Luxury Weddings
Options

Reception Venue

2»

Re: Reception Venue

• Options
    Good luck to all the bar-taking ladies.  I took the NY Bar 8 years ago.  It was very stressful, but remember, you only need to pass, not excel at the test.
  • Options
    @CrazyCatLady3 thanks!  Halfway done :)
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    We decided on our venue (not the one that had the tack-on fees).  I'm in contract and am dropping off the deposit this week, so I will AW it here:

It's a new rooftop venue with floor to ceiling windows, blocks from Times Square.  You feel like you are floating among the NYC skyline!  The exclusive caterer does really creative, not-typical-wedding-food stuff.  I'm excited!

• Options
    The view at your venue is absolutely stunning!
  • Options
    The view at your venue is absolutely stunning!
    Thanks!  Unfortunately there are no interior shots yet; it is still under construction.  I had to wear a hard hat for the venue visit. :)
  • Options
    Beautiful!!
  • Options
    Looks beautiful! Our venue had floor to ceiling windows and was out over the ocean. It makes for amazing pictures!
  • Options
    Gorgeous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I wish all luxury vanues were like that...when we went to look at the Ritz here in Charlotte, they made a huge point of telling us it was the most expensive place to get married in the city, and then we got a whole list of things that were "included" but only the base models were included, and anything that was actually nice to look at was an upcharge.  Of course.

Fortunately we like the venue we selected even better than the Ritz, and it actually includes really nice chairs that alone would have cost us a $12/each "upgrade fee" at the Ritz.  It was super annoying that the Ritz was all "weddings starting at $150/person!" and then they say "oh plus 22% service fee (gratuity not included in there), 8.25% tax, and necessary upgrades to the standard chairs cake, bar offerings, linens, china, etc."  No thank you.  But nice try.

• Options
    KatWAG said:

I have a venue horror story. To start, we picked a venue like the OP, where everything was included. We could use their tables, chair, stage etc if we wanted or they allowed us to bring in whatever we wanted. I was so excited.

As I have mentioned, I got married the weekend NATO/ G8 Summit was in Chicago last year. (the summit hadnt been announced when I picked my venue/ date)

My venue sent me an email about 2 months before our wedding date, strongly incouraging us to change our wedding date. Our venue was a city owned/ public building and within the "Red Zone" and they were worried that the building would be stormed by protestors. The "Red Zone" was where the city expected all of the protestors to gather. They wanted us to move the wedding to 4th of July weekend. I had already put down deposits on everything and invites were supposed to go out later that week. I did not want to change everything and risk loosing so much money.

We had to fight to keep the building open thus allowing us to keep our original date. Luckily it all worked out. We had police and private security there, but there wasnt a protestor insight. I was so relieved.

OMG!! I remember that weekend... I'm so glad it all worked out for you.

Yup, I have an all-inclusive restaurant in Chicago where we're doing both ceremony and reception. You have the price per head plus 20% "service" and taxes and.... that's it. Some nosy folks have tried to find out how much I'm paying per head to have my wedding there, but I end up brushing it off as, "Well, it's quite a bit but the price per head covers so much more than food. It includes bar, linens, even small centerpieces, cake, menus, place cards, table numbers, not to mention we have the place for like 6 hours so the cost per head is totally worth it so I don't get nickle-and-dimed or go crazy with the planning!"   

Incidentally, for everyone who believes (unlike myself) in the "cover your plate" rule I wonder if they only ever thought about food and booze or considered the true cost of hosting you? Would make quite a difference! 

• Options
    flojo973 said:
    Looks beautiful! Our venue had floor to ceiling windows and was out over the ocean. It makes for amazing pictures!
    Ooh...that reminds me of one place I looked at in Atlantic City - it was gorgeous! 
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Grabows14Grabows14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    I love our venue. Like most of you, many places were adding on the cost of 22% gratuity and 10% taxes (yay chicago!). We ended up right outside the city, which is great for a few reasons: our venue is huge, relaxed alcohol rules (bottle of vodka on each table), lower taxes and gratuity, and 6 hour reception and 6 hours of open bar, so worth it. The only bad thing is that chiavari chairs are $9pp extra, other than that, I'm happy with all the extras included.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards