on the Etiquette boards forgot they were on the Etiquette boards and got mad about it. What reputable forum DOES something like that? 

I'm suddenly torn between believing TK administration is abysmally stupid or TK administration is darkly, cruelly clever.

Either way, what a joke.
  • @RebeccaB88 - Well, they won't have to look at all the reports, only those of the few hand picked members. The reports from the secret mods will be dealt with immediately. The rest will be put at the bottom of their list of things to do.

• @+misslisa, this is the administration that complained to us that her "girls" (aka employees) were having their spirits undermined by bullies. Give me a break!
  • Am I the only person that really just doesn't see how this is a big deal?  

I know of forums where anyone can send a "Mod Report" which basically sets up an item in the Moderation Queue for the Powerful Few to make rulings on. (For example, i'd put in "This violates the XYZ part of TOS, and it would include the link to the comment I reported, so the Mod could review it to see if they agreed).  However, I can see that being a very bad idea on this forum, just because of the fierce arguments that sprout on TK--I imagine that it would be abused frequently.  I see nothing wrong with the website looking for people that they think they can trust to do the same function.  If the Mods can't have eyes everywhere, then having some trusted people say "Here, this is worth your attention" seems like a good idea.  Then again, I"m reading this as the ability to put something in the queue, not actually doing any deleting / banning.  

Honestly, some of these reactions make it sound like you guys are in a gang, not an internet forum.  "Snitching"? "Witch hunt?"  "Bribery?"  If you don't break the TOS or the law, then it doesn't really matter who is looking around anyway...just like if you're not speeding, it doesn't matter that there's a speed trap on the highway.  

I'm of the opinion that this really doesn't matter.  There's the phrase "don't make a mountain out of a molehill"...I see this as like, an ant hill.   If the Knot thinks this will work, then I see no reason they shouldn't try to implement this.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards