Not Engaged Yet

So how was your weekend?

Mine was all right. Friday night we went to BWW. Apps, wings, and beer were had, and we watched the Seahawks-Packers game. BF passed out in food-and-booze coma when we got home - it was glorious.

Saturday we kind of had to take it easy because I was a wee bit hung over. I didn't get the laundry I wanted done, but the housework is at least acceptable until Thursday or so.

Yesterday was draft for fantasy football. And because I know you all care so much [/sarcasm], here's my team:

QB Matt Ryan RB Marshawn Lynch RB Steven Jackson FLEX Reggie Bush WR Brandon Marshall WR Wes Welker TE Owen Daniels D/ST Steelers K Randy Bullock
BE Pierre Garcon BE Hakeem Nicks BE Vick Ballard BE Greg Jennings BE Zac Stacy BE Matt Schaub BE Jacquizz Rodgers

ESPN, 10-team league, standard scoring. At least I have depth at WR and there's not much depth to be had at RB this year. They'd better not go down.

Then I knitted because it was way too hot to do laundry. Gonna be way too hot to do laundry today too but I have to because I'm out of clothing.

Tell me! What did you do?

Re: So how was your weekend?

• I hear you, I didn't get any housework done other than the dishes. 

Friday- I had to work late.

Saturday- More work but then H and I went for a dinner firework cruise around the city of Chicago which was really romantic.  :)

Sunday- Work plus a friend's baby shower.

I feel like I didn't have much of a weekend with all the work I had to fit in but, what can you do?

• Yay for food coma heaven! Sounds like an awesome weekend, Stitches.

This weekend was the bomb diggity on my end. Friday I worked my night shift. It was incredibly slow all night, but it was much easier to stay awake than I thought it would be. Overall, I could do it again, so that's cool.

Saturday, I slept after work, then went over to BF's house. He had had a crappy day, so we figuratively licked each other's wounds and watched TV and were general bums.

Sunday was great. BF and I went trap-shooting. I am such a beginner and his guns are all basically way too big for me, but these little trips have been pretty fun, so someday I may invest in something that fits me better. I did all right (for absolutely sucking, I mean), but BF was awesome! Then we went home, ate some amazing fried chicken from a local place, and flipped between Duck Dynasty and Save The Last Dance (weird combination, I know!).

The only downsides to this weekend were:
    1) I am aching all over from operating BF's clay thrower (??? I have no idea if that's what it's called). That thing is the best arms and thigh work-out ever.
    2) I got nothing done in terms of housework or school, and this week is already super-busy. So time to get off TK and be productive.
  • I, too, did zero housework this weekend. 

Friday, I went bar-hopping with some girlfriends. H was also in the city so when my friends were heading more uptown, I hopped in a cab and headed downtown to meet up with him and his friends. 

Saturday, I nursed my hangover pretty much all day. That night, H and I walked around the mall and then went to the movies. 

Yesterday, we were pretty lazy again. We continued our Sopranos marathon and then went to a big skateboarding competition last night. I watched the VMAs when I got home. 

I can't wait to get home from work and watch Dexter and Big Brother. I hate not watching them live!

• My weekend wasn't too exciting. BF came up to visit but we couldn't do a lot because of my foot. But we did get my ring finger sized! Yay!

• Yay! Got ideas for what you'd prefer, @bethsmiles? (I feed the BSC monster, but only briefly.)
  • Oooo - I ate way too much food this weekend (I called it our last "hurrah" before buckling down) - the amazing Hot Doug's on Saturday, then out to celebrate my godson's birthday Saturday-Sunday (which means MORE amazing food from my cousin).  Definitely food coma heaven.

@bethsmiles, what happened to your foot?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @bethsmiles squeeeeee! That is exciting :)
  • edited August 2013
    Hey all!

My weekend started off okay, but took a turn :-( BF headed upstate on Saturday morning for his fantasy football draft/party. I spent much of the day recovering from a hangover after partying a little too hard at a get-together in the city on Friday night. Later in the afternoon, I took Kaya, the pup, to the "nice" dog park about 25 minutes away - she had a blast and she was nice and tired by the time we left. Sunday morning I finally met the girl I'll be babysitting/tutoring, and although it was an odd visit (that's worthy of its own post) - she seems like a really great girl and I'm looking forward to getting to know her.

Once I got back home around 2pm, I made myself some lunch and then took Kaya back to the "nice" dog park. We were there for about an hour, and were in the "big" dog area where she usually plays (I let her in there as long as all the other dogs seem nice). There were about 10 dogs, most of them were small or medium sized, but she played with everyone just fine. Then this dark brown golden retriever mix came in. I know that dog because one time when Kaya was just a little puppy, she was playing with him (AFTER I asked the owner if his dog was okay playing with little dogs), when he flipped her onto her back and held her down, she screamed like he was ripping her apart but there was no damage, she just got scared I think. Anyways, as soon as I saw that dog I knew it was time to leave, we had been there for an hour already anyway. I stood up and got out her leash and started trying to catcher her - which wasn't easy since she was playing with two other dogs at the time. I must have looked away for a second because I didn't see it happen but the next thing I knew that brown dog, Tucker, was on top of Kaya and she was screaming. I didn't panic because she's a shiba inue and they'll scream like that if they're scared, and she's done it plenty of times before over little things and has never been hurt, so I pushed that dog off of Kaya - luckily I wasn't bit - and picked her up. She continued screaming for another minute or so while I tried to calm her down. 

Once she stopped screaming, I walked her towards the exit and another women who was there went "Oh my god, she's bleeding!" I looked down and noticed there was blood all over my hand and dripping onto my bag. I quickly got her outside the gate of the park and sat down before I could faint (I regularly faint at the sight of blood). Two women came out to help me and got wet towels to wipe her down. We quickly determined she had a small bite wound on the underside of her chin - kind of right where the jaw becomes the neck. It didn't look too bad, but it was hard to tell because she's furry there. After holding towels on it for a few minutes it seemed like the bleeding had slowed or stopped. I got into my car and googled the closest emergency vet clinic and took her in.

Luckily, she didn't need any stitches, but the vet said it was a "full-thickness bite" - which I assume means it was the full thickness of the other dog's tooth. They had to bring her into the back and shave the area and thoroughly clean & disinfect it. They gave me week's worth of pain meds for her and 10 days of antibiotics, but warned that it could still get infected since they need to leave it exposed so it could drain and heal. They also told me I should make an appointment with her regular vet in about a week to ensure it's healing okay.

I feel so terrible that I let this happen - I should have gotten her out of there the SECOND that other dog came in. If we had just left a few minutes sooner, none of this would have happened. I couldn't sleep all last night because I'm worried she's going to scratch at it and make it worse. 

I'm also pissed off at that guy who brought the dog that hurt her to the park. He yelled at his dog when he first came in and his dog went over to another dog - now I think he was worried his dog was going to start a fight. His dog doesn't play with other dogs at all, just walks around by himself. I made sure to get the guy's phone number, but I don't know if I should bother calling him about my $200 vet bill (not even including the follow-up appointment we need). Mostly I'm just relieved it wasn't worse - especially since the bite was right near her neck. Would you ask the other owner for any money towards the vet bills, or just be happy it wasn't more serious than that?

::In brief:: Another dog bit mine at the dog park yesterday, she was bleeding and our vet bill cost $200, and we still need to schedule (and pay for) a follow-up visit. She'll be fine as long as there is no infection. Would you ask the other owner for money, or just be happy it wasn't worse?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hummingbird125, that is AWFUL!  Does the other dog's owner seem like a stand-up guy, or like someone who you would be a little afraid of?  That's what would make my decision... sometimes, if the person can be somewhat nutso, I would rather just suck it up and not have to deal with the drama that comes along with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    @hummingbird125 that sucks! So sorry that happened to you and Kaya. :( I honestly don't know what I would do regarding the vet bills but I do know that I would want to know what he's going to do now that this has come up twice. His dog doesn't seem safe around others at all.
  • @hummingbird125 I'm sorry that happened! That's why I hesitate to bring my dog to a dog park. I would love for him to get socialized with other dogs, but we're doing that with people that we know and their dogs, I just wouldn't feel right if he was playing with stranger's dogs, I hope Kaya feels better!

Friday night we went grocery shopping and had Arby's for dinner. I didn't feel like cooking and it's down the street from Big Y. Then I put together a towel cake for my friend's Jack & Jill shower and I'm SO FREAKING PISSED I never took a picture. It looked so good.

Saturday I went to the mall since I realized I was wearing shitty ON flip flops with my sundress so I treated myself to a new pair of sandals which were really cute! I could've bought more shoes, I have a problem with NOT spending money at Aldo.

After that, I arrived to my friend's (the bride) mom's house to help set up for the shower. Well, come to find out from the other BM and another friend that was organizing the shower, the bride's mom was just going out now to buy food...we call her and she tells us the chairs and tables are in the garage. 25 people RSVPed to the party and there were 2 tables and 3 chairs...luckily everyone pulled their resources together and we got enough chairs and tables for everyone. The party was a success for the bride and BF and I snuck out early because I was just done with any WR stuff that day. We got home, changed and went to his old roommate's house to let Quigley play with their new puppy (Bluetick Coonhound) they got along pretty well.

Sunday, I made BF a huge breakfast, then our neighbor came over to play Xbox with BF. I went to BBB to return some stuff, came back home and brought Quigley to PetSmart. I bought him a ton of toys and his Halloween costume (he's going to be a penguin). When I got home BF and the neighbor were still playing Xbox. I think the neighbor left at like 6pm or so. Then BF and I had dinner, watched Big Brother and went to bed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @bethsmiles - YAY!!! I'm so excited for you! 

@Hummingbird125 - That's so scary. Lucy has been "beat up" at the dog park but it was always a smaller dog (French Bulldogs in particular) and she was never injured. She did get a bite on the nose by a small, Bijon-looking dog once outside of our apartment but there was no blood and the owner was extremely apologetic.

• @KateJ16 - I slipped and fell and bruised the bone. I'm just glad I didn't break it!

• @bethsmiles - that stinks!  Hopefully it doesn't take too long to heal.  And how exciting, getting your finger sized!  When my BF and I were talking about it I was such a dork about it - I printed off an online ring sizer you could make out of paper and did it a work!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hummingbird125 - Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about you and Kaya (beautiful name, by the way). My decision would depend on the attitude of the other dog owner - if he didn't seem like he was psycho, I would call him and at least find out what he was going to do about his dog. If he was halfway decent, he probably would offer to pay your dog's vet bills.
  • @Hummingbird125 - I'm so sorry that happened.  Accidents certainly happen all the time at dog parks.  Personally, I'd just be grateful it wasn't worse and let it go (but I would call the dog owner to let him know that your dog was bitten and did have to be taken to an emergency vet, if he doesn't know already...as a dog owner, I would want to know if my dog bit another dog).  This isn't your fault...a dog fight can start and stop in a matter of seconds.
  • @KeptIn Stitches- I like that you chose Matt Ryan as your QB, I'm hoping the Falcons pull through again this year. I don't do Fantasy Football but FI used to so I'll have to let you know if y'all have any similar players.

My weekend was pretty chill. Friday we went to this new brewery which was pretty awesome, it's only a few months old and their IPA was awesome! Then we went to whirly ball which basically dominated me. I sucked at it but FI was really good so I enjoyed watching him play.

Saturday I got my Brazilian wax and I forgot how much that actually hurts. I wanted to cry. Afterwards I went shopping with my mom and bought a couple dresses for upcoming showers next month. Then that night FI and I stayed in and watched movies. It was a nice night.

Sunday was same old routine...church and braving the Grocery Store with all the other Sunday shoppers. I need to pick a new day to go to the grocery store.
  • @southernpeach89 - I'm looking forward to knowing what players your FI gets! I have a few more Falcons players - here's to Matt Ryan tossing TD's to Steven Jackson.
  • Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to leave it up to BF about calling the other owner. I doubt he'll offer to pay - after I asked for his phone number he insisted on coming over to look at Kaya's wound for himself, which was unnecessary. He also asked if I was "sure" it was his dog who did it, since he said he didn't see anything. Every other person in the dog park saw it happen, so I don't know how he could have claimed to miss it.

@buddysmom80 - Overall, I still think dog parks are worthwhile, but you're right, you do need to be really careful. Kaya's breed can tend to be dog-aggressive, and we wanted to make sure to nip that in the bud. We've been taking her to dog parks since she was 4 months old, and she couldn't be friendlier to other dogs and people. We also don't have any friends or family with friendly dogs in the area, otherwise we wouldn't have had to rely on the parks so much for socialization. For the future, I'm going to keep her with small dogs unless I'm 100% positive I can trust every bigger dog in the area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @Hummingbird125 - Do you have any dog daycares in your area?  A play day might be fun and an easier way to socialize her with dogs in a supervised way (just make sure the daycare does a temperment test on the dogs they have at the daycare).  Our dog has been going to daycare since he was fully vaccinated and I think it helped a lot with his socialization skills (though he's still a nut case).
  • @bethsmiles - Wow! You've got to be super excited now!

@Hummingbird125 - Jeez, it is the scariest thing ever when your dog screams like that. Unfortunately the dog park is not always the safest place. My dog (Cookie, a 12 year old Shih-tzu) only gets to go when I am taking care of my mom's dog, a 3 year old chocolate lab named Amber. Cookie will ignore all of the other dogs, but if any of them start to give her grief Amber is racing towards them and stepping between. Not aggressive, but she does bark a few times and growl until they go away. It is really nice to know that the dogs have each others backs because Cookie does the same thing and barks if Amber is in trouble so that I can intervene.

My weekend-
    Friday- Spent the day with my BF. I worked then after I watched movies and had drinks with BF and friends
    Saturday- I worked all day and then scrubbed my bathroom and got coffee with my mom
    Sunday- Worked all day and then spent a bit bothering BF at work (he enjoyed it :-P), got ice cream with a friend, and then did a quick work out session with my roommate (mostly stretching since I was sore).
  • @bethsmiles - Wow! You've got to be super excited now!

@Hummingbird125 - Jeez, it is the scariest thing ever when your dog screams like that. Unfortunately the dog park is not always the safest place. My dog (Cookie, a 12 year old Shih-tzu) only gets to go when I am taking care of my mom's dog, a 3 year old chocolate lab named Amber. Cookie will ignore all of the other dogs, but if any of them start to give her grief Amber is racing towards them and stepping between. Not aggressive, but she does bark a few times and growl until they go away. It is really nice to know that the dogs have each others backs because Cookie does the same thing and barks if Amber is in trouble so that I can intervene.

My weekend-
    Friday- Spent the day with my BF. I worked then after I watched movies and had drinks with BF and friends
    Saturday- I worked all day and then scrubbed my bathroom and got coffee with my mom
    Sunday- Worked all day and then spent a bit bothering BF at work (he enjoyed it :-P), got ice cream with a friend, and then did a quick work out session with my roommate (mostly stretching since I was sore).
  • I slept all day Saturday (GO ME), and didn't get any studying done. Good news is that my practice quals went all right today, at least because they taught me HOW to study the rest of the week. Woo.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • My weekend was pretty cool besides the fact that i slept through most of it.

Saturday - Worked all day , went to my BF sister birthday cookout (slept through most of it) idk why her cookouts can NEVER start on time (LoL). Came home put the princess to bed. Cleaned up with BF and watched some type of crime show until well fell asleep. (who goes to sleep at a cookout anyway, smh)

Sunday- Made breakfast, watched a bit of tv. played on my phone (instagram, twitter, facebook) took a nap, cleaned up, BF made Lasagna for dinner, cleaned up, then went to bed.

Monday -Back to work!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards