Not Engaged Yet

Work-Out Tips for an Injured Foot

So as most of you know I injured my foot last week. I'm most upset about this because I had an awesome work-out scheduled planned out around my school and work schedule and now I'm not really sure what I can do in the gym. I was even going to start a kick-boxing class but now I'm not so sure that's a great idea. The bone is only bruised so I supposed I could just work through the pain and take my pain meds to get through it but I really don't think that's a great idea.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone on here had injured their foot and come up with some work-out routines to work around the injury in a safe and healthy way?

Re: Work-Out Tips for an Injured Foot

• I haven't had to work out with an injured foot, but I have had to deal with swollen post-surgery calves. If you're going to do any exercising, I'd do a pre- and post-workout care routine.

For my calves, I would heat them prior to running (to loosen up the muscle) and then ice for a solid 20 minutes per calf afterwards.

In your case, I'd definitely ice the heck outta your foot after workouts!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I don't recommend working on on an injured anything! I live for my workout and would hate to miss a run but I know that an injury made worse will only keep me sidelined longer.  Focus on upper body resistance and ab. work that does not stress your foot.  Take the time to heal before you end up limping down the aisle.
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    My first thought was the rowing machine. If that doesn't put too much pressure on your foot, you can definitely get a good workout from it. Also, try swimming. You can use a floatie between your thighs to focus on your arms and cardio.

ETA: Sorry to hear about your foot. Being injured sucks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Can you lift at least (bench presses, arm curls)?  Crunches, Russian twists, side planks for the side with your non-injured foot?  I'm sorry to hear about your foot...that really sucks.
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies! Swimming seems the ideal option but I think  my gym has a rowing machine so maybe I'll give that a try too!

• I have no idea what this thing is called and I'm pretty bad at describing it, but there's a machine at my gym that you can use to do cardio without using your legs. Basically, there are two "pedals" that you rotate with your arms to get your heart rate up. I mostly see people with injuries or elderly people using it.
    I had to use that machine when I dislocated my shoulder. Fun times.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• You could also do some core work. Sit ups and any variation thereof (twisting, obliques etc.), plank from your knees (that'll get your heart rate up), superman/banana rolls and whatever else google/pinterest comes up with for core. I have had a toe injury for almost 8 weeks and I haven't done a damn thing to work out, so good for you to stay motivated! 
  • Building on cschiano's idea of core work, you can do a lot of mat Pilates moves and stay off your feet.
  • @cshiano - that's a great idea. I usually focus all of my work-outs on cardio so it didn't really occur to me to just shift my focus!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards