Wedding Reception Forum

Anyone use a kid's room/baby sitter/something like that?

Out of 70 or so people at our wedding, a dozen will probably be kids. A couple will be babies so they'll probably stay with their parents, but I'm thinking of coming up with a way to keep it fun for kids and parents. Maybe have my oldest nephew or best friend's sister babysit for a little money or who knows, hire out? Has anyone done this and how did you work it?

Re: Anyone use a kid's room/baby sitter/something like that?

• Ehhh with such a small wedding, I think having the kids around isn't an issue, it will probably keep things interesting. I would say if you wanted to have your best friend's sister do something at an activity table that would be ok. But honestly, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it.
  • You want to give a family member or your best friend's family member a job on your wedding day? Just have the kids at your wedding or don't invite them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The people I'm thinking of are people that would enjoy doing it, not just random people that I'd twist their arms into it. Cool your jets. And kids are welcome but most 3 year olds would be pretty bored by the time the reception rolls around. I'm thinking of this as a convenience for everybody to keep them entertained, not keep them locked in a room somewhere. 

I'm cool with some snark but some days it seems like a pissing contest to see who can call someone out on doing something maybe a little uncouth the fastest and bitchiest. 
  • huynhette said:
    Ehhh with such a small wedding, I think having the kids around isn't an issue, it will probably keep things interesting. I would say if you wanted to have your best friend's sister do something at an activity table that would be ok. But honestly, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Then again it's sort of a DW for many (I'm from OR and that's where it will be while his side is coming from MN and elsewhere) so for most guests getting a babysitter if they want one isn't a simple matter of dropping the kids off at grandma's for one night. 
  • We are just doing little bags for the kids at our wedding with coloring books and little activities. Could you do something like that so no one has a specific job? Or have a kids tables/kids area?
  • I was going to get a babysitter for mine (but 4 of the kids cancelled). My venue had a few that they specifically recommend. I think it would have been about $200 (not bad in my opinion). The sitters were licensed, drug tested, CPR certified, Hep tested, etc. etc. etc. I initially put the info on my wedding website saying that parents could use the service if they wanted and could take them to the sitter area and back to the reception as they desired. Then I mentioned the open bar.

I thought it was a good idea, just ended up not needing it.

Anniversary

• Of the 5 kids we anticipate coming, 3 are young teens. For the other two little girls, I'm making them activity bags with crayons, coloring books, a small puzzle, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What is the venue like? If there's space for kids on the dance floor or for the kids to act like kids, I wouldn't do something like this. If it's a formal, tight on space place with breakables, a kidIt just causes more problems than it solves. How old are the kids? Babies stay with their parents, and once they are about 8 they can behave... It's only the 3-8 range that would benefit most from sitters. Are people coming from OOT? If there are people coming from out of town, and there are several kids in the 3-8 range, I think a nearby kids room that parents could take/leave their kids from at any time would work well. 
  • Yeah I guess it probably won't be necessary. Most are babies. There's going to be probably only going to be like 3-5 toddlers. I like the idea of leaving some puzzles and stuff. 
  • FiancB            You can make free coloring books online, just fyi.
  • the kids dancing at our reception was one of the best memories I have.  Most parents will know to have something to keep the kids entertained if needed.  save your money and let everyone enjoy the reception.

Anniversary
  • I am  having at least 2 aides at the wedding.  The only children will be bridal party, but that is at least a 4 year old, 8 year old triplets and a 9 year old.  And 2 are autistic (and I say only because it is 4 years away & my brother wants more children)   I know its strange, but we want all our nieces and nephews there, but no other children.  I'm planning on turning the bridal suite into a quiet room once things get going in case they need a quiet place or meltdowns happen.
  • I plan on doing the same as Tricia. The only kids invited/coming to mine are my 4 year old nephew, 6 month old niece, and 1 year old because his parents are out of state guests. It's not just about coloring books and dancing...when a 1 year old and 4 year old get tired and cranky, they NEED to nap. So I plan on hiring someone (a friend of a friend) to literally just sit in the bridal suite with a pack and play for them to sleep. It's only going to cost me about $75 and it will save my brother from having to leave early and take his kids home to bed. 
  • The problem with having the kids in the reception area (when they are quite young at least) is that they might take away from the parents enjoyment because the parents still have to babysit them and watch them.  I'm having a separate room during dinner with two babysitters that I have hired, and after the dinner and the speeches the kids will come back.  The parents then get a break and the kids get to watch a movie instead of speeches. 

• kerbohl said:
    The problem with having the kids in the reception area (when they are quite young at least) is that they might take away from the parents enjoyment because the parents still have to babysit them and watch them.  I'm having a separate room during dinner with two babysitters that I have hired, and after the dinner and the speeches the kids will come back.  The parents then get a break and the kids get to watch a movie instead of speeches. 
    First:  If you are the parent it is called "parenting" not "babysitting" and if you do not want to supervise your child during a wedding you will either get a babysitter yourself or not attend.  

Second:  Are the children not getting dinner?  Are you requiring that they be in this room?  If so are the parents being made aware in advance of this requirement?

Third:  I don't let someone I have never met babysit my child.  I'm sure I'm not the only parent who feels that way.

Fourth:  It's not up to you to decide if parents want a break from their children.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mysticl My apologies - the parents still have to "parent" them and watch them.  I want to give the parents a break, hence the babysitter.  If I didn't have a babysitter present, I'm sure these parents wouldn't complain that they would have to watch their own children. 

Of course the children are getting dinner!  I apologize for my following harsh words, but your second point makes me sound like an idiot - I'm not  going to starve children upstairs while the adults eat downstairs.  What kind of person does that at their wedding?  What do you take me for?  The parents are already aware of what the children will be eating and that they will be watching a movie upstairs. 

The babysitter is one of the children's aunts - my sister-in-law's sister.  All the parents and their children already know this person.

And as to your last point, the children aren't required to be there - at least I'm giving the parents an opportunity to have a break.  I have already covered all my bases, and I have discussed this with the parents beforehand, otherwise I would have taken things into consideration.  But thank you for assuming that I would not do that and just herd children into a dark room where they aren't fed. 

• kerbohl said:
    @mysticl My apologies - the parents still have to "parent" them and watch them.  I want to give the parents a break, hence the babysitter.  If I didn't have a babysitter present, I'm sure these parents wouldn't complain that they would have to watch their own children. 

Of course the children are getting dinner!  I apologize for my following harsh words, but your second point makes me sound like an idiot - I'm not  going to starve children upstairs while the adults eat downstairs.  What kind of person does that at their wedding?  What do you take me for?  The parents are already aware of what the children will be eating and that they will be watching a movie upstairs. 

The babysitter is one of the children's aunts - my sister-in-law's sister.  All the parents and their children already know this person.

And as to your last point, the children aren't required to be there - at least I'm giving the parents an opportunity to have a break.  I have already covered all my bases, and I have discussed this with the parents beforehand, otherwise I would have taken things into consideration.  But thank you for assuming that I would not do that and just herd children into a dark room where they aren't fed. 
    Your wording could lead someone to believe that it was required. Nowhere in your post did you say that it was a option you were offering.  Your wording also implied that the children were being sent away and would return after dinner and the speeches.  You said they would watch a movie, you did not say they would eat.  I would hope that was not the case but like I said your wording makes one wonder.  I have no idea how old the kids are that will be in this room, or how many but depending on those things it might be very difficult for 2 babysitters to get them all fed.  

You did start your post out by describing young children at a wedding reception as being a "problem" so it does lead one to believe that you would not be entirely considerate of their needs but instead see them as something that needs to be "dealt" with.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ah, that makes more sense.  I was describing my plans in brief.  I am glad you don't think I would be the type to do such things to children.  Sorry for my tirade - it was uncalled for then.  I don't see children as a problem, and I do love my nephews, but with their mother being MOH, she might be overwhelmed, which to me is a problem - not the children, her being overwhelmed.  But I was unclear before. 

• We are having a sitter at ours. It will be my sister who volunteered. She is mainly going to be caring my DD who will be 13 months at the time. Although I've also opened it up to any other parents/kids who need a quiet room or run-around-and-act-crazy room.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards