Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Would you rather - Pasta vs Potato

We are picking five stations for dinner and we have four. We are stuck between these two for the fifth.

Would you rather have a pasta station or potato bar?

Pasta station includes - Orecchiette, broccoli rabe, & garlic white wine reduction, Braised short rib gnocchi, Bruschetta and focaccia.

Potato Bar- Rosemary roasted red bliss and Scallion mashed potatoes. Has all the toppings including sour cream, gravy, bacon and blue cheese.

The other four stations we have picked are a garden greens station, a soup station, a carving beef station and a turkey station.

Re: Would you rather - Pasta vs Potato

• We are picking five stations for dinner and we have four. We are stuck between these two for the fifth.

Would you rather have a pasta station or potato bar?

Pasta station includes - Orecchiette, broccoli rabe, & garlic white wine reduction, Braised short rib gnocchi, Bruschetta and focaccia.

Potato Bar- Rosemary roasted red bliss and Scallion mashed potatoes. Has all the toppings including sour cream, gravy, bacon and blue cheese.

The other four stations we have picked are a garden greens station, a soup station, a carving beef station and a turkey station.

Mashed potatoes.
  • I've never had hot, or even warm, mashed potatoes at a bar or station, but would go that route if your caterer had a way to guarantee it. Otherwise, I love pasta, too.
  • Potato. But the pasta sounds good too. Pasta might be better for your vegetarian guests?
    But. Potato. Love starch. 

Anniversary
  • I would do pasta to get something a little more entree-like for vegetarians.  
  • Because of  what is at the other stations, potato sounds like the better option.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I can't eat gluten, so I'd prefer the potato bar.
  • As some others said, I think it would depend on the diets of your friends or family that are invited. I have a lot of vegetarian friends who would prefer the pasta as they could make it a meal, but I also have a few friend with Celiac (sp?) who can't have gluten and would prefer potatoes (although it sounds like if the turkey and other meats at the carving station don't have fillers, they would be able to eat that). If you have very few or no friends who are gluten or meat free... go with your gut. My gut would tell me pasta!
  • I'm a self declared pastavore, so I say pasta all the way :-)
  • We had both, but had the potato bar for the cocktail hour and the pasta station as part of dinner.  Pasta is more substantial- potatoes are more of a side or an app.  

If you don't have any vegetarian options for dinner, I'd go for the pasta station because it would be a substantial entree.  Otherwise, my guests couldn't stop raving about the mashed potato station and how cool it was- I saw a bunch of people going back for thirds.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Pasta - I'm a freak who doesn't really like potatoes
  • Thanks for answering! If it was up to me, it would be potatoes all the time. I think we are having no more than three vegetarians but a lot of gluten free guests. I guess we have to talk to the caterer about it.
  • If you have a lot of gluten free people Id say that tips it to potatoes. But otherwise I'd say pasta all the way!
  • With your four other stations, I'd go potato bar. You need a side.
    *********************************************************************************

• I vote for both! LOL!  But then again I am a starch/carb lover.  And am I the only one who considers a pasta dish a side dish?  I mean, unless you will be serving a huge bowl to your guests pasta could be considered a side.

• Maggie I totally think pasta is a side dish :) I would vote for the potatoes though just because I think it goes better with your other stations.
  • I might end up doing both stations because I really want the potatoes and FI really wants the pasta. You can see why we are stuck.

Another question- I just found out the beef carving station is roast beef.  Now, I am not a meat eater (just an occasional Five Guys Burger) but I am worried that it isn't fancy enough. To me, roast beef is something we have for dinner as kids. Please tell me that roast beef is fine at a wedding.

• I might end up doing both stations because I really want the potatoes and FI really wants the pasta. You can see why we are stuck.

Another question- I just found out the beef carving station is roast beef.  Now, I am not a meat eater (just an occasional Five Guys Burger) but I am worried that it isn't fancy enough. To me, roast beef is something we have for dinner as kids. Please tell me that roast beef is fine at a wedding.

So long as they're carving an actual roast, and not a composite deli meat type loaf (think fast food roast beef sandwich), you're absolutely fine!

Sounds tasty to me.

• I would go with potato, mostly because I have yet to have a decent pasta buffet. It's always cold, or soggy, or dry, or drenched in oil, or all of the above. 

As for roast beef, it's totally fine and the 'norm' for a carving station. It might be strange if you were having a black tie event, but it's certainly fancy enough to go along with a turkey carving station. 
  • I agree with itzMS.  As long as it is an actual roast I would be a happy camper and most likely park my seat between the roast beef station, pasta station and potato station :)

• Roast beef is literally my favorite thing at weddings.  When I see it, I park myself in front of it.  Sounds awesome with a potato bar!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would say potato. Unless the pasta option is mac-n-cheese. I am having a mac-n-cheese station where it will be served in martini glasses and is all made to order with different mix-ins at my reception. I am super excited about it! I love mac-n-cheese.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. For some reason, I just didn't picture having roast beef at my wedding, however, if it tastes good, then I am fine with it. I guess I shouldn't focus on how fancy the food is, just how tasty it is.

MDbride1012-I am trying to talk them into adding a truffled mac and cheese for the pasta station. That is literally my favorite dish ever (and I am not a big pasta person).

Also- Fi and I talked yesterday and we are adding both a potato and pasta bar. I had a bad day yesterday so I wonder if he was trying to make me feel better by agreeing to both.

• I would say potato. Unless the pasta option is mac-n-cheese. I am having a mac-n-cheese station where it will be served in martini glasses and is all made to order with different mix-ins at my reception. I am super excited about it! I love mac-n-cheese.
    I love mac and cheese too! So much so that we had our caterer add a special plate to cocktail hour that had a slider (for DH) and smoked gouda mac and cheese (for me). Everyone who knew us knew that this was basically the bride and groom on a plate :-)
  • Love the potato bar idea, but I think pasta is more of a common item people look for. 
  • potato bar! sounds delish
  • I like going to events with the cute mashed potato bar.  They put a scoop in a martini glass and then you can put whatever on it.  One of the most disappointing meals I've ever had at a wedding was a pasta station.  The pasta was so overdone and squishy from sitting.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards