Offbeat Weddings

Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Etc...

My fiance and I are both in love with sci-fi and different "nerdy" shows like that.  We are planning on having a semi-traditional wedding but we really want to incorporate our favorite things into the reception.  We are getting married next September and so far all we have is a sign by the door to the reception saying "Mawwage is what bwings us together today." and I'll be walking down the aisle to Amy's Theme. We know for the most part we want the stuff put into our centerpeices.  We have no problem with our tables not matching we just have yet to figure out a way that it all works together. Here is a list of some the things we love but it's definitely not all all them:

Harry Potter
Doctor Who
Star Wars
Star Trek
Princess Bride
Game of Thrones
Lord of the Rings
True Blood
Firefly
Fringe
Supernatural
Superheroes

Any help would be much appreciated! thank you all in advance for any input  you may have! (:

Re: Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Etc...

• Firstly, this weekend I went to a Princess Bride-themed wedding ceremony and it was great. I got to help "heckle" the bride during the ceremony (think of the scene when Buttercup is walking and the old, dirty lady is booing at her), after which other guests "in" on it shouted out reasons why they are an awesome couple. (This was the bride's surprise for the groom... and it worked out great!)

Anyway, ideas...

• Heroes (save the cheerleader, save the world!)
    • Bing Bang Theory (I personally hate this show, but I have lots of fellow dorks who actually like it... for whatever reason... ugh.)
    • Being Human
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you like Lord of the Rings, you can incorporate the ring of power speech into the giving of the Rings to each other :) I love all those things. we're keeping it traditional except the storm trooper groom's cake 
  • You could make blue envelopes like the ones the Doctor uses to invite River, Amy and Rory to Utah. The invitations themselves could reference a different show or movie. 

Idk, just with so many different shows you are incorporating I wouldn't make everything about the invitations reference one show. That is just me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oooh oooh! For bride & groom chair signs: "my sun and stars"/"moon of my life"!
  • I'm using Han Solo & Princess Leia Lego minifigures on the wedding cake. I quoted Star Wars on the rsvp cards: "We would be honored if your wold join us" [Vader] - which you have to be uber geek to recognize as a few friends did. And for the attending/not attending: ___ Will be there when the fun begins [ a derivative of Han Solo quote] ___ Will raise a toast from far, far away [well, you know where I got that one]
    Also sneaking subtle geek hints in all over, like, walking down the aisle to Princess Leia's Theme which if you don't know what it exactly is, just ends up sounding like a nice instrumental. Subtle geek is my specialty. 
  • My fiance asked me if his best man could wear the hand of the king instead of a flower on his tux.   He also wants to take a picture after the ceremony that has the Xbox Achievement box above us that says "Achievement Unlocked: Get Married"

We had friends do the picture with all the groomsmen wearing super hero shirts under their tuxes.

I've seen putting a Sorting Hat on the seating card table, if you have 4 different entree options, each house represents what they ordered. (Gryffindor red = beef, Slytherin green = veggie, Ravenclaw blue = fish and Hufflepuff yellow = chicken)

"Shiny, lets be married"
  • You could make your table names couples from your favorites like... Harry & Ginny, Amy & Rory.. etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm trying to slyly incorporate something HP into my wedding because my FH is the anti-nerd.  As much as I'd love to have a Tardis cake topper, I'm pretty sure DW would be going too far.  I'm thinking about adding some wizard-related props into the props box for the photo booth (wands, hats, harry style glasses) or maybe clever table names. I don't want a "themed" wedding, but I think it would be fun to include certain passions (nerd or otherwise) of ours within the wedding.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ahhh we're getting married in September next year too! AND we pretty much have the same idea as you. It's so hard to figure out how to make it all go together.
  • thanks everyone for all the replies. we've decided to make all of our influences be pretty simple.  We're having four different signature drinks and naming them based off of things on my list.  For sure, I know we're having a drink called "Butterbeer" and one called "Sonic Screwdriver".  Also, My FI is in love with the Princess Bride so we're having "As You Wish" written on the cake.

• We're actually trying to put as many subtle Legend of Zelda references into the wedding as possible. No idea how that'll work out.

We're thinking about having the person carrying the rings do so in a copy of the Princess Bride that we've hollowed out to make into a box.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • My FH is geeky, but doesn't like admitting it, so he is very resistant to incorporating obvious fandom things.  However, I have convinced him to make an Unbreakable Vow with me, since HP is my very favorite.  Still working on the wording, but we'll be saying "I do" 3 times for each part of the vow.  

I'm also walking down to The Princess Bride Theme (Instrumental), and we will probably be incorporating other music into the ceremony and cocktail hour.
  • We're adding a few hints of Star Wars in ours... Han and leia cake toppers with a galaxy themed cake, walking out of the ceremony to the star wars intro and into the reception to Leia's song, I will be wearing a star wars garter (got from etsy) and he will have rebel alliance cufflinks, oh and I turned our cake knife into a lightsaber!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Here's what I'm doing to have a somewhat traditional wedding with geeky undertones:

-Flowers made out of comic books and pages from LOTR
    -Table runners made of the same
    -Imperial crest earrings for me, Rebel Alliance cufflinks for him
    -Lightsaber pen for signing 

That's all so far.  More geekiness may creep in.  You could do geeky cake-toppers, too. 
  • I apologize for arriving late to this party, but i just found the Offbeat board. Can we be best friends!? I have alternative bouquets for myself and bridesmaids made from book page flowers, Princess Bride, HP, LOTR, GOT, and I will have a TARDIS pin in my dress for something blue. I love your ideas! I may have to do something along the lines of the mawwage sign. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KristaRogersKristaRogers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2013
    I just went to a gamer/ Mario themed wedding. It was so cute! They had the flowers all made to look like the fire flowers and mushrooms, and when they put their rings on it made the coin collection sound. They had their first dance on a DDR machine! They had so many little details that made their wedding so unique, and so them. Look at what you love most about each thing and try to incorporate that into your wedding. I'm sure Harry Potter and Game of Thrones alone can give you lots of inspiration. :) I too am late to this post, but I hope it helps!
  • rycbar123rycbar123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013

Thanks for all the help ladies! We still have 9 months to the wedding so your ideas are definitely still helpful!

ETA spelling is hard

• rycbar123rycbar123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013

double post

• Epar0802 said:
    My fiance asked me if his best man could wear the hand of the king instead of a flower on his tux. 
    This. We're calling him the "Hand of the Groom."
  • I love LOTR my my fiancee is into the movie too so im going to talk to him more about that theme tonight. we have plenty of time. We are also huge Marvel Avengers fans, we play the game a lot. Love the Marvel Characters, but we think we want to have our wedding at our local zoo, they have beautiful locations, food reviews ect, and tours have been wonderful. He also proposed to me with the "penguin pebble story" my favorite animal is the penguin, when the penguins are in mating season they all search the shores for the perfect pebble and present it to the one he/she desires for life. (he presented me with a (penguin pebble) in a ring box with a story and all kinds of stuff attached to it. So I think I wanted to somehow incorporate penguins into it, and we can have them come into the wedding/reception/photos for small fee. so.. still thinking on how to all work this out.
  • ahh @hisnikkie - that is the absolute greatest thing I LOVED pebble and the penguin growing up!!! that made me all warm inside.  My FI was going to propose at the chicago zoo during the penguin experiance but he wasn't able to for different reasons.

• Oh my, I love all of your ideas and incorporations! I'm doing the same thing, which is why it's just "things we love". I originally tried to go just traditional, but soon realized everything was creeping in anyway. Now I'm just embracing it.

• I'm really excited for our Doctor Who inspired wedding this April! It's a really subtle theme, though, since only my fiancé and I are really fans. My shoes are TARDIS blue, and instead of ties, we're doing bow ties. Instead of fancy bows on our flowers, I'm having bow ties on the bouquets, as well. Everything we're doing is a Starry Night and Sunflower theme (the Eleventh Doctor is our main inspiration). The Starry Night theme is a little tricky, so I'm painting everything myself (invitations and all… thank goodness they scan well!). I'm also hiding TARDISs and other Doctor Who things for a fun little scavenger hunt for the kids that will be there :) I'm debating what to do for table numbers, though… But everything we're doing is just perfect for us! OH! Our cake!!! Our cake is going to have yellow and blue swirls on it (reminiscent of Starry Night), and it will be topped by sunflowers. The cake topper we have is going to be too heavy for the cake (the bakery doesn't believe in fondant), so the cake will be on tiers, and underneath we'll have a bride and groom running into the TARDIS. 
  • @jessiray Ideas for table numbers: obviously up to eleven(now twelve) pictures of the doctors, companion names, also there is a Gallifreyan generator somewhere online where it will translate anything into you guessed it--Gallifreyan. You could write in English or number form the table numbers and under have the Gallifreyan translation. I love all your ideas though. Also, I was sent this link today: http://candicebenjamin.com/blog/2013/01/28/through-all-of-space-time-doctor-who-inspired-wedding-day/#f
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jessirayjessiray member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    @Artemischief thank you so much!!! I'll definitely look in to those :)

• B0320B0320 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    hisnikkie
    So, I just found this board and I love the penguin pebble story! A cute (and discreet) way to incorporate it could be to use pebbles in your centerpieces  :)
  • KristinandZKristinandZ member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
  • @Arte that was a great site, everything looked so classy!

I love sunflowers, I think everything sounds like it would go together just beautifully. I just finished my card box this evening - it doesn't really go with the subtle, lol.
  • @KristinandZ That is magnificent! If that's what I think it is, I got the same cookie jar for Christmas! Also, was that Inigo Montoya on the side? I couldn't quite tell, but if it was, brilliant!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards