Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Garter and Bouquet Toss.... What comes first?

I could have sworn I always see the bouquet toss first, but my DJ INSISTS that the garter toss is first. Does anyone know?! lol

Anniversary

Re: Garter and Bouquet Toss.... What comes first?

• I'm with you - I've always seen the bouquet toss first.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm not really sure why it matters, since neither is required...nor would having them "out of order" be in any way devastating.

Do what you want!

• It's not really a big deal, but I wanted to double check that doing the Bouquet first isn't "weird" before I tell my DJ I want that (since he insists that the bouquet is 2nd).

Thanks for the help!!!

Anniversary
  • I've always seen the bouquet toss first but I don't think it matters.
  • I don't think it really matters but to me it makes more sense to do the bouquet first because then you can stay up there for the first part of the garter toss when your h removes it (tastefully!) and then leave the dance floor.

• I've always seen the bouquet toss first.  That's kind of odd that your DJ has such a strong opinion. 
  • It doesn't matter - do whatever you want. You're hiring your DJ, so you tell him what you want. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree that it doesn't really matter which comes first.
  • It doesn't matter, but I've always seen the bouquet tossed first. 
  • I've always seen the bouquet toss first, but both are gross.

Anniversary

• I loved your post dreamer.
  • It's YOUR wedding, throw them however you please.  

That said, I think your DJ is nuts.  When there is a toss, I've always seen the bouquet first, and sometimes only the bouquet with no garter. Whichever way you go, be careful about letting the kids in on this fun.  Last time I saw this a super cute flower girl caught the bouquet, and then the groom's already-drunk college roommate caught the garter. He put it on her foot, but still gross.  

If you're going to do this, maybe have the wedding party be on the lookout to be sure the two who catch are of similar ages?

• Dreamergirl8812 lol

Kara71428 yes I agree. it will be a no kids event so hopefully that will keep everything fun!

Anniversary
  • the only time it is amusing to watch the catcher of the garter put the garter on is when the bouquet catcher is the crazy-fun crazy-old great aunt and she makes it way more embarrassing for the drunk 20 or 30 something! But that's a rare gem - so it's best to skip that part of the toss business :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• When in doubt Ladies First!

Wait what? I have never been to a wedding where the garter is put on the person who catches the bouquet. Maybe again its a Canadian thing- we don't want to offend anyone Haha

• edited September 2013
    Please don't have anyone put the garter on whoever catches the bouquet. The garter hunt/toss are strange enough as it is (taking off a piece of the bride's lingerie in front of her family/friends). If the bride and groom consent to doing this together, that's their thing. But please please please do not make the catchers participate in replacing the garter. No one wants to wear used/unwashed lingerie and have a stranger (or worse, a relative) put it on them in front of a large crowd of people. If they do and they beg you to let them do this, then consider it. My guess is that it's not going to happen.

ETA: spelling
    *********************************************************************************

• Wow I didn't realize how many people had such strong feelings about this. Every wedding I have been to that has done this, it never seemed like a big deal. I guess it depends on the person and the group and how comfortable you are with that group.

Anniversary
  • Wow I didn't realize how many people had such strong feelings about this. Every wedding I have been to that has done this, it never seemed like a big deal. I guess it depends on the person and the group and how comfortable you are with that group.
    Eh. The people in this world who know I despise the bouquet/garter tosses are me, my FI, and knotties.

Anniversary

Eh. The people in this world who know I despise the bouquet/garter tosses are me, my FI, and knotties.

Same here - it's that thing where online strangers will tell you what they're really thinking but wouldn't tell you how much they side eye it... My friends/family probably think I have no problem with this, that I think dollar dances are cute and that I'd prefer a cash bar.... Woof to all three.

• ElcaB said:
    It doesn't matter, but I've always seen the bouquet tossed first. 
    ^^ Ditto this
    I've always seen the bouquet toss first, but both are gross.
    ^^ as well as this.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • In all the weddings I went to either the bouquet toss came before the garter, or there was no garter toss at all.  I personally don't like either of these traditions so i am not doing them at my wedding.  I am also one to hide when they call all the single ladies to the dance floor (if I'm dating I'm not single!)
  • I would do the bouquet toss, it's weird that the DJ is arguing with you over something that is only going to take 5 minutes....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards