Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Secret Mods?

Re: XP: Secret Mods?

• Am I the only person that really just doesn't see how this is a big deal?  

I know of forums where anyone can send a "Mod Report" which basically sets up an item in the Moderation Queue for the Powerful Few to make rulings on. (For example, i'd put in "This violates the XYZ part of TOS, and it would include the link to the comment I reported, so the Mod could review it to see if they agreed).  However, I can see that being a very bad idea on this forum, just because of the fierce arguments that sprout on TK--I imagine that it would be abused frequently.  I see nothing wrong with the website looking for people that they think they can trust to do the same function.  If the Mods can't have eyes everywhere, then having some trusted people say "Here, this is worth your attention" seems like a good idea.  Then again, I"m reading this as the ability to put something in the queue, not actually doing any deleting / banning.  

Honestly, some of these reactions make it sound like you guys are in a gang, not an internet forum.  "Snitching"? "Witch hunt?"  "Bribery?"  If you don't break the TOS or the law, then it doesn't really matter who is looking around anyway...just like if you're not speeding, it doesn't matter that there's a speed trap on the highway.  

I'm of the opinion that this really doesn't matter.  There's the phrase "don't make a mountain out of a molehill"...I see this as like, an ant hill.   If the Knot thinks this will work, then I see no reason they shouldn't try to implement this.  

Agreed.

I know of forums where anyone can send a "Mod Report" which basically sets up an item in the Moderation Queue for the Powerful Few to make rulings on. (For example, i'd put in "This violates the XYZ part of TOS, and it would include the link to the comment I reported, so the Mod could review it to see if they agreed).  However, I can see that being a very bad idea on this forum, just because of the fierce arguments that sprout on TK--I imagine that it would be abused frequently.  I see nothing wrong with the website looking for people that they think they can trust to do the same function.  If the Mods can't have eyes everywhere, then having some trusted people say "Here, this is worth your attention" seems like a good idea.  Then again, I"m reading this as the ability to put something in the queue, not actually doing any deleting / banning.  

Honestly, some of these reactions make it sound like you guys are in a gang, not an internet forum.  "Snitching"? "Witch hunt?"  "Bribery?"  If you don't break the TOS or the law, then it doesn't really matter who is looking around anyway...just like if you're not speeding, it doesn't matter that there's a speed trap on the highway.  

I'm of the opinion that this really doesn't matter.  There's the phrase "don't make a mountain out of a molehill"...I see this as like, an ant hill.   If the Knot thinks this will work, then I see no reason they shouldn't try to implement this.  

Do you lurk often? You certainly haven't posted a lot.

Given the way TK has ousted a few very loyal posters and treated several other loyal posters...it's certainly justified that those of us who post as regs here feel a little miffed.

Transparancy is key to a great community...not super secret crap that can and will lead to a bunch of finger pointing.

We already have that though. You say @knotporscha or @knotjackie - it's called paging. (BTW KP and KJ - do you guys have responses to any of the questions raised by the community?) They get paid to manage this forum. Having anonymous, unpaid (except for gift cards) users secretly moderate a forum is not a solution to fix this mismanagement.

I can only speak for myself here but the reason it's upsetting to me is because of the lack of transparency. We've asked a million times for clarifications on the TOS and not gotten clear answers. Warnings are handed out unfairly. Bannings have been administered unfairly and without warning. I am not confident that secret mods will be held accountable or report things fairly. They won't need to - how could anyone call them out? There WILL be crazy mods (Retread) and the community can't speak out without knowing who these people are.

@SilverSarahB and @GlassButton - you're right, if you're not "speeding" you have nothing to worry about. It's not ME or other posters I'm worried about. Even if there are mods, I can still page KP or KJ. I'm concerned that there's just no accountability and no transparency for secret mods.

And outside of all that it's a backwards and childish solution to a serious problem.
    *********************************************************************************

It is a big freaking deal! Everything was going good a few months ago, and then they decided to re-vamp a bunch of stuff and shit hit the fan. The TK Gods took away mods for whatever reason; and then they secretly asked 2 former members for their help regarding different situations. Then out of the flucking blue they got banned. Now they want people to be "real members" while modding. 99% of the old mods were awesome. I don't know why it needs to be a secret.

At the very least they could have made an announcement saying they were doing this, and not doing it in a sneaky way behind everyone's backs.

• Why is it "bribing" instead of "rewarding"?  What specifically makes the difference for everyone in this respect?  Why is this shady?  To me, it seems natural to reward people for doing something to help you.  The Knot may not be ready/able to give salaries to these trusted people, but I fail to see why it is shady to say "We might not be able to pay you, but we want to make you feel like you're appreciated and your work doesn't go unnoticed by giving you a perk."  

To me, it seems like an attempt to make a streamlined system.  PMs are a much less efficient system than just looking at the moderation queue.  Plus PMs are likely full of crap half the time...just like I mentioned with the problem with the open report system on this website with so much loathing going on for each other.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a large number of PMs end up being a great waste of time for the Mods, spending time reading up on squabbles being reported...time that can't be used on other posts that might be more pressing.  Then, people get upset that serious matters weren't being tended to when minor matters were...only because the minor matters ended up being reported first or more often.   This impending report structure sounds like it could be more effective if the people with the ability to add things to the queue are doing what is needed, helping prioritize the moderators time. 
  • Why is it "bribing" instead of "rewarding"?  What specifically makes the difference for everyone in this respect?  Why is this shady?  To me, it seems natural to reward people for doing something to help you.  The Knot may not be ready/able to give salaries to these trusted people, but I fail to see why it is shady to say "We might not be able to pay you, but we want to make you feel like you're appreciated and your work doesn't go unnoticed by giving you a perk."  

To me, it seems like an attempt to make a streamlined system.  PMs are a much less efficient system than just looking at the moderation queue.  Plus PMs are likely full of crap half the time...just like I mentioned with the problem with the open report system on this website with so much loathing going on for each other.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a large number of PMs end up being a great waste of time for the Mods, spending time reading up on squabbles being reported...time that can't be used on other posts that might be more pressing.  Then, people get upset that serious matters weren't being tended to when minor matters were...only because the minor matters ended up being reported first or more often.   This impending report structure sounds like it could be more effective if the people with the ability to add things to the queue are doing what is needed, helping prioritize the moderators time. 
    Most of what you're saying has value.... AND can be accomplished with public mods. In fact, it'd be much more efficient. What no one here understands is why they feel it needs to be done in secret. It doesn't. 

I totally think mods need to be brought back. Absolutely. I don't think many disagree with that. My issue is that there's no transparency or accountability if it's done in secret. And there's no good reason it needs to be. 
    *********************************************************************************

• SilverSarahBSilverSarahB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013
    vk2204 said:
    It is a big freaking deal! Everything was going good a few months ago, and then they decided to re-vamp a bunch of stuff and shit hit the fan. The TK Gods took away mods for whatever reason; and then they secretly asked 2 former members for their help regarding different situations. Then out of the flucking blue they got banned. Now they want people to be "real members" while modding. 99% of the old mods were awesome. I don't know why it needs to be a secret.

At the very least they could have made an announcement saying they were doing this, and not doing it in a sneaky way behind everyone's backs.

When I read this, I only see that (collective) you are upset that there are any changes at all.  I get this all the time--when I make a change to my department, I get crap from a hundred different directions.  But ultimately, I made the change because I think the change was needed.  I don't see "We didn't used to have this problem" as being a real answer to why this is such a big deal.   I've been on these boards for quite a while (I got engaged almost 2 years ago, and I think started poking around here a year ago) and I certainly didn't think this board was sunshine and roses when I joined, and at no point have I thought that this community was a highly successful community.  I don't really know enough about the whole context to know about this "few months ago everything changed" situation, but from my personal work history it just sounds like long time people are upset that anything is changing at all.  It's like every time facebook changes their format. 

Again, from what has been said on this thread, these "secret mods" are looking to be something like a first responding alert.  They don't ban anyone or go around deleting things, they just put stuff into the system to let the way-high-up paid-to-do-this people are spending their time in a more useful fashion.   

Edited : With the thread going in a new direction, I will add this instead of deleting my prior comment. 

I do remember people having "Moderator" under their username.  I just don't remember it being much more or less efficient than what it is now.  

Ultimately, it sounds like this is the same thing, TK "Gods" having the power to do all moderation.  There are just some people that help call items to their attention immediately, with a higher priority than a PM inbox that undoubtedly gets into the hundreds.   This system could even work WITH public moderators.
  •  

vk2204 said:
    It is a big freaking deal! Everything was going good a few months ago, and then they decided to re-vamp a bunch of stuff and shit hit the fan. The TK Gods took away mods for whatever reason; and then they secretly asked 2 former members for their help regarding different situations. Then out of the flucking blue they got banned. Now they want people to be "real members" while modding. 99% of the old mods were awesome. I don't know why it needs to be a secret.

When I read this, I only see that (collective) you are upset that there are any changes at all.  I get this all the time--when I make a change to my department, I get crap from a hundred different directions.  But ultimately, I made the change because I think the change was needed.  I don't see "We didn't used to have this problem" as being a real answer to why this is such a big deal.   I've been on these boards for quite a while (I got engaged almost 2 years ago, and I think started poking around here a year ago) and I certainly didn't think this board was sunshine and roses when I joined, and at no point have I thought that this community was a highly successful community.  I don't really know enough about the whole context to know about this "few months ago everything changed" situation, but from my personal work history it just sounds like long time people are upset that anything is changing at all.  It's like every time facebook changes their format. 

Again, from what has been said on this thread, these "secret mods" are looking to be something like a first responding alert.  They don't ban anyone or go around deleting things, they just put stuff into the system to let the way-high-up paid-to-do-this people are spending their time in a more useful fashion.   

But this is a responsiblity already of members here. If we see spam or issues, we page @knotporscha and @knotjackie or PM them.

Why do they have to bribe people to do it? Why not just have seasoned TK posters moderate in a fair and transparent way?

Aside: Sarah, I'm confused as to why you're so invested in this topic when you've posted here all of 150 times over your years of lurking. If you were an active poster, you'd understand. Trust me on this.

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013

Edited : While I was constructing this reply, many others posted taking the discussion in a new direction.  I have deleted my initial response to go along with the more updated info.

I do remember people having "Moderator" under their username.  I just don't remember it being much more or less efficient than what it is now.  

Ultimately, it sounds like this is the same thing, TK "Gods" having the power to do all moderation.  There are just some people that help call items to their attention immediately, with a higher priority than a PM inbox that undoubtedly gets into the hundreds.   This system could even work WITH public moderators.

Read it again.

"We removed moderators a few months back and have come to the realization that we need help! Our mistake, and we’re owning that!

That’s where you come in, if you accept. We’ve handpicked you for the opportunity to secretly moderate our forums as we continue to improve the community. 

Why secretly? Well, not everyone loves moderators, so we’re giving you the opportunity to enforce the rules and keep things cool while still being a “regular” user. There’s no moderation badge this time to show off to other members or assigned boards at the moment. But we will reward your efforts (who likes gift cards?!).

The role details are still being worked on, but we wanted to tap you and see if you’d be interested in moderating."

Where does it say to be a 'first responder'? It says be secret police and enforce the rules. That's it.

ETA: I don't know why it didn't quote all of what you wrote.

• Sure, but because no one knows who to go to with a problem, TK gods are still going to be paged all the time. When there were public mods everyone knew who to PM or page about an issue. Now that the mods are secret, it will just double the amount of stuff for TK gods to sort through, one set of reports from the secret mods, and another set from regular members who can't see that all that stuff has already been sent to the mod queue.

I see it as cutting it in half.  With the big stuff out of the way, the major players can go to the PMs and immediately delete a bunch of requests they've already taken care of.  That leaves only the lower-priority items.  So if several people PMed about X thread, but they just took care of that problem this morning, those are all PMs that can be deleted.  
  • My problem is that the people who are being asked are people with very few posts.  They can still be the ones running to KGs about a problem when it's not a TOS violation or when they get their feelings hurt. 

• Wait, you can delete PMs? Someone let me in on this secret!

To the bolded: TK already had people that did this for FREE!  There was never a salary or even the offer of gift cards for the old Mods.  And they kept this place in much better shape than how its run now.  Spam was deleted immediately and other TOS violations were addressed quickly as well.  As long as a board had an active Mod, there were no issues.  Instead of getting rid of all the Mods, they should have added active Mods to the boards where the Mod fell off the face of the earth.  TG realized they have screwed up and each time they try to make "improvements", they fail miserably and are worse than the last idea!

• It's the TK SS!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• This all started with miscommunications.  Perhaps TK should have put out a PSA to feel members out on this idea or just notified us that these changes were happening.  It's not just about what they did, but how they went about it that isn't sitting right with most people.

Old mods were never rewarded.  When I first volunteered to over see the May2014 I didn't do so because I wanted to be rewarded.  I did it because I feel I should give back to something that gave so much to me.  To tell me I'm a "secret mod" and I will be "rewarded" behind everyone's backs makes that sneaky and not right.  And essential a bribe in my book.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oliveoilsmom said it perfectly: "TG realized they have screwed up and each time they try to make "improvements", they fail miserably and are worse than the last idea!" This is so true. It just gets worse and worse. They broke something that was working pretty well. How do they fix it? By having their secret police snark around and calling out people they just don't like.
  • I think we may have uncovered someone who got the secret email and said yes...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So, @SarahSilverB is part of Umbridge's Inquisitional Squad?
    Tell me, any one...

Why would it be beneficial to the forum to have the moderators be secret when we know you exist?

How is this any different than having public moderators?

How is this any different from having a Report function?

Did the KG really hope to keep this all a secret and what were their plans for when this secret got out?
  • Where the hell did my post go?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I keep seeing that there are replies on this thread, and I see on the main page who wrote it, but in the three seconds it takes me to click the thread, the replies are already gone. Yours was one I missed, HobokenBride2012.

I sincerely hope that this is just an unfortunate glitch.

• I posted too and something happened to it...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Waaaait are post getting deleted? It's not a glitch. It's gotta be a KG or one of the new members of the Inquisitional Squad. No way is it a glitch and they better not try to say it is.
  • @SilverSarahB - Were YOU recruited to be a secret mod? Don't be shy now. 

• Swazzle said:

@SilverSarahB - Were YOU recruited to be a secret mod? Don't be shy now. 

I asked the same question and my post got deleted.
  • Huh. My posts have been reasonably inflammatory (but totally right, obvy!) and they're still here. If someone's boarded the crazy train and is deleting posts, they sure have a weird, scatter-shot way of doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards