Jewish Weddings

timing of the ketubah signing/bedeken/first look?

Hi everyone! 

I need some advice on how to fit in the ketubah signing/bedeken along with all the photographs that will be taken the day of the wedding? I really like the idea of the traditional "first look" photo, but my fiance is a bit traditional and originally thought that he would first see me at the ketubah signing and bedeken. We both want to enjoy at least part of cocktail hour after the yihud, so we don't want to do all the group pictures at that time. 

How are you all planning the day of schedule? My mom suggested having the photographer do all the bride and groom family/bridal party shots separately, then have that "first look" photo at the ketubah signing, and then the entire group photos quickly after the yihud (our cocktail hour is going to be a literal hour - is that enough time to have the yihud, some pictures, and get to mingle with our guests?)

Also, how long did the ketubah signing and bedeken take for you all?

Thanks! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: timing of the ketubah signing/bedeken/first look?

• We did our first look before the bedeken and ketubah signing.  (And we did immediate family pictures right after the first look, which was a good way to assemble the people we wanted at the ketubah signing).  I preferred to have the first time we saw each other be in private, rather than with our families.  I think we allotted about 45 minutes for the ketubah signing and bedeken.  We also signed our state marriage license with the ketubah.  We had a Conservative-leaning ceremony (our cantor is technically unaffiliated, I think).  
  • I'm having an interfaith wedding (mostly Jewish), but my plan is to do the ketubah signing and the first look together... perhaps have him face away from wherever I'm entering from, so I can tap him on the shoulder to turn around. 
  • I'm planning on having all the family/bridal party photos taken separately before the ketubah/bedeken then after the ceremony and yichud, taking all the group photos as well as photos of just the two of us.

Honestly, I don't think you are going to have enough time to do the yichud, photos, and attend the cocktail party. You don't want to be rushed taking photos and they always end up taking much longer than originally anticipated and you're already down to only 50 minutes, since the yichud is going to be about 10 minutes. Your best bet is to mingle with guests during the reception. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • casey8784 said:
    Hi everyone! 

I need some advice on how to fit in the ketubah signing/bedeken along with all the photographs that will be taken the day of the wedding? I really like the idea of the traditional "first look" photo, but my fiance is a bit traditional and originally thought that he would first see me at the ketubah signing and bedeken. We both want to enjoy at least part of cocktail hour after the yihud, so we don't want to do all the group pictures at that time. 

How are you all planning the day of schedule? My mom suggested having the photographer do all the bride and groom family/bridal party shots separately, then have that "first look" photo at the ketubah signing, and then the entire group photos quickly after the yihud (our cocktail hour is going to be a literal hour - is that enough time to have the yihud, some pictures, and get to mingle with our guests?)

Also, how long did the ketubah signing and bedeken take for you all?

Thanks! :)
    I think you'll need to wait until the reception to do mingling with your guests-which is what the reception is for anyway.  The yihud should overlap it, and you can eat then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards