Wisconsin
Options

help with officiant!

Soooo...we are getting married this October at the Milwaukee War Memorial. My FI's "friend" tol us last July that he would marry us. I have only met this guy once and he also married FI's sister at a simple ceremony at her house (I wasn't there). I asked FI to email  this friend. He hasn't got back to FI about marrying us and seems to be fllighty....Soooo, my question is.....I know that my friend Sarah would marry us if I asked. She lives in Michigan. Does Wisconsin accept people who are "ordained online" to marry us? If so, do you know of how I would go about finding more info about this?  I just want to have an officiant set in stone since the date is fast approaching and FI's "friend" doesn't seem reliable. TIA!

Re: help with officiant!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The do, but there are some requirements... Such as must have the paper certificate, and sometimes a letter of good standing, and they usually have to register with the county prior to the ceremony, so just check with your county courthouse/clerk!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They do, however, we ran into one problem.

If they are from out of state (not a resident in WI), they will need a sponsorship letter from someone of the same denomination that IS a WI resident.

We were going to have a friend marry us, but he's from MN and we were having a horrible time locating someone to write the letter that is needed.  So, my mom who does live in WI just got ordained online! They will  both help us with the ceremony.

Check with your county for specific rules.  

Experienced infertility during first marriage, diagnosed with PCOS in 2008.
    Married my amazing husband May 22, 2010
    Became Step-Mom to 2 boys.
    Husband had vasectomy in 2004 during first marriage.

Adoption Is Our Path!
    Application sent March 29, 2011 First Meeting with CW: April 25, 2011 Final Visit and home visit: August 16, 2011
    September, 2011 - told we are ready to be considered by birth parents. Officially WAITING!

Spring of 2012, we start to work with a Consultant and apply with a few agencies around the US

June 2012 - we are MATCHED
    July 25, 2012 - Our SON was born in Arizona
    August 8th, 2012 - we flew home with our baby
    Awaiting Finalization

My Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards